Obscure Remakes

Discussion in 'Movies' started by MichaelBA, Dec 17, 2005.

1. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

Looks like remake fever in Hollywood not abating any time soon (unfortunately, IMO). But these remakes are getting QUITE obscure.

The latest I've seen is Queen Latifah/Wayne Wang in a remake of the old Alec Guinness/J.B. Priestly film LAST HOLIDAY.

From Guinness and Priestly to Queen and Wang. Oy.

Any other obscure remakes out recently or upcoming?

2. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

They are remaking Back to School with Cedric the Entertainer. What a disgrace to Rodney Dangerfield.

Another white comedian movie made with black comedian. Could you imagine if they made a movie of say Good Time with Jim Carey as JJ?

3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

No......but I'm sure someone in Hollywood will. [​IMG]

4. Jason Roer

Jason Roer Supporting Actor

Shawn,

Shh! Don't encourage them. There's an executive at Universal right now saying to himself, "Hey maybe I can divert the whole Kong fiasco with a remake of Good Times! Hey wait a sec! Jim Carrey as JJ! That's it!"

Cheers,

Jason

5. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

"Fiasco"??? PLEASE explain!

6. MichaelBA

I think Jason's statement about the new Kong "fiasco" is self-explanatory... but then my overt skepticism about this film helped shut down the original Jackson Kong thread, so I'll just keep quiet.[​IMG]

7. Jason Roer

Jason Roer Supporting Actor

Sorry guys. Just making a little joke regarding all that has been said about Kong's imminent failure at the box office. Sometimes I think I'm funnier than I actually am - a small blunder in my personality of which I'm sure my wife will attest to.

Cheers,

Jason

8. MichaelBA

Maybe the new version of YOURS, MINE AND OURS qualifies as an obscure remake. I'm not sure how many non-movie buffs or younger viewers, especially, know about the original with Fonda and Ball... or even who Fonda and Ball were![​IMG]

9. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Generally they aren't as obscure though many are outside the knowledge of non-film buffs, but Turner Classics is featuring originals of remakes this month. So you get Shop Around the Corner, Death Takes a Holiday, etc. The month is jam packed with them.

10. MichaelBA

FUN WITH DICK AND JANE was originally a 1977 with George Segal and Jane Fonda. Just screaming to be remade...!

Oh, and CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN 2 is the sequel to the remake of an old film from 1950, starring Clifton Webb and Myrna Loy.