What's new

Obscure/Rare film you’d like that will never see the light of day? (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Now THAT is a rare and obscure movie. I don't think I've ever heard of it. And what a cast!

Yes, I keep hoping somebody will get hold of it and release it on blu-ray. I don't think it is totally unlikely because films like The Last Movie and The Other Side of the Wind have been released and those, outside of real film nerds, are quite obscure.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Now THAT is a rare and obscure movie. I don't think I've ever heard of it. And what a cast!
It's obscure because it was never released, either theatrically or on video. It pops up occasionally on TCM.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
0029502934507_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

I was thinking about this film the other day. It is on DVD but it is dubbed. I'd love to have it on Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
I want The Next Man, the 1976 political/romantic thriller with Sean Connery. It has few fans, but I’ve been one of them since I saw it on HBO as a kid in 1977.

This movie has had only one legitimate, uncut home video edition: an Allied Artists videocassette released in 1978, only months before the company went under. Since then there have been only sub-VHS quality DVDs, sourced from edited TV prints and issued under various titles by companies that deal in public domain product.

I once asked Warner Archive if Warners owned the film, since they own most of the Allied Artists library. The answer was no.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
What's happened to JOY IN THE MORNING (1965)? I saw it on first release but it's disappeared since then with no release on DVD or Blu-ray. Surely Warner Archive could release it. Bernard Herrmann's music score has been released on CD but where's the film?

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Recently watched YOU CAN'T WIN 'EM ALL, a 1970 Columbia release of a Gene Corman production. I'd love to see this released in Blu-ray. Action-packed big production starring Tony Curtis and Charles Bronson and written by veteran "bad guy" Leo Gordon who also plays one of the soldiers of fortune assisting the stars, Directed by Peter Collinson with some fabulous location work in Turkey.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I learned yesterday about a film I'd never heard of, Apology For Murder, which seems to be an unapologetic plagiarism of Double Indemnity. I'd like to see it because it stars Ann Savage and Hugh Beaumont.

Apology For Murder 2a.jpg

As Ann Savage is about to be given a new lease of life with the Blu-ray disc of Detour, perhaps someone will put Apology For Murder out on disc too.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
Catch Me If You Can (1989) - It makes no sense this isn't even on DVD. It's a goddamn Stephen Sommers film! I'm also annoyed the every Stephen King movie there is seems to bo Blu except Storm of the Century. I don't want to be stuck with a garbage double sided DVD forever.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I learned yesterday about a film I'd never heard of, Apology For Murder, which seems to be an unapologetic plagiarism of Double Indemnity. I'd like to see it because it stars Ann Savage and Hugh Beaumont.

View attachment 53801
As Ann Savage is about to be given a new lease of life with the Blu-ray disc of Detour, perhaps someone will put Apology For Murder out on disc too.

How cool would DETOUR have been with Ward Cleaver in the Tom Neal role? I can just hear Ann Savage now: "Mister, you were a little hard on the beaver last night." :D

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
1977 theatrical Star Wars on 4K UHD Blu-ray or 1080p Blu-ray. The only reason I posted this film which technically is not obscure but has not seen a release since it came out on dvd and only because fans where bugging Lucas. IMHO the longer it goes without seeing the light of day the more obscure it becomes.

911uAMIhbqL._SY550_.jpg

Last edited:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've been going through something of a Tennessee Williams binge lately and after watching "Suddenly Last Summer", "Night of the Iguana", "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" and "A Streetcar Named Desire" again, it suddenly dawned on me that there seems to have been no release on any format of Warner's 1950 "The Glass Menagerie". Why not? It's decades since I last saw it on TV and would very much like to see it again.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I've been going through something of a Tennessee Williams binge lately and after watching "Suddenly Last Summer", "Night of the Iguana", "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" and "A Streetcar Named Desire" again, it suddenly dawned on me that there seems to have been no release on any format of Warner's 1950 "The Glass Menagerie". Why not? It's decades since I last saw it on TV and would very much like to see it again.
I suspect there may be rights issues, as both 20th Century-Fox and WB are listed as US distributors on IMDb.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I wouldn't mind seeing it again, but as I recall it's a very dull and uninspired adaptation of a most moving play. Gertrude Lawrence and Jane Wyman are both miscast. The two made-for-TV adaptations (Shirley Booth/Katharine Hepburn) are both superior to the film, and so is the Joanne Woodward film which is probably the best of the four.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
E02011C0-C411-4FD0-A2F0-B779AD9E7C77.jpeg

I suspect there may be rights issues, as both 20th Century-Fox and WB are listed as US distributors on IMDb.
I went over to WAC's Facebook page and got the above response.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
View attachment 55112

I went over to WAC's Facebook page and got the above response.

Thank you very much Stephen. Frustrating but at least we now know. Presumably something to do with producer Jerry Wald (which might account for Fox's distribution at some stage) or Charles K Feldman. Maybe rights are difficult to untangle now.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
BRIGHT ROAD and THE DECKS RAN RED with Dorothy Dandridge. Also other films of hers that have never seen the light of day on dvd or bluray.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
There are plethora of films I'd like to see on Blu, that in some cases haven't even seen a R1 DVD release. Some of these include:

Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977) - probably never released to Region 1 DVD/Blu because of rights issues involving the music.

Light Sleeper (1992) - great Paul Schrader-directed drama; has only seen a crummy DVD release - with a pan & scan print.

The Comfort of Strangers (1991) - another great Paul Schrader directed drama; has also only seen a pan & scan DVD release.'

1977 theatrical Star Wars on 4K UHD Blu-ray or 1080p Blu-ray. The only reason I posted this film which technically is not obscure but has not seen a release since it came out on dvd and only because fans where bugging Lucas. IMHO the longer it goes without seeing the light of day the more obscure it becomes.

Huge SW fan here. I also have the 2006 DVD's that include the theatrical release of ANH, ESB, and ROTJ (1977, 1980, and 1983). Note these are the 1990's LaserDisc prints, and they're aren't true Anamorphic Widescreen - i.e., the print is cropped/letterboxed so that you can't see the entire picture, and the prints only take up a small portion in the middle of a widescreen set:

http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/23367

So, while these are 2006 DVD's are better than nothing, we still haven't gotten a true Anamorphic WS version of the original '77, '80, and '83 SW films. It would be great to see an HD print of all three of these original unedited films, in the correct format.

Last edited:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
There are plethora of films I'd like to see on Blu, that in some cases haven't even seen a R1 DVD release. Some of these include:

Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977) - probably never released to Region 1 DVD/Blu because of rights issues involving the music.

Light Sleeper (1992) - great Paul Schrader-directed drama; has only seen a crummy DVD release - with a pan & scan print.

The Comfort of Strangers (1991) - another great Paul Schrader directed drama; has also only seen a pan & scan DVD release.'

Huge SW fan here. I also have the 2006 DVD's that include the theatrical release of ANH, ESB, and ROTJ (1977, 1980, and 1983). Note these are the 1990's LaserDisc prints, and they're aren't true Anamorphic Widescreen - i.e., the print is cropped/letterboxed so that you can't see the entire picture, and the prints only take up a small portion in the middle of a widescreen set:

http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/23367

So, while these are 2006 DVD's are better than nothing, we still haven't gotten a true Anamorphic WS version of the original '77, '80, and '83 SW films. It would be great to see an HD print of all three of these original unedited films, in the correct format.
THE COMFORT OF STRANGERS is now available as a Region B Blu-ray (with a PAL disc version enclosed) so maybe there's hope for a Region A/NTSC equivalent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks