What's new

Observation/Musing about Law & Order: Criminal Intent The Third Year DVD... (1 Viewer)

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator
I have noticed that the online stores I have seen, including Best Buy, Walmart, and Amazon, have every other season of CI available on DVD. But Season 3 seems to be growing scarce. Third-party sellers on Amazon are now asking $200+ for a copy!

This was the only season released on flipper discs. I wonder if it is just going to fade away, go digital only, or if Universal will finally reissue this lone season in single-sided discs?

I really hope for the last option, but I won't hold my breath.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Sadly this isn't the only time I've seen this happen with certain TV series releases. I've also noticed that the final seasons of both Highlander: The Series and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys as well as Season 3 of Wagon Train are all extremely scarce and ask for really high prices in the third party market currently.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sadly this isn't the only time I've seen this happen with certain TV series releases. I've also noticed that the final seasons of both Highlander: The Series and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys as well as Season 3 of Wagon Train are all extremely scarce and ask for really high prices in the third party market currently.

Hercules has a reason.

The original Anchor Bay Hercules releases went OOP and Universal started rereleasing them. However, Uni never rereleased the final season, which led to scarcity and inflated prices.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
The fact is, the only L&O to get any love in terms of extras and general treatment is the "pervert of the week" SVU. I've liked all of the other variations (CI, By Jury, UK, LA), but SVU is the weak link in the L&O chain, and why it gets all the attention is beyond me. I kept only the crossovers from the mothership.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
The fact is, the only L&O to get any love in terms of extras and general treatment is the "pervert of the week" SVU. I've liked all of the other variations (CI, By Jury, UK, LA), but SVU is the weak link in the L&O chain, and why it gets all the attention is beyond me. I kept only the crossovers from the mothership.
And I feel the exact opposite. Law and Order SVU is my favorite of the franchise!

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator
I don't mind early SVU, but I quit more than a decade ago there, easily. Actually, I think I stopped after S5. If I were to rank the "marquis" L&O franchise shows, they'd be L&O: CI (Goren/Eames), Mothership, L&O: CI (Logan/Barek/Wheeler), L&O: SVU (early years only), L&O: CI (Nichols/Wheeler), and then the awful (to me only here!) L&O: CI season of Nichols/Stevens.

But I'm well aware that SVU seems to be the "darling", and I don't get why. But tomato, tomahto. Still hope CI S3 gets an eventual reissue. It's a nice dream.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
A couple of years ago I bought a bundle package with all 10 seasons. I recently got to watch them and found Season 3 disc 3 won't even play, neither side. I went looking to see if I could find another set and found the ridiculous prices. I have to wonder, why hasn't Universal reissued it on single sided discs?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Good question. They haven't even re-released the SVU flipper disc sets yet either as single-sided discs (ie. season 2 and 5).

At this point I suspect Universal is not likely to do anything about this, unless they're able to outsource it to somebody else (such as Mill Creek or Shout Factory).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks