What's new

Ocean's 13 (1 Viewer)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Hey, this thread should be titled Ocean's Thirteen! The Rat Pack version is called Ocean's 11 and the remake is called Ocean's Eleven, being as it's spelled out. Helps to differentiate the two. I own Ocean's Eleven and would own Ocean's Twelve but it's strangely lacking the features the first one carried.
Guess people who aren't too inclined and not in the know are clamoring for Ocean's One through Ten.:crazy:
Can't wait to see Ocean's Thirteen though!

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Loved Ocean's Eleven, hated Ocean's Twelve, here's hoping for lucky number Thirteen.

Teaser wasn't much though.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
I quite liked Ocean's Eleven, but I loved Ocean's Twelve. Just watched it again last night as a matter of fact. I know I'm in the minority on that front, but I thought it had style up the wazoo, a huge sense of fun, great music and plot points/twists that worked for me.

Anyhoo, also looking forward a great deal to #13.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I thought Ocean's 11 was a great fun heist film - nothing deep, but pure style and cool.

Ocean's 12 was such a disappointment. The twists and turns were unbelievable, and the plot points lacked credibility - raising an entire building in one week? Tess impersonating Julia Roberts? Holograms? The whole film just felt like they all got together to have fun in Europe, and making a movie was a secondary consideration.

Still, I'm looking forward to Ocean's 13, and hoping for a film closer to 11 than 12.

Poster art is available here.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I agree about Ocean's 12. It started with a great premise then degenerated into an almost abstract exercise -- "character scenes" and weirdly-shot sequences which did little advance the plot (which became almost inconsequential)... so an interesting movie, definitely, almost art-house in its ambitions?

But yeah, the whole "Julia Roberts" thing was really, really, really stupid. Did I mention it was really stupid?

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Well, I did say I was in the minority...:D

Hell, they raised it in one night. Using equipment that probably was worth more than what they were trying to steal. Credibility wasn't the aim of the film though.

Oh well, I bought into it. I can see why others didn't.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Ocean's 11 was an effective heist picture. Ocean's 12 was the closest a studio film has come to the embodying the French New Wave aesthetic since, uh, the French New Wave. Twelve is a jazz riff on the concept of a heist movie, 2 hours of jubilant experimental cinema, infused with the joy of the possiblities of moviemaking. It's all in the attitude. Ocean's 11 was about some guys stealing some money. Ocean's 12 is about shooting megastars with grainy handheld cameras and filming an airplane landing sideways simply because nobody else does.

As far as populist cinema goes, it's a terrific picture. Unfortunately, I doubt much of today's audience is going to dig the new wave aesthetic, particuarly when 1) they're not familiar with that sort of thing, and/or 2) they're rightfully expecting another "more of the same" straightforward effort, having seen the first film.

Regards,
Nathan

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Interesting to see Andy Garcia back. Glad they got Pacino in this one too; you really need a heavyweight to stand up to the star power of these guys now after two films.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I liked Ocean's 12 although I didn't think it was as entertaining as 11. This one might be fun. :)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
The final trailer has been released. Check it out at www.oceans13.com.

I can now say that I'm looking forward to the movie. The idea alone has me sold, as it brings us right back to where we started in Ocean's Eleven: Las Vegas. Not only that, there look to be some great lines and situations. If there are even more in the movie, it will be a good time at the movies.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was pretty entertaining in that it was paced rather well, but it was a little shallow in character development (almost impossible to do the entire crew justice in that area, but they all got a chance to shine in the film). The film pretty much expects viewers to know the crew from the previous installments, so little is mentioned of who's who, and the film just hits the ground running and never lets up.

The conclusion had some good all around moments where pretty much everyone got their just desserts.

I give it 2.75 stars or a grade of B-.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why do we need to have character development on characters we've known from three films? Yes, if I was the filmmaker I would assume that the audience knows the crew from the previous installments. It's not like the other two films were made so long ago that nobody remembers them with this latest installment which makes it three films in six years along with the various home video releases of them.

This film isn't as good as the first film, but is much better than the last one.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I guess watching the same Ocean's gang pulling off a revenge heist is fine for a generic followup, but with minimal character development, it just feels like a film going through the motion for most of its running time. Sure, there are some double-edged bits at the end of the film (more about the actor's future plans, not so much their character's plans), but not enough to make you care to know about what's going to happen to any of these thieves in the future. I think good character development makes the viewer more emotionally invested in the characters. Perhaps, I just wanted to be more surprised by at least some of these characters in this 3rd installment of the Ocean's trilogy, but got mostly the same-old, same-old.

The film is somewhat charming in its battle of the analog age vs. digital age of thievery and surveillance/security, but lacked the humorous and wink-of-the eye undertones from the Ocean's 11. With a crew this big, it's mainly all heist, with superficial human elements providing the close calls inherent in pulling off such a heist. The all-too-convenient setups against Willie Bank's character flaws are just too predictable (as well as other power plays) and made Willie Bank far too one-dimensional of a villain, and the tension somewhat simmers, but never approaches boiling point to get you to the edge of your seat by the time the film concludes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you want to see a film just going through the motion then watch the second film again. This film is a lot better and like I said earlier, I didn't need a lot of character development on characters I already feel I know well enough.

Crawdaddy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

How much are you willing to pay me to sit through O12 again? What a groaner it was.

I think most people who have seen all 3 will have this preference order: O11 > O13 > O12. No big mystery there. :D

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Loved this film, just as much as I loved the last two. I know Ocean's Twelve is considered the ball headed step child of the series but I dug the hell out of that film.

To be honest, I can honestly say I can't choose a favorite in this series. The wife and I came home after the film and literally rifted on elements we loved to death in all three films. And amazingly, we just couldn't choose a favorite.

Can Soderbergh's Ocean series be in the continuing argument over best series/franchise/trilogies?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I checked around before posting, but I guess Julia Roberts and Catherine Zeta Jones will not be in this film because of the way the story is constructed, they wouldn't have anything to contribute. That's too bad. I still plan to see O13 next week.

By the way, I just saw O12 last week for the first time. I liked it. I liked the experimental nature of the film, I didn't get the vibe that they were just having a party as they filmed the movie. One poster above mentions that O12 has a French New Wave style, if that's what it is, I saw it a refreshing change for a major A list type Hollywood film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Maybe, the media reports of the cast partying at different European locations had something to do with that vibe as well as their lackluster acting performances.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks