Obscure Japanese Game Source - A Reccomendation

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
A good 'smaller' importer that I'm a fan of is having a sale, and I thought I'd pass on the link.
Wolf Games
It's not a fancy Amazon style online retailer - it's one guy importing gear from Japan & selling it on - but don't let that stop you ordering. He's trustworthy, honest & very friendly. He's got a GREAT selection of Saturn, PSX & DC games, as well as a nice healthy set of games for things like the PCEngine, FM Towns, X68000 etc. And a nice second hand section for them all too.
He's got a nice big sale going on, I've just bought a few older games I've been after

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
WOW! Thanks Brian. I am putting in an order for Dracula X on the Saturn (which I've been looking for) and I'm even considering buying the Pc Engine Dracula X (Rondo of Blood, though 159 is quite the price but fair for this game which I've seen go for upwards of 300).

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
You're welcome, Romier. I haven't ordered /that/ much from him, but he's got a superb, top class rep amongst friends/contacts etc.

Oscar_R

Second Unit
Romier, I am 99.99% certain that the Castlevania Chronicles disk recently released for the PS1 is the same as the PC Engine version. No need to spend $159, when it can be had for $20. It comes with the originial version and an "enhanced" version.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Romier, I am 99.99% certain that the Castlevania Chronicles disk recently released for the PS1 is the same as the PC Engine version. No need to spend $159, when it can be had for $20. It comes with the originial version and an "enhanced" version.
Nope, incorrect. The Castlevania chronicles is a port of the X68000 game with an arranged mode. The PC Engine game is Dracula X Rondo of Blood. That was ported over to the SNES in the form of Dracula X. It lacked most of the featues that made the PC engine version good and was an all around shoddy port. Rondo of Blood is widely considered one of the best Castlevania games ever released (though it was never released in true form in the US).
PS When it comes to Castlevania I am a nut. I own just about every Castlevania game ever released in the US all with boxes and instructions (Yes including the NES games). Not too mention every soundtrack released and a bunch of posters and other collector goodies. Believe me Oscar I know my stuff when it comes to good old Drac!

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Romier is correct....although it has been said by the man that he wants to do another Castlevania Chrinicles game and have it be Rondo of Blood.

Oscar_R

Second Unit
oh, my bad. Was the X68000 ever released in the states? or was it a Japan only affair like the FM Towns?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Japan only affair, Oscar. Was home to a LOT of top notch arcade conversions (for that era), it has quite a cult following.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vikesfan1963