Obscure Nilsson UK only album

Discussion in 'Music' started by Grant B, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Not that there are hordes of Harry fans but someone might have heard or actually own "Flash Harry"
    Didn't even know it existed but it sounds very cool and $$$
    It's the last album he recorded before his death

Flash Harry was never released in the US. The album begins with Eric Idle singing "Harry" and ends with Harry performing Idle's "Bright Side of Life".
    There is also a song written with Ringo called, " How long can disco on"
    (Say it out loud-that's when it dawned on me)

Anyone?????

BTW for those unfamiliar with Harry Nilsson and want a great record pick up Son of Schmillson - called the weirdest record to turn gold by some. And I dare anyone to listen to "Joy" and not smile

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I've heard of Flash Harry, I guess at Little Jade Box, sort of a Nilsson chat room I used to visit. Would be nice to know how to order the thing.
    I was thinking of Harry when the subject of Popeye came in the Software area here.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

It does not seem to be on sale at any retailers that I ran across. If I do, I'll let you know.
    I boughy a cheap vhs copy of son of dracula on ebay. i have never seen it so I cant wait (I know its bad but...)

The Nilssonian Institute for Harry Learning
    http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...1/myharryp.htm

4. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

you might be able to find it[or order it] at www.vvmo.com

5. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    This is so strange. My wife and I are sitting here listening to the Harry album and what do I stumble upon, but a thread on Nilsson!

Grant, your link goes to an interesting site. Very complete as far as I can tell. The only omission I can think of is Nilsson's legendary, Scatalogue, a promotional only radio release from 1971 designed to promote The Point and his earlier catalog titles. Scatalogue intercuts portions of many of Harry's songs into one long medley. The cut, "Buy My Album," (which surfaced later on cd as a bonus track) is used extensively throughout the album as a linking element. I have fond memories of playing this on the air.

Nilsson is one of my all-time favorite artists and his catalog (despite the fact that many of these discs were released in the late 90's) is in need of and deserving a major restoration and remastering effort. Check out the 2002 BMG Heritage deluxe reissue of, The Point. Sonically, this is stellar stuff and the rest of his catalog should sound this good![​IMG] [​IMG] Speaking of which, wouldn't a nice DVD-A or two also be appropriate? I guess I can dream can't I... [​IMG]

Gary

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Gary
    I thought there might be a few fans hiding in the corners. I became a huge fan in the 70s when I could find his whole catalogue in the cut out bin. Harry didnt fit between Styx and Boston on the radio.
    Actually I listed the site because I thought the name was great.
    Besides the personal best set that came out after his death, his cds are mostly junk. I went to a store yesterday to replace my RCA 'flexidisc' of sandman and all I found was strange 'best of' packages. I guess I will turn blue before the Box Set comes out
    I was readiing the personal best discography and found the funniest promo release....
    Also Sprach Schmilsson Schmixon which is a mix of Nixon's resignation speach & the Abdication of count down.

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Kevin
    Thanks for the site!
    I am impressed with any store that has a "Mod" section

8. Derek Baker

Derek Baker Stunt Coordinator

I'll definitely check out the Point re-issue CD.

Would love the movie on DVD however...great childhood memories.