What's new

Ocean's 11 DVD widescreen OUTSELLS pan & scan version (1 Viewer)

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
In Bentonvill, Arkansas, birthplace of Walmart, there is a Walmart store carrying both the widescreen version and pan & scan of Ocean's 11 in special display cases. The widescreen version is selling much faster. Walmart is most likely conducting a marketing test at this time.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
It's possible, but unlikely. When Wally World does an in-store marketing test, they roll it out to several stores to get a more accurate reading. For instance, when they did a market test for DVD in '97, they tested it at 85 carefully chosen stores across the United States. This way makes more sense, as they see a larger cross-section of demographics that shop their stores everywhere, versus the Ozark Kings and Queens in good ol' Bentonville.
A funny side note: Ocean's 11 is not outselling it's last-year competitor... Miss Congeniality!! At my store, the Widescreen is selling 2 to 1, as well, but Ms. Bullock's comedy from last year outperformed Ocean's this year, comparably. Unbelievable to me, for sure.

Matt

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I recently received the widescreen version of this film as a gift, but the disc inside turned out to be the so-called "standard" version (P&S). Argh! This happen to anyone else?

Can anyone tell me the ratio of the (proper) widescreen version of this film? My box says "scope"; the included behind-the-scenes showed clips that appeared 1.85:1. The "(sub)standard" version, to my eyes, appears to be some sort of unmatted super35-style presentation, which at least keeps some of the horizontal composition intact (not as much chopping on the sides, but empty space above and below).

curiously,

~steve

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Steve;

The aspect ratio of "Ocean's Eleven" is indeed aprrox. 2.40:1. I'm not sure how the movie was filmed, however, or how the framing of the "full screen" version compares to the widescreen one.

In any case, I'd certainly return the disc to the store, if I were you.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
My Costco carried the Widescreen version only. I thanked them by buying a copy (O11 was a film I was on the fence about) and dropping a comment card thanking them. Perhaps they'll continue providing Widescreen when there is a choice. They hadn't before.

I'm very pleased with the sales split on this one. I'd prefer that they released strictly widescreen, but I'll be content for an opportunity to buy titles as I prefer.

I'm still dreading the eventual Iron Giant SE release.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I recently received the widescreen version of this film as a gift, but the disc inside turned out to be the so-called "standard" version (P&S). Argh! This happen to anyone else?
Never happened to me, but I have read on this very forum that some people like to switch their own P&S versions with a widescreen version if they got the wrong disc etc...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Very good news indeed. I want to keep encouraging those of us who take the time to educate our newer friends and acquaintances to the benefits of widescreen. That makes all the difference in the world! Keep up the great work, guys!

Eric T

Second Unit
Next week's DVD sales chart shows the widescreen version of Ocean's 11 at No. 1 and the full-screen DVD at No. 2.
With P&S catching up, it could be that the home theater enthusiasts that perfer widescreen are simply buying the movie before the average Joe because they know exactly when it is released.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
With P&S catching up, it could be that the home theater enthusiasts that perfer widescreen are simply buying the movie before the average Joe because they know exactly when it is released.
Could be, but "Spy Game" also debuted at #1 (WS) and #2 (P&S). However, it's the WS version that remains on the chart several weeks later, while the P&S version has disappeared.

I also find it somewhat heartening that on the latest chart the new widescreen-only releases "The Others" and "From Hell" are selling better than Disney's P&S only "Snow Dogs."

Rob T

Screenwriter
I also find it somewhat heartening that on the latest chart the new widescreen-only releases "The Others" and "From Hell" are selling better than Disney's P&S only "Snow Dogs."
Well, to be fair, Snow Dogs wasn't a big of a hit as From Hell and The Others was.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
"From Hell"? A hit? Actually, "From Hell" was the stinker in this group with only $32M at the box office.

"Snow Dogs" did quite well with about $81M, with "The Others" at about $96M.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Didnt read the thread yet, but just wanted to get this out..
My local Mom&pop DVD rental place had oceans 11 in today, so my dad goes out and rents it. I load up the disc, then DUH DUH DUH, the dreaded message THIS MOVIE HAS BEEN MODIFIED TO FIT YOUR TELEVISION SCREEN...
The second i saw that, i promptly said aloud DAMMIT in front of my family. They then looked at me in curiosity, i watched the credits, and just couldnt stand it. I left and now im here complaining. :)
If they didnt have a P&S version, this wouldve never happened!
Anyways, woohoo, go Widescreen

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The second i saw that, i promptly said aloud DAMMIT in front of my family. They then looked at me in curiosity, i watched the credits, and just couldnt stand it. I left and now im here complaining
Did you not satisfy their curiosity and explain what you were upset about?
It might have been the perfect time to explain to them the benefits of widescreen (which I assume they don't understand, from the context of your story).
Never waste opportunities like that! :)

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a question from ignorance -

What is the obsession with Walmart? You would think that living in the shadow NYC we would see it all, but Walmart just doesn't seem to be a big player here (actually, they opened their first store in my town just 6 months ago). I enjoy the prices, but was turned off by censored CD's and the abundance of Pan & Scan titles, so I don't buy my home entertainment software there. (OK - I admit that older titles - like "Kingpin" for instance - are worthy of a $9 purchase along with the T-Shirts, light bulbs and toilet paper). I ususally purchase CD's and DVD's at "electronic stores" like Best Buy, Circut City etc. I find they usually have the same prices as Walmart on new releases.

I would never wait on line at a warehouse store (i.e. - Costco)for a DVD behind 100 people buying cases of tuna fish and peanut butter.

So my question is: are these warehouse stores and Walmart so abundant, and the electronic stores so few and far between - that many people do not have a serious choice? One seems to be as common as the other around these parts.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Alex, in smaller towns, especially in the middle of the country, Walmart *IS* just about the only game in town. In fact, I know of towns where the local businessmen fought (usually unsucessfully) to keep Walmart out.

For example, my parents live in Ruidoso, New Mexico. A monster Walmart supercenter opened up a few years ago and has succeeded in pushing several smaller retailers out of business. They couldn't compete with Walmart's pricing, selection, and hours of operation. (The store in question is open from 6am until midnight every day.)

-greg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The answer is yes.

Most of America is quite rural and Wal-Mart has largely taken over as "THE shopping destination" for many rural customers. Wal-Mart is really the only major chain retailer within a 40-mile radius of where I live. If I drive 40 miles, I can reach a larger city where there's a bunch of chains including Circuit City and Best Buy (which just opened last fall). But it's a heck of a lot more convenient to just stop at the local Wal-Mart on the way home from work.

There are about 3,200 Wal-Mart stores/Sam's Clubs in the US. There are only about 400 Best Buy and, I believe, about 600 Circuit City stores nationwide. So yes, Wal-Mart has penetrated the US market further than any other retailer and is the ONLY major retail shopping choice for much of America. That is why they have so much control over the types of products that reach the masses. Lots of people have to buy what's available unless they want to drive long distances (many don't) or have the ability/desire to buy on-line (again, many don't).

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info on Walmart - I guess I should consider myself lucky to have so many choices....

Just another querry - I KNOW that Walmart often sells censored versions of CD's - NOT just the covers, but actually edited versions where "offensive material" is mixed out. With that kind of market penetration, do you ever feel that you might actually be getting less of a DVD than you can get at another retailer? I am aware that their prices are more than competitive = but I would be lying if I said I always shop for prices. I would rather go to the local mall and get ripped of by Sam Goody/Musicland/Cocoanuts if I thought my "bargain" was somehow altered....

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
Wal-Mart does not edit any movies, video games, or computer software, just music. I don't see why everyone here complains about Wal-Mart, they get Widescreen releases of every title that has been available in widescreen, espically on big releases, everyone here acts like that they only stock pan and scan versions of everything, and to someone who said something that they all sku things together they don't widscreen and pan scan both have a sperate UPC labels and are counted differently from one another. Another thing is Wal-Mart is not the actual company buying the movies, DVD's, they have a company called Anderson Merchandising that actually takes care of all the ordering of music, DVDs, and VHS, although I'm sure Wal-Mart has say in what exactly is ordered and what not, Anderson is the one actually doing the ordering and filling of products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks