What's new

Obscure TV on DVD? (1 Viewer)

David_O

Auditioning
Hi,
This is my first post after finally registering this week. I've been reading this forum religiously every day for a long time. I think I know the answer to this question but I want to ask it anyway.

It seems that TV shows on DVD are becoming more popular than ever with Married with Children, the Simpsons, All in the Family, 24...the list goes on and on.

I was a huge fan of The Odd Couple, and realize that a lot of people have forgotten about this show. It's not even in syndication anymore. What do you think the chances of more obsure shows like that ever making it to DVD. I sure there are a lot of series that have a much smaller group of fans than classics like All in the Family or Happy Days but it seems like a shame that they're gone for good. Since studios, producers or distributors don't make any money off them anyway, why wouldn't they put out barebones-editions? I'd bet there'd be profit in it.

Anyone want to give me odds?
Anyone else waiting for shows that no one else seems to want to see?

Best,
Dave

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The Odd Couple?

I think the chances are quite good.

That did very well in reruns for years during
the 80s.

I think it's hot enough property. My only
concern is that (I think) it belongs to
Paramount and they seem to be (other than Star
Trek and Lucy) releasing their TV product at a
slower pace than the other studios.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I'm quite disappointed that Quark isn't being released by Columbia in time to tie-in with Universal's release of Battlestar Galactica. After all, they both premiered about the same time, and both were "inspired" by the success of Star Wars. :D

I'll agree with Ron that we'll see Odd Couple on DVD eventually. But I am sure we'll see Mission Impossible, Taxi, and Get Smart! beforehand. :)

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'd buy Quark (there are only a few episodes) and definitely Taxi (though that one's not obscure). I'd also love the sketch comedy show Fridays.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I'm definitely there for the Odd Couple, and Get Smart as well.

What I'd really love, though, is Gomer Pyle, USMC.

Sha-zam!

Jon

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, looks like Paramount is first going with South Park Season 3 and The Jamie Kennedy Experiment (JKX) Season 1! 12/16 and 12/2, respectively.

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
A show I would like to see on DVD is Lonesome Dove the TV series. I think there might have actually been two series based on this movie but I am not sure. I think there was just Lonesome Dove the series and then the Outlaw Years. I have only seen a few episodes on reruns on either TNT or TNN but it seemed to be a decent western series that I would buy if not outrageously priced.

Not so long ago used to think that buying a TV series on DVD was a waste of money but I find I watch very little TV anymore as my tolerence for commercials has greatly diminished. I am tired of the constant bombardment of advertising.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'd buy Season sets of the Odd Couple Great Funny Show, especially if they are priced within Readon. The $29.99 price on Married with children is a good price point how many eps were in the 1st season ?

"There's Pits...pits...Pits...in my Juice...Juice...Juice..

- Oscar Madison

Mike DB

Agent
Here's obscure for you. I'd like to see the original British "Quatermass" series released on DVD in the US. Not likely. Too bad.

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator
Why is everybody talking about obscure TV series, when at least somebody, somewhere remembers them. What about TV/Cable movies. Tons of obscure, made for TV and Cable movies are out there that nobody ever talks about. You know they are obscure when IMDB barely has any info on it, like they are just rumors. Whoever made that tvshowsondvd.com should do a tvmoviesondvd.com site.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I think others want it, but Brisco County, Brisco County, Brisco County... .ooohhhhh...

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Whoever made that tvshowsondvd.com should do a tvmoviesondvd.com site.
Lloyd, I'd love to, but I don't have the time. I find TV movies rather difficult because I don't know the names of any just by glancing at them (like I do for TV shows). That means researching thousands of DVD titles to pick out the TV movies from the direct to video and other titles. Too time consuming for a guy with a fulltime job and another site to run. Sorry.

Jeff, DVDEmpire has Jamie Kennedy being released by Paramount...which is probably a mistake since IMDB only lists Warner production companies. South Park is being done by Paramount since Viacom now owns 100% of Comedy Central.

Gord

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I would love to see "The Kids From C.A.P.E.R." on DVD. This is an extremely rare childrens show that used to air every Saturday morning during the 1970's. The show was about 4 guys who ran a secret crime fighting agency. The group would also sing during each episode (like the "Monkees" ). I loved this show when I was a kid but sadly "The Kids From C.A.P.E.R." didn't last long (I think only 10 episodes aird). Good childhood memories. :)

I would also like to see the short-lived series "Freaky Links" show up on DVD. As well as the X-Files spin-off "The Lone Gunmen" .

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Nickelodeon classics such as "Salute Your Shorts", "Hey Dude", "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" and "You Can't Do That On Television" should get their due on DVD.

Are these obscure shows? Probably not, since lots of people (but mostly limited to one specific generation) tend to remember them. However, they are rarely broadcast anymore and very few people have VHS tapes of them, so in a way they are.

Give me these shows on DVD now!

John_bri

Grip
I would like In Living Color, Ren and Stimpy, The Kids in the Hall, The Secret Service, Terrahawks, and Red Green all in season sets. I want RG the most. TV on DVD is a drug for me! ;)

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I'd love to see Alice, a top-rated show in the late 70's and early 80's that seems to have dropped off the radar screen. As far as obscure shows, Equal Justice, I'll Fly Away, Homefront, Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn South, Brother's Keeper, and American High. And, of course, The Odd Couple, The Brady Bunch, Taxi, and Happy Days - all Paramount titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks