What's new

Directors Obscure films that you would love to see on DVD. (1 Viewer)

BTW Re: Sebastiane. A funny story was that the film was shown on the TV here in the UK when I was about 13. I hadn't heard of the film and the content of the film wasn't listed except to say that it was in Latin with English subtitles. Now I was taking a Latin GCSE at the time and was excited about having found a film in the long dead language, so I thought I'd tell the teacher about it. Well anyway, cue a few embarassing moments when I was told what it was about! Lol!

How about Samuel Fullers 1981 film White Dog ? I saw it in a double bill with Shock Corridor and was amazed by both of them. Now that Shock Corridor is available, any chance of White Dog (or other Samuel Fuller? I'm also looking for Park Row)
Also, I'd like to see Targets from 1968 with Boris Karloff and directed by Peter Bogdanovich. And this is asking for the world, but I would run to buy a copy of Kagemusha with a Coppola/Scorcese commentary!

Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor
Petula

The Music Lovers

O Lucky Man!

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane

Until the End of The World (directors cut)

Baby It's You

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Dance of the Dwarfs
Death Ship
Rikki Tiki Tavi
Without Warning
Scavenger Hunt
Wacko
Pandemonium
The Boogens
Savage Harvest
Squirm
Student Bodies
Dark Night of the Scarecrow
The Party Animal
Clarence, the Cross-Eyed Lion
The Possession of Joel Delaney
The outer-space horror unrelated trilogy:
Galaxy of Terror
Horror Planet
Forbidden World
and most of all...
Crimewave (Directed by Sam Raimi, written by Sam Raimi, Joel Coen and Ethan Coen)
Note to my buddy George Kaplan: Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl is indeed available on DVD. It's on the A&E Monty Python Live DVD set!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Lots and lots of titles ( some of which really aren't obscure, just seldom discussed or older. )
Unfaithfully Yours
Miracle of Morgan's Creek
A DVD port of the LD box set The Lubitsch Touch
The Reflecting Skin
The Rapture
A Guide for the Married Man - a favorite guilty pleasure.
Point Blank (1967)
Prime Cut
Smile
You can always count on Peter for a great list of titles, some of the ones he mentioned ( this time or in previous threads ) that I'd love to see include:
The Naked Prey
Beach Red
The Tall Target
99 River Street
Emperor of the North Pole
The President's Analyst
Tons and tons of RKO, noir, and crime titles. Here are just a few of these types of titles that I'd love to add to my collection:
Pickup on South Street
The Woman In The Window
Scarlett Street
Human Desire
Ministry of Fear
In A Lonely Place
The File On Thelma Jordan
Cry of the City
Kansas City Confidential
Murder, My Sweet
- Walter.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Boy was this thread resurrected from the dead. I had forgotten that I even started it.

Some great suggestions. It's movies like these that always get me excited whenever they are mentioned as coming out on DVD. I guess it's the happy surprise of it all.

Walter, A Guide for the Married Man is also a guilty pleasure of mine. Maybe it's that Turtles song. Great list of crime thrillers too. Those are the films that sadly, I really don't expect to see anytime soon on DVD, if at all.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Happy to see that nearly all the films I listed have surfaced on dvd, one of my favorite old horror movies is still missing though, The Skull (1965) starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, and was made in techniscope. I still have a horrible pan&scan version on tape. Amicus has been releasing their horror classics on dvd, I hope thats next.
Boy was this thread resurrected from the dead. I had forgotten that I even started it.
And just when you'd forgotten it again...:D

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
King of the Hill
Six Pack
Six Weeks
Night of the Creeps
Terror Train
Screwballs
Hardbodies
I Wanna Hold Your Hand
Screen Test
School Spirit
Xtro
Racing With the Moon
Spring Break
D.C. Cab
Nate and Hayes
Misunderstood
Up the Creek
Mischief
The Heavenly Kid
Unnatural Causes
Bill
Young Doctors in Love
Heartbeeps
Hero at Large

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Siege of the Saxons - Few people will admit to knowing this exists, and still fewer will admit to having seen it, but it made a huge impression on me as a child. By all accounts it's actually terrible but nonetheless....last sighting was a UK television airing 10-12 years ago, AFAIK.

MikeGale

Agent
Nightmare Alley - a great noir movie of the 40's from Fox, starring Tyrone Power
An Age Of Kings - this was a BBC TV cycle of Shakespeare's history plays, in 15 parts, which featured a young Sean Connery and very young Judy Dench.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Superfly is out, heck Mother, Juggs and Speed is out, but still no Fish That Saved Pittsburgh
And after just seeing the great Minnie & Moskowitz, could someone please release Lovestreams?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well 10 of my 17 wishes from back in 2001 have made it to dvd :emoji_thumbsup:, but there's still those other 7. :frowning:

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
The Quiet Earth - Geoff Murphy (New Zealand)
Bis ans Ende der Welt
(Until the End of the World) - Wim Wenders
(unintended theme there!)
I was going to add Down By Law - but lo and behold, Criterion has it out already! I had missed that release!
Hong gao liang
(Red Sorghum) - Yimou Zhang
Kaos - Paolo & Vittorio Taviani
And finally ...
Eyes Wide Shut (i.e. R1 unadulterated unrated "uncensored" version)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks