What's new

Obselete Game System Showdown (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I've discovered you can buy Nintendo 64's and Sony Playstations really cheap now (used obviously).

I'm not huge into gaming but I thought I might pick one up for kicks. I remember a while ago I was very impressed by the hardware they packed into the N64 so I was leaning toward that (and to play the goofy Mario games).

Anyway, should I buy the PS1 instead? I think there are a lot more games but are they better? Do titles cross platform? Do they still make games for either? I definitely wouldn't buy any games new, rather look for used ones cheap. Any insight? Thanks.

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
It seems like the PS1 had many games, but not as many AAA games. That is to say, there are a ton of PS1 games that rock. With new PS1's at $49.99 it's a great deal. And the games are compatible with the PS2, so I'd more recommend going with the N64 (because the PS1/2 stuff will be around much longer).
I have to admit that I'm a Nintendo fan, but I just find that I have more fun playing those games (Zelda, and Majora's Mask, Mario, etc....) than many of the great PS1 games (FF VII, GT2, and Tekken).
The other thing that I'd recommend is a Dreamcast, it's a great system to play with some wonderful games (and it's cheap -- probably about $50 for a used system). Games are good like Soul Caliber, Phantasy Star Online, and Grandia II and of couse Jet Set Radio [think you get lynched around here if you hate this game :D :D :D }.
Hope that helps,
Jim

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Yes, that helps a lot. the local EBX store has used N64's for $25, PS1's for $30. They have NEW Dreamcast's for $50.

The N64 is obviously 64-bit. PS1 I think is 32-bit. At their height, I think the N64 was the technically superior machine, but the PS1 took off because of the quantity of software...

Are there any good games that were on both platforms? I'm actually thinking of just picking up one of each.

Ike

Screenwriter
I've had all three. Get the Dreamcast. Then get these games:

-Sonic Adventure
-Jet Set Radio
-Unreal Tournament
-NFL 2k1/2/3
-Tony Hawk 3
-Shenmue

The N64 has some good games (Conker, Goldeneye, Mario, and Zelda are standouts), and the Playstation also has some very good games (Metal Gear Solid, Ape Escape, The Final Fantasy series), but the Dreamcast is fantastic. It has the best graphics easily out of the three, and it has some really fun games.

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
The dreamcast was such an underloved console. I'd recommend both version of Sega's Tennis game, Skies of Arcadia (not as flashy with CG cutscreens as the Final Fantasy games, but an amazing RPG with a great story), Soul Caliber, and Marvel vs Capcom 2 (if you dig 2d fighters) along with other previously recommended games. Sega's can be had incredibly cheap and you can get quite a few games new for about $10 and lots of used games (from all the people who ditched their Dreamcast at used stores). I have all the new consoles and most of the old ones, but I don't think any so far has been as enjoyable as my Dreamcast for sure quality.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Dreamcast. It's still the best console of this generation, damn it! One disadvantage of the N64 is that the used games cost a bit more because of the cartridges. Hell, buy one of each system...why not? It'll cost you less than one current system.
-Dan
can feel the love for the Dreamcast in here

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Another vote for the Dreamcast.

But N64s for $25? I might pick one up for that. What is EBX? Electronics Boutique?

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Go with the DC. Best of the three and if you can display VGA output on your HT setup, it looks as good as a PS2 IMHO. Or, you can always set it up under your desk at work. :)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Yeah, EBX is owned by Electronic Botique. Not sure of the difference.

I never even considered the Dreamcast. I remember last Xmas, Best Buy was selling them for $45. I thought it was completely dead with very little software. At least with N64, I know there are tons of games (not that I'd be playing too many)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was completely dead with very little software.
It's definitely dead (though there's still a dribble of software released in Japan), but there's a wealth of software. About 250 releases in the USA, with a bunch more in Europe & Japan.

There's a LOT of good unique titles to the DC, same as the N64. They tend to be cheaper than the '64 though - those N64 carts have a nasty habit of staying high in price, even second hand.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I'm going against the opinion around here. I was never overly impressed with the Dreamcast. Sonic Adventure, PSO, and Skies of Arcadia were all fun and it had some great sports games (but so do all the systems). But other than that, I didn't find much that interested me. I also have Gauntlet which was cool, but you can get that on other systems too. Sonic Adventure 2 wasn't as much fun as the first one. Ummm...not sure what else I have. Anyway, most of the games held no interest for me.

It's hard to go wrong with the N64. You can get great classics like Goldeneye, Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Bajo Kazooie, and Mario Kart 64. Some people also like Conker and Perfect Dark, but I thought Conker sucked and Perfect Dark just didn't feel the same as Goldeneye. Oh yeah, and Zelda: Majora's Mask I found to be very boring and I thought the whole premise of collecting masks was stupid.

As for the PSX, if you like RPGs this is the system to get. It had hordes of goods ones. I also really liked the vehicular combat games like Twisted Metal 1 & 2 (3 & 4 suck), Critical Depth (highly underrated game), Vigilante 8, and Rogue Trip. Then you also have lots of good racing games. Basically, the PSX had great games in virtually every genre out there.

Aaron

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Basically, any of the three machines is a good choice for a 'cheap' back-up system. There's plenty of good unique titles of all three - Zelda, Mario etc on the N64, Sonic, fighters, racers, sports on the DC, and TONS of everything on the PSX.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Aaron-you weren't the only one who wasn't all that impressed with the DC. True, Sonic adventure had its moments, and there were some truly unique games, but for the most part I was pretty disappointed with it.

But as for choosing between a PSX and N64-at those prices, get both! The N64 has about a dozen great games, and the PSX has a lot of great RPGs, as well as almost anything else you could ever want. I know that I still have a bunch of Ps1 games left to get to, and as soon as I finish GTA3 it's back to Dragon Warrior 7...

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Doesn't the N64 render graphics better? I would think that a 64-bit system would kick a 32-bit system's ass. Not to mention the cartridge vs CD factor.

Just a dozen good games on N64? Define "good."

Any RPG's I'd want, I'd just play on my Mac.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't the N64 render graphics better? I would think that a 64-bit system would kick a 32-bit system's ass. Not to mention the cartridge vs CD factor.
It's not as simple as that. The N64 came later, and yup, is 64 bit, but developers generally got more oomph out the PSX. A lot of N64 games were hampered by the crummy filtering that made everything 'hazy'.

At the end of the day, it's all down to the games. Go spend an hour on IGN or somewhere & dig through their "editor's Choice" reviews. They'll give you a pretty good idea of what's out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks