Occasional Crackle Sounds with New DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt Heebner, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,
    just picked up a cheap Toshiba SD 4900 for the sole purpose of DVD-Audio. I have it connected with some quality Monster audio cables to my Sony 4ES. I bought Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and Natalie Merchant's Tigerlily. afte listening to both I am noticing occasional snap, or crackle sounds from various channels. I am wondering if it is due to the cheap player, or maybe the Monster cables are bad...I've had them laying around for a while. They are like Monsters middle of the line balenced audio cables.
    I do have a SACD player hooked up the the other set of multichannel inputs (the 4ES has two sets) and I hear absolutely nothing on any discs.

DVD-A is pretty awesome but I am wondering why this is happening.
    Anyone with any ideas, or the same problem?
    Thanks
    Matt

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

A zero cost experiment...

Swap the cables around and see if the problem follows the cables. If it does, the cables are the problem.

If not, the problem lies elsewhere in your system [​IMG]

I have both of these discs, and on the various and sundry players I have used/tested they haven't exhibited what you've mentioned.

Good luck, and glad you're enjoying DVD-A, even with the snap, crackle and pop [​IMG]

Happy New Year!

3. MarkStash

MarkStash Stunt Coordinator

Matt and John:

Sorry to jump into your thread with a different question but you two ought to have the answer/s I need. If I may...

I am building my HT (very much a newbie). Bought a Denon 3803 receiver, Infinity speakers all around, etc.

I picked-up a low-end progressive scan receiver for $160. Now I've learned of DVD-A.....figures. This player does NOT play DVD-A. I see in your post, Matt, that you bought a Toshiba SD 4900 for under $100. So, the question/s:

1) I have my system setup as 7.1. I see the specs for the Toshiba say 5.1. Do I make sure I get a DVD player that says 7.1?

2) Do I return the player I have and get the Toshiba?(saving money in the process and gaining the ability to play DVD-As). Or, am I losing 7.1 and need to look at completely different units?

Thanks...

Mark

4. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I had some "crackle sounds" from a player last year and it turned out to be the player, it was only in the center channel and only on certain DVD-A's.

5. Matt Heebner

MarkStash....I have a Panasonic RP56 that handles the duties of actual progressive scan movie watching. I can't speak to the abilities in that area with the Toshiba. I have read in my research that the picture quality isn't the best. I guess for $70 I don't expect much. You would have to decide if having DVD-A is worth returning your current player. There are threads around talking about the Pioneer 563A universal player (SACD/DVD-A) for under $170.

SACD and DVD-A so far is only a 5.1 maximum channel format. You have to hook up 6 analog cables from the player to a set of 5.1 inputs on your receiver.

I am going to try different cables this wekend. I personally don't think it's them BUT...it cant hurt to try.

Matt

6. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

From a review of the 4ES: >>Sony has included a front panel 2-channel Direct switch, in addition to the Multi-channel Direct button that "toggles between 5.1 and 7.1 channel inputs", as noted, allowing use with SACD and DVD-A players. In both cases, no A/D or D/A conversion is employed.

7. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

MarkStash asks:

They aren't mutually exclusive. You'd only get 6.1/7.1 if you're equipped for it in your receiver anyway via a digital input. For what it's worth, you can play back DVD-A titles via Dolby Digital and in some cases DTS tracks that are included on your current player. It won't be the same level of fidelity that the DVD-A tracks are capable of, but it is a step in that direction.

The call is yours.

Happy New Year!

8. Matt Heebner

I am using the multi-channel direct mode for both the SACD and DVD-A. When you select this on the OSD, it automatically 'locks' into the direct mode so that you can not choose any type of processing, DSP, etc.

I have a feeling it might be the player itself, but I won't know for sure till I swap cables out. Like I said before I don't expect much for $70. I have like 17 more days to return this unit and try something else if the player is at fault.

Matt

9. Matt Heebner

Alright...I replaced my low end audio cables for brand new Monster Interlink 300's and I've done some listening.
    It seems that the sounds are now very infrequent...but still there. I only have Fleetwood Macs Rumours and Natalie Merchants Tigerlily to listen to.
    I've listened to both discs about three times each and like I said before the pops are only happening a couple times an entire disc, instead of a couple times a song. Still not very happy about it though. I think the palyer just plain sucks, but I am not really wanting to spend a lot of money just for DVD-Audio.
    I still might try some new players yet though. Anyone with some suggestions on DVD-Audio players for under lets say $300 ??

Matt

10. MarkStash

MarkStash Stunt Coordinator

Matt:

You mentioned the Pioneer 563A earlier in this thread. I picked one up last week for $161 at Best Buy. It's a progressive scan DVD with both SACD and DVD-A....working like a champ. I don't know if you want DVD video, but once I got it hooked-up correctly the sound is awesome. I have a Denon 3803, Infinity IL-40s as fronts, other Infinities all around (7.1).....I bought it after you suggested that it might be a possibility and it worked out well. Maybe it will for you too......good luck.

Mark

11. Matt Heebner

I've considered the Pioneer but......
    I have a good player with the Panny RP-56. Its like the 8th or 9th ranked player on the Secrets DVD Player Shootout for picture quality. I have a Sony 222ES SACD dedicated player. I would consider replacing my DVD player for one with DVD-A, but it would have to be equal or better in PQ. I've looked at the Denon 1600, but I dont really want to spend $400 plus.
    If there was a DVD player under $300 that was excellent in both PQ and is good for DVD-Audio...I would be interested in that for sure!

Matt

12. Matt Heebner

Edit:
    The RP-56 is actually ranked like 13th, but in total score it is in 4th place with a 87.

Matt

13. Tom McA

Tom McA Stunt Coordinator

Matt -

I've posted my DVD-Audio snap-crackle-pop problem in other threads, but mebbe it's worth mentioning here too.

Are you hearing the snaps randomly, or in the same parts of the program? Is it during or between tracks?

I was hearing snapping coming from random channels between DVD-Audio tracks on my Pioneer 563A player/ Sony 4ES receiver, and it turned out the player had a faulty circuit board.

If you've eliminated all other possibilities, perhaps it's time to take your Toshiba player to a warranty service center for a checkup. Just be sure to explain to the shop that it's a DVD-***AUDIO*** problem, and make sure they understand the distinction. My player sat in the shop a week longer than it had to, after they said they couldn't find a problem with my player, and demoed it to me with a "C.S.I." disc. Sigh.

Now that they finally fixed it, I'm very happy with my Pioneer.

14. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a JVC XV-SA600 from Crutchfield for $99 based in part on a review in The Absolute Sound. So far, great sound on DVD-A, no snap/crackle/pop. I don't use it for CD or DVD, as I have separate players.

John