Obscure nobody claims patent on internet gaming

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Paul_Sjordal, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

http://www.scwatch.net/modules.php?n...viewtopic&t=16

You know, with all the talk about intellectual property rights going around, why is it that the computer industry has the most boneheads claiming patents on obvious stuff any monkey could think up and that everyone else is already doing? Cripes, you don't see obscure no-name car companies claiming patents on the wheel, do you?

2. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

This reminds me of the Craig Enokian lawsuit attempts against several game developers a few years back, he had some broad patent regarding the use of digitized footage in an interactive manner, and went after a few game developers:

Click Me

Nothing seems to have come of it, so I'm guessing Enokian backed down when Apogee went public? Hopefully this Goldberg guy will do the same, especially since it seems easy to prove that the concepts covered by his patent were already in existence and use years before he patented them.

3. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Paul, you did see a whole bunch of car companies attempt to sue Ford out of existence once. A number of companies owned a very generic patent on the internal combustion engine and tried to push Ford out of business, because he was underselling them and "overpaying" his workers.

However, Software patents, and patents in general have become increasingly ridiculous.