OCD on Doctor Phill...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, May 12, 2005.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Dec 28, 2001
    Just curious if anyone else has this and if they found themselves watching Doctor Phill today?

Needless to say I didn't feel any better when I heard it was going to be with me forever unless a cure is found, heh.

I started taking medication almost two years ago, and I've started to get better. I can go to the bathroom regularly like I used too (It used to be so bad that I would take a quick showever after a, well, #2, and sometimes #1). I don't clean things as often, all though I still give the room a thourough clean once a month or two just to get that fresh feeling. I also knocked my showed down from 3 semi long ones a day to 1 short one in the morning.

But the main area of problem I still have is driving. I get so nervous when driving by myself that I turn around two, sometimes 4 times a trip and turn a 15 minute trip into a 30 minute on one way. I'm so worried that I missed something, or lost concentration and hit someone that I didn't see, that I just HAVE to go back and check. Sometimes I'll drive back, others I'll park the car and walk back. OR I'd have thoughts about why I turn this way and not that that distract me.

OTher than this one little problem, I'm more or less perfectly normal now, and this driving problem has been going on for at least 3 years even with the medication. I'm much better when I have someone in the front seat with me, so I have an extra set of eyes helping me out, but when it's me by myself, I'm doubtfull.

Just curious if I'm the only one here like that....maby it's time I looked into a profffesional driver service? Heh.
  2. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

Sep 24, 1999
    I used to suffer from mild OCD back in grade school. I had to touch the wall in certain places when I walked by and other minor stuff like that. I don't recall having any relapses after about 5th grade or so. The only thing close to OCD that I still do is to press on the fridge door after I close it to make sure it's shut. If I forget I'll go back and double check it. Sounds like OCD but I think it's actually AWB (Afraid of Warm Beer).

I'm not belittling the condition because I know some people who are very much affected by OCD but I sure don't trust Dr. Phil's grim assessment of the condition either.
  3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Jan 27, 2003
    My OCD affects relationships. If I'd get into an argument (or even a slight disagreement) with a close friend, I'd have this fear that I said something bad and they were pissed off at me, so I'd have to seek them out to see if they were ok and not mad at me.

I had this pretty bad with an ex. She was upset with me (but not too upset). I kept calling her (which made her even MORE angry) to see if she was ok, but, of course, that would make my OCD worse because I was actually making her more angry.

I've learned that it's all in my head and as hard as it is to stop the "checking", it's best not to give into the fear. The fear is always worse than any reality I've ever encountered.
  4. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Nov 21, 2003

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jun 30, 1999

"Swingers" - now there's some painful OCD on display via the message machine.
  6. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

May 13, 2003
    If you can afford it, cognitive-behavioral therapy seems to me the best method of treating OCD. It might be hard to find a good therapist practicing it but it's probably worth the hassle. You can read about it at:

Also, http://www.ocfoundation.org/ seems like a good website.

I don't think medication alone is the answer. With cognitive-behavioral therapy you can learn to live with OCD without medication although for more serious cases some medication is probably needed.

I wouldn't just trust any doctor or therapist with this problem, seek them out and ask if they've treated this type of disorder before and what the results have been.

Good luck.
  7. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

May 17, 2003
    Just keep trying, try to find solutions, and good luck. Easier said than done, I know.

John gives good advice.

I think I have had a mild case of this at times in different forms. I remember having a case of pictures, etc., having to be perfectly aligned. Weird for a child as most could care less about how perfect something is.

Also re-writing something several times until the writing was perfect. Even though I have very good writing (or so I have been told) to begin with. I believe this began because when I was starting to learn handwriting. I did not learn it right away and was continually downgraded by a teacher for it. It became so bad that my mother had to have my teacher switched mid-year. The next teacher I had was patient with me and I pretty much picked it up right after that. Became quite good at it.

I pretty much caught these OCD problems right away with the help of others and was able to stop them as they were in early stages.

I also remember one time (years later in High School) when our Public Speaking teacher acted out in a violent manner after a student said the word yeah (not being cocky in any way believe it or not, but just saying the word). She started screaming and throwing papers. "It's not a word you f-ing morons. It's not a word." The woman was having a breakdown. Yeah, the word or lack of, is extrememly common. But, everytime I use it (even on accident), that moment still comes back to me. I don't know if I could ever forgot it. I feel wrong for using the word at times as I will automatically say it on accident in place of yes.

I have had a couple other minor things which I have since forgotten. I prefer to keep it that way.

Many people don't believe this disorder exists. They think it's just someone over-reacting, bored, crazy, etc. I have heard some very stupid comments when it comes to it.

You have to be careful. Because in the process of stopping one thing, it can switch to another.

Basically, if it's affecting your life, you really should seek out help. If it's severe, it's probably not going to be something you can overcome yourself. Not your fault. It's just not easy to overcome once in later stages. By this point it has become a habitual habit. But, overcoming it is possible. I really believe so. So, don't stop trying.