What's new

Ocean's 11 DVD widescreen OUTSELLS pan & scan version (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I received some "inside" information which
may or may not be available to the public as
of yet.
I thought I'd pass this little ditty along....

Warner released Ocean's 11 in both WideScreen
and P/S. The numbers are phenomenal, with the
widescreen version outselling P/S two-to-one.
That is, without looking at what it did at WalMart.
Warner doesn't release two versions of their
titles very often (think "Willy Wonka," but very
few others), but I would think their success with
Ocean's 11 might inspire them to continue with
more two-version releases.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
This is indeed great news, but I wonder if the numbers will change after the P&S people who mistakenly bought the WIDESCREEN version, and meant to buy the P&S, so they have to return it.
This could effect the sales number.
Maybe not, and if it does maybe hardly chage the numbers.

BUT STILL...Very good news!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Great news, Ron. Thanks for sharing!
Maybe someday we'll get that widescreen version of Exit To Eden...or maybe even Follow That Bird! :)

Heinz W

Second Unit
Funny. I just bought this last night at K-Mart. There were only two WS versions in a sea of P&S. :frowning: Needless to say there's only one WS copy left. I go out of my way to buy WS copies of dual release films at Wal/K-Mart whenever possible.
Good news indeed.

Reni D

Stunt Coordinator
That's great news, even at my local Target I noticed that the space for Ocean's 11 ( Widescreen was empty ) but they had plenty of Pan & Scan available. The store clerk told me they had sold out of the widescreen version.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Quote: "Funny. I just bought this last night at K-Mart. There were only two WS versions in a sea of P&S."
---
Because the WS copies sold out, of course :)

Patrick G

Second Unit
That is, without looking at what it did at WalMart.
Since Wal-Mart is the largest video retailer in the world, why weren't its sales looked at. Hell, if you throw Wal-Mart in the mix, it might be 2 to 1 the other way. This is a Warner release and Warner is the only studio with access to Wal-Mart's video sales information, so they should have it.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
Since Wal-Mart is the largest video retailer in the world, why weren't its sales looked at. Hell, if you throw Wal-Mart in the mix, it might be 2 to 1 the other way. This is a Warner release and Warner is the only studio with access to Wal-Mart's video sales information, so they should have it.
Because Wal-Mart skews the data. They don't provide their customers with a choice. They routinely stock only the pan and scan version or they stock very few of the widescreen items. If you include Wal-Mart sales, you get a picture that says "Hey! Consumers prefer pan and scan!" which isn't the case at all. The reality is that most consumers just don't care, so they buy what ever is available.
To do a valid comparison, you must eliminate the sets of data in which the consumers were not given a choice.
FWIW, I watch the Amazon.com top 100 selling DVD list and it's interesting to see the relative location of Widescreen vs. Pan'n'Scan releases. Almost always, when the consumer has a CHOICE between the two, the Widescreen is higher on the list. Even Harry Potter, which can be considered a "kids movie" every bit as much as Willy Wonka, always has the Widescreen version higher on the list than the cut and chopped version.
On the list right now...
Harry Potter; Widescreen - 1, P&S - 4
Lord of the Rings: Widescreen - 3, P&S - 18
Oceans 11; Widescreen - 7, P&S - 30
Spy Game; Widescreen - 45, P&S - not in top 100
VERY telling (and encouraging!)
-Steve

Patrick G

Second Unit
But most Supercenters do give a choice. I've been into 3 of them in the last week, and they all had both versions displayed, and usually do with most big titles. Granted, I usually see more Pan-and-Scan than Widescreen, but both are there.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think most Wal-Mart's offer both choices for big releases. Even my teeny, tiny local Wal-Mart (as WM's go) had a big standing display with both versions available.

I'm not totally sure I buy into the "Wal-Mart only stocks/sells P&S versions" argument, since every dual release has been stocked in both versions in any Wal-Mart I've been in. But since they are so large, it can't hurt to keep the pressure on them to ensure they continue providing this choice.

I think the warehouse clubs have been the biggest offenders, especially with all the dual releases that were out around last Christmas. But Costco has been coming around. Only WS for the past several dual releases ("A.I.," "Spy Game," "Ocean's Eleven").

todd s

Senior HTF Member
You have to be vigilant. As I said in a previous post. My local BJ's Wholesale Club had both versions of Oceans 11. But, the price for the WS was $18.99 and the P&S was $16.99. I called the head buyer for BJ's. He was not happy. He is a WS fan and said the price should be the same for both. He did say the computer will show the correct price. But, he knew people would just see the prices posted. Well, the next day the price was adjusted.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
That's good news! While I didn't care enough about the movie to purchase it, I did rent the widescreen version. Every little bit helps! :)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I'm not sure what the revelation here is. When separate pan-and-scan and widescreen releases come out at the same time, the widescreen version always outsells the other--according to Videoscan. The key is figuring out how many sales are not being counted by Videoscan--Wal-Mart, Kmart and other mainstream retailers that have been hostile toward stocking widescreen. This is where the studios claim they have figures (their own) that show that people really want P&S, and it's a pretty big caveat to Videoscan's figures.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The numbers are phenomenal, with the widescreen version outselling P/S two-to-one.
Next week's DVD sales chart shows the widescreen version of Ocean's 11 at No. 1 and the full-screen DVD at No. 2. Obviously, there still could be a 2:1 difference in sales between the two--as sometimes happens with new movies in the weekly box-office charts--but given this situation, that seems unlikely--at least, according to the sources that VideoScan uses.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Something I thought was kind of funny-Steve's TV (Local HT/DVD store) had warning stickers on the P&S versions of the movie, saying that "this version contains the cropped version of the film", and showed a frame with the sides cut off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gk7193
Recent bookmarks