Obscure TV western shows.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by oldtvshowbuff, Mar 26, 2010.

1. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    I did not see this show mentioned . Texas John Slaughter from Disney . I believe there was between 15-20 episodes that ran on Wonderful World of Disney from the late 50s into the early 60s .

A little before my time but i did catch it back in the 90s when the Disney channel ran that show . Would love to see that and the other Disney Presents series make it to dvd .

2. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

"Peacemakers", which originally ran on USA Network in 2003 for eight episodes plus the 90 minute pilot (and had a brief syndication run on CMT - you can find it now on Hulu), would be another short-lived Timeless should look into licensing from Universal. I would love to finally have this Tom Berenger series on DVD.

3. bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2 Supporting Actor

Tom Hunter
    I am hoping that with Warners finally looking towards a MAVERICK release, that strong sales on that series would get all seasons of MAVERICK released and then some other lesser known westerns that are under Warners control (YOUNG MAVERICK and BRET MAVERICK).

On various boards, I notice that there seems to be a pretty strong interest in western series but no or few major companies seem willing to go that route. Maybe Shout! would consider some of the smaller run westerns if shows like MAVERICK sell well.

4. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

I wouldn't mind getting that one unaired episode of Young Maverick to complete the trilogy.

5. bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2 Supporting Actor

Tom Hunter
    Neil - I had thought there were 2 unaired episodes of Young Maverick, not one.

Regardless, yes, it would be nice to see them released in a set including whatever unaired episodes exist.

6. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

Actually wrong on both shows. Trackdown is owned by CBS/Paramount and Yancy Derringer wound up with Liberation.

7. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Quote:
    Does Liberation even have a pulse at this point? After that last Daniel Boone release they seemed to really fade. In fact I remember being concerned as to whether they'd even finish that series.

Gary "doubt CBS/P would ever put out a release of Trackdown" O.

8. Brett*H

Brett*H Stunt Coordinator

I'd really like to to see a release of Aaron Spelling's "Johnny Ringo" which ran for one season in 1959. It would be a great project for Timeless Media to sink it's teeth into as there were apparently only 38 episodes produced.

A few posters mentioned "Dirty Sally" and I agree that it should be released! One of my fondest memories is of watching this short-lived series with my Dad back in the '70s.
    He used to call my sister "Dirty Sally" because her bedroom was even messier than my brother's and mine!

9. Guest

I finally got my hands on a copy of episodes of "Stagecoach West" and "Johnny Ringo". Both series are excellent, and it is a wonder they both only lasted one season. I was also able to find "The Californians" and "The Alaskans". Sadly I don't think these series are quite as good as the classics such as "The Virginian", "Maverick" or "Cheyenne".

10. ToddR2

ToddR2 Stunt Coordinator

Todd Rutherford
    I'd love to see The Westerner released. It's the finest western series I've ever seen. Being part of Peckinpah's body of work, I would hope that it will be licensed eventually. Then again, there isn't a decent quality R1 release of The Deadly Companions. I'd also like to see Tony Miner's take on westerns: Frontier. I'm sure it would be a well done show.

11. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    THE WESTERNER and STONEY BURKE are the rare/obscure westerns I most want to see released, though a complete series set (as opposed to the handful of episodes that have fallen into the public domain) of SHOTGUN SLADE would also be most welcome. Luckily, I was able to get THE WESTERNER (sans the ZANE GREY THEATER pilot) recorded when Encore Westerns had it in circulation. Strange that it never got a disc release here or in the U.K., considering its Peckinpah pedigree.

12. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    I like the sound of Gray Ghost and The Californians (just had a look at their IMDb pages).

Would like to see The Lazarus Man (starring Robert Urich and set after the American Civil War) released on DVD.

13. mustang

mustang Stunt Coordinator

Season 3 Of The Lone Ranger Is Out On DVD.The 52 Episodes Are On 8 Discs And Costs Around 30 Bucks.

14. cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly Screenwriter

Willard
    do you have a link?

15. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Quote:
    Quote:
    My question too. A link would be nice.

Gary "never heard about S3 coming out anywhere - at least not 'officially'" O.

16. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    Yes, I'm dying to get seasons 3, 4 and the other half of season 5 that wasn't released. I know John Hart's performance is weak compared to Clayton Moore's, but it still will be fun to see, since those season 3 shows are rarely seen in syndication these days (I do remember seeing them on a local station that ran the show sometime around 1980, but I don't remember a whole lot; they were only showing them once a week, so I doubt they ran all of them anyway).

17. silverking

silverking Guest

ditto about the link, are you sure you are not confusing S3 with the half set of S5 ?
    S5 was actually released in the UK as a full set but without the extras.

Jeff I really don't think John Hart was particularly 'weak' as The Lone Ranger bearing in mind
    that the acting range for the role was not too demanding. Clearly however most people prefer Moore.

A couple more short lived 60's westerns to consider

'The Outcasts' , 'Hondo' 'Custer'.

18. Steven_J_H

Steven_J_H Stunt Coordinator

Steven
    Nichols starring James Garner. I loved this show as a kid (even though it only lasted 1 season). I remember reading somewhere that this was James Garner favorite thing he had done for TV.

19. mustang

mustang Stunt Coordinator

Here Is The Link
    www.jbhifionline.com.au/lone-ranger-season-3/389310
    On The Back Of The Box It Says Distributed By Sony Home Enterntainment.

20. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

Ditto on "Black Saddle". I just finished watching the last few episodes last night. I enjoyed "Peter Breck" in "Big Valley" but have since developed a greater appreciation for his work since watching "Black Saddle". Nice little show with some interesting stories. Included is the professor from "Gilligan's Island" as a somewhat hard nosed deputy marshall. "Peter Breck" also appears much smaller/slimmer then his "Big Valley" days.

It's great that a company like Timeless is around to give us these snapshots in the past of the great western era on TV. I've really enjoyed such shows as the "Restless Gun", "Texan", "Tate", and many more that probably would never have seen the day without their efforts. based on this thread it would appear there are still plenty of others of interest. Lets hope Timeless can keep them coming.