Obsession control Disorder...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Sep 7, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Decided to take the bike out before the sun set. Had the headphones on, on the way there, everything was fine. Sat on my usual bench when I got to the Lavallete water tower, watched the sun go down, then decided to go back. But, before I did, I took the phones off to go enjoy the free 'concert' at the Gazebo, trying to look inconspicous batting away to the beat while sitting on my bike [​IMG]. Not to mention looking away from the band while someone decided to block my view [​IMG]. Headphones still off, I crossed the street, trying to make a bike ridden U-Turn across the road.
    I was approached by an older gentleman, telling me I really shouldn't be riding the bike there, wich is understandable despite the inchworm speed I was going.
    Unfortunatly, I couldn't stop, because the damn seat was raised too high. If I had stopped to get off there, I would have fallen over and to the ground as I put my foot down toward the pavement. So, I had to apologize, find the nearest curb, or sidewalk, and get off to lower the seat.
    As I did so, I realized I had gotten onto the sidewalk, and managed to get down using a higher patch of grass to my left. Now, the logical part of my mind knows and remembers how I got onto the sidewalk, but the OCD part isn't quite so sure. The logical part of my mind also knows, that, had I so much as brushed against someone, even at a snails pace, I would have noticed. It was a short block, no more than 15 steps from one end to the other, so I would have heard something, if something did happen.
    However, I decided to go down the road half a mile, turn back to check, ride down the road half a mile, turn back to check again. I didn't really mind, since I got more excerise on the bike than I would have if I just went home, but it is a bit of an annoyance..
    Maby it's time to see if they've made any new and improved treatments for this. We had something for it last time, but it wore off in about 2 weeks....
    Anyone else with OCD here, or am I the only one? [​IMG]

2. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Neil,
    What exactly were you worried about? Was it that you thought you hit someone or was it just because you weren't sure how you got to the sidewalk?
    Either way, it sounds as if you are getting professional help (you were talking about treatments). Disorders like this can be very disruptive if not destructive to your daily life. Realizing what your fears are, as you well know, is probably the first step. Discussing them and then confronting them will aide in the reassurance you need.
    And if all else fails, put some Marley on the headphones. It's impossible to worry with Bob.[​IMG]
    Good Luck,
    Bill

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I know people with OCD, but it's called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
    Psychotherapy and SRI's...it works if you work it.
    http://www.ocfoundation.org/
    - Steve

4. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder VERY badly, but with therapy and medications I have gotten a bit better. I hate it with a passion, and it drives me insane constantly.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I just have little bits of it here and there, otherwise I'm a total slob. Just don't make me late. Nothing gets to me like being late, or too early. 5 minutes early is right on time, less or more stresses the shit out of me.

6. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>Was it that you thought you hit someone or was it just because you weren't sure how you got to the sidewalk?
    >>
    A Little of both, actually.
    Actually had a severe case of it today. Took a shower, took some dirty laundry down stairs, got distracted by the neighbors coming in, and can't remember if I washed my hands after I got upstairs. Normal laundry like clothes wouldn't have bothered me as much, but underwear is a different story [​IMG].
    Two hours later, I'm still racking my brain, trying to remember if I wahsed my hands as I came up those stairs, or went right to my room... Sometimes, all it takes is a little distraction with me, and I'll loose my train of thought...

7. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Neil you should carry that water-less antibacterial soap around with you. If you ever wonder if you washed your hands, just break it out and put some on.

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yeah, I try very hard to stay off the sidewalks, especially because cars that intend on turning to driveways/parking lots do not expect to see you moving that way.

I'd second Ryan's waterless bacterial soap, they are really neat. I've never heard of such a thing until spending time in Alaska where the port-o-johns at the campsites (not in the backcountry of course) had that stuff you rub on and it evaporates or just disappears.. Never knew such stuff existed but it seems like a great idea if they are effective.

Jay