What's new

Observed differences in depth settings on 3D viewing (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Thought I would copy a couple of posts here @ HTF that I wrote about a firmware 3D perception feature on a Panasonic TV in a different forum.

[COLOR= rgb(178, 34, 34)][SIZE= 36px]"[/COLOR][/SIZE]This is about my Observations of 3D Depth perception utilized in the Panasonic TC-P65VT25, with a fixed 3D (Medium) Depth, and the Panasonic TC-46PGT24 (46” Costco purchase) that has different firmware that includes three accessible choices for Minimum, Medium, or Maximum Depth perception.

To be very clear, this is not a post about picture quality, as the 65” VT25 is superior in electronic specifications compared to the PGT24 model. What I’m observing, when in 3D Mode, is a much more satisfying 'Real World' perception of Full HD 3D Blu-ray reproduction and also Direct TV 3D programming, when having the ability to expand a depth choice.

The 2 D → 3D depth feature in the PGT24, was clearly added as a consumer feature along with "2D→3D Conversion" because of competition where other companies are offering the feature on their first generation 3D HDTV’s.

Originally added only to the 2D→3D Conversion feature:
By experimenting via observation with this feature, by isolating the changing of the 3D format Depth choice, I’ve found exciting results! First, I have to say that this feature is clearly intended as an addition to the “2D→ 3D Conversion” feature in the PGT24, because conversion has to be chosen to access and ISOLATE the degree of depth feature before you can return to the “Auto 3D” format, (Where MAXIMUM 3D DEPTH SHINES!). AGAIN: Depth has to be set while in the 2D→3D Conversion mode. It is grayed out and inaccessible when “Auto 3D” is chosen, but the changed MAXIMUM setting is temporarily maintained. Have found no way to keep this setting as a permanent default.

The “Maximum Depth” selection will only last as long as the current input is used if not switched or if the TV is turned off. By my observation, “Medium Depth” seems to be the default setting for both the VT25 and PGT24 series and the MEDIUM default setting will return as soon as the TV input source is changed or the PGT24 set is turned off.

MAXIMUM DEPTH 3D Observation:

Comparing both the 65” and 46” Panasonics, with different Depth is an excitement to behold! Full HD 3D movies, like Coralline, or Monsters vs. Aliens take on greater real world substance and visual satisfaction with the “Maximum Depth” setting. Even the Panasonic Blu-ray 3D Demonstration Disc, with real world photography, has a more natural perception solid mass forms to the setting. Other opinions may vary.

It would seem just to be a matter of time whether Panasonic could or will provide a firmware update for the VT25 series with this Depth Maximization Access, make it as a possible default in the GT24, or update firmware to restrict access.
IMHO, 2D→3D format conversion is just a fad, but the ability for 2D→3D Depth perception access should be a PRIME consumer choice for ALL 3D format settings for at least Plasma 3D TV’s with high refresh rates, in the future.

Paul

Added
IMO, The "Maximum Depth Perception" choice adds the following to 3D:
"Close to Distant Clarity", "Excitement to the senses", "Greater Real World Reality Perception"

Paul[COLOR= rgb(178, 34, 34)][SIZE= 36px]"[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 36px]"[/SIZE]barmalei wrote: That thing with the depth change is some kind of gimmick shifting the position of the left/right eye images.
If the movie creators wanted that depth in the movie, they could've done it in the source material.
IMO the TV should show the left and right eye image as it comes from the player without any position change thus no depth alteration. That's how the particular movie creators wanted it to be.
Shifting the images around to exaggerate the effect beyond what the creators intended is on par with watching the TV in Vivid/torch mode instead of using a nice calibration ...[SIZE= 36px]"[/SIZE]

[COLOR= rgb(178, 34, 34)][SIZE= 36px]"[/COLOR][/SIZE]After actually viewing the depth perception experience, I would have to disagree with lumping this experience in with the generality of a mindset about deviating from the creators intention. My optometrist has stated that depth has been found to actually be variable and personal in an individuals perception, subject to many factors. Individuals with the same eye measurement position can actually have a different depth perception experience. A key to why some people's sight ability can allow them to be more coordinated in catching objects in sports etc.
IMO, a Depth change analogy can be described as adding a subwoofer to a sound system for better reproduction of low frequency vibrations brought about from the same existing creative intention.

As I stated in my first observation post:
IMO, The "Maximum Depth Perception" choice adds the following to 3D:
"Close to Distant Clarity", "Excitement to the senses", "Greater Real World Reality Perception"

Also, this depth perception feature seems to add clarity and substance to objects and people. A camera that changes the distance of each eye can induce headaches and nausea and blurriness to focus because of an unnatural distance set, which I have experienced myself in badly made 3D media. This was not the case with the depth feature I experienced on the GT24.

Regards,

Paul[COLOR= rgb(178, 34, 34)][SIZE= 36px]"[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I understand that Panasonic will be doing a FW update for some color settings that are in an upcoming model, but not sure if they will be adding 2D to 3D conversion to the VT25 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks