What's new

Directors Obscure films that you would love to see on DVD. (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
By obscure, I mean films that no one talks about at this forum or anywhere else. Films that you think no one else would know or care about. Personaly, I am restricting this to English Language films as Foreign films would give me too many choices. As it is, there are too many to name so I'll just pick 10 at random:
Dirty Little Billy
Fine Madness, A
Heart is a Lonely Hunter, The
Incident, The
Island of Terror
Joe
Melody
Straight Time
Torture Chamber of Dr Sadism
WUSA

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well lots of obscure movies to the general public are discussed here. The following are movies I want on dvd that follow your definition of obscure, in that I can't recall them ever being mentioned in a thread here, although I'm sure lots of members have heard of the movies.
The Long, Long Trailer
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Mosby's Marauders
Third Man on the Mountain
Night Train to Munich
The Paleface
Houseboat
A Guide for the Married Man
Man's Favorite Sport
Up in Arms
The Ghost & Mr. Chicken
The Reluctant Astronaut
The Shakiest Gun in the West
Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
Fun with Dick & Jane
Sorry, Wrong Number
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Nowhere
Fugazi Documentary(Dont know the name of it, but tey play it on Sundance Channel, which just got the boot from my cable company
angry.gif
)
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
"Starchaser: The Legend Of Orin" (The 3-D animated film)
"Rock & Rule"
And another vote for "Fun with Dick & Jane"
------------------

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
George
I have 5 of your films on Laser:
The Long, Long Trailer
Houseboat
The Ghost & Mr. Chicken
The Reluctant Astronaut
I love the title song of The Guide for the Married Man by the "Turtles". Even though I've never seen the film, I would buy the DVD just to hear that.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
First and foremost The Fearless Vampire Killers.
wink.gif
Others I was thinking of the other day:
Imitation Of Life (1934)
A Letter To Three Wives (1949)
Shenandoah (1965)
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (1974)
Also, George Kaplan's list reminded me of the classic Don Knotts movies. I would love to see these released on DVD.
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?
[Edited last by Jeff Amaris on October 11, 2001 at 05:30 PM]

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Obscure or forgotten films I'd like to see on DVD include...
The Skull (1965)
Dr.Terrors House of Horrors (1965)
Night of the Demon (1958)
House of Usher (1960)
Pit and the Pendulum (1961)
The Raven (1963)
Masque of the Red Death (1964)
And many Hammer Horror classics too many to mention.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
George
I have 5 of your films on Laser:
The Long, Long Trailer
Houseboat
The Ghost & Mr. Chicken
The Reluctant Astronaut
I envy you. Of those 5, I only have the Long, Long Trailer on ld (my wife and I watch it each year on Valentine's Day).
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
The Swarm!
The Deadly Bees!
oh, and The Boneyard. Silly to the extreme, but any horror movie with Phyllis Diller and this cover can't be too bad!
Link Removed
(BTW, when looking for the cover, I found out it was out on DVD!)

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
The Thin Blue Line
Gates of Heaven
A Brief History of Time
Three of the best documentaries I've ever seen, and they're all directed by the same guy, Errol Morris. If you're feeling a bit adventurous, I highly recommend you go out and buy or rent his latest film, Mr. Death. A great piece of work.
Oh, and I'll throw in another vote for Fearless Vampire Killers. But ONLY if it's Polanski's original cut.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)
[Edited last by Kevin Leonard on October 11, 2001 at 08:07 PM]

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Three of the best documentaries I've ever seen, and they're all directed by the same guy, Errol Morris.
confused.gif

The Thin Blue Line I'll admit is an extremely well-made documentary, but I fail to see what the big deal is. I can't help but think it's an overglorified episode of Unsolved Mysteries with its dramatic reenactments and use of film score. Somebody care to educate me
biggrin.gif
?
Oh, for my choice of obscure film titles
Toby and the Koala Bear
Dot and the Kangaroo
Dot and Santa Clause
Dot and Joey
All three films are pioneers in the cartoon/live action hybrid. And this all coming from a guy that loves blood and guts like The Godfather and Scarface.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Reflecting Skin - if you like David Lynch's films, you like this.
Men with Guns - didn't anyone else see this John Sayles film? Shoot! This was filmed in Spanish...
Santa Sangre - Alejandro Jodorowsky at his hallucinatory best.
The Ninth Configuration - not so much obscure as underrated. I can't believe you guys [apparently] haven't seen this...
Voyager - stars Sam Shepard and Julie Delphy. This is an adaptation of Max Frisch's novel Homo Faber.
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Sante Sangre
Superfly - ok, maybe it's not obscure but I haven't seen it discussed much and it's the one blaxploitation classic not on DVD.
The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh
Gates of Heaven
To Be Or Not To Be
Miracle At Morgan Creek
Hail The Conquering Hero
The Wind (1927)
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...24
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
This will probably never come to DVD, but I would like to see Something for Joey, the made-for-TV movie of John Cappelletti winning the 1973 Heisman Trophy at Penn State for his brother, Joey, who was dying of leukemia. The movie aired on TV many years ago and is never on anymore. I am a Penn State grad. and passed up the chance to get the movie on videotape when I was in State College last fall. When I went back there in February, the one store that had it was sold out and said they would not be getting it again.
frown.gif

------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks