What's new

Obscure Classic TV Shows - Post Your Favorites! (2 Viewers)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

A father and son lawyer duo take a variety of cases that often deal with the important issues of the day

S01E02 Killer Instinct (Sep.23.1961)

When mild-mannered Jim McLeery kills an abusive stranger, it seems a clear-cut case of self-defense. But the prosecution reveals that, in his army days, McCleery was trained to kill.​

The Prestons defend a man charged with murdering a storekeeper during a robbery, but they strongly disagree over his guilt. The drug-addicted client was found unconscious at the scene with the murder weapon in his hand. Lawrence believes he definitely committed the act and only hopes to plead for a lesser sentence, but Kenneth believes the man may be completely innocent of the murder.​

Inmates riot at a prison cell block, taking four hostages and threatening to kill them unless their demands are met. At the request of one of the riot's leaders, the warden asks Lawrence Preston to negotiate for the prisoners.​

When a defense witness is caught out in a lie on the stand, he insists that Lawrence Preston told him to do it.​

An army sergeant is charged with murdering a fellow officer by cutting the lines in his parachute, thus causing it not to open when he jumped. He requests the Prestons to assist in his defense even though they are civilians.​

Perhaps the greatest courtroom drama in television history gathering dust at Shout!Factory!!

Purchase The Defenders here!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Barney Ruditsky is a New York City police officer in the Roaring '20s who fights organized crime. The show was loosely based on the real life Rudisky who was a New York police officer during the period.

Best of Season One
S01E01 The Nick Joseph Story (Apr.16.1959)
Stars James Gregory Robert Karnes Vic Morrow Jan Merlin Peter Miller Harry Dean Stanton John Herman Shaner Richard Bakalyan Arthur Kendall Zachary Charles Stanley Adams Arlene McQuade Norma Eberhardt Gene Coogan Kenner G. Kemp Joe Ploski Cosmo Sardo Bernard Sell Carl Sklover Bob Whitney

Story of an ex con who makes a deal with police for a reduced sentence for a crime he committed.​

A bootlegger gets in trouble when he begins to hijack shipments.​

Girlfriend is murdered when she dumps bootlegger.​

When Ruditsky won't take a bribe, gang tries to frame him.​

Small-time hood Rico Silva, dubbed 'Lucky' by Barney Ruditsky after he survived having his handsome face slashed to ribbons by Legs Diamond's mob, attracts attention by promoting an ambitious plan to unite all the mobs.​

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Dan Stoddard, the mayor of Los Angeles, California, has created a special unit, "The Most Wanted" unit, in the Police Department to capture the most wanted criminals. Captain Linc Evers heads the unit and with Sergeant Benson and Office Manners, sets out each week to capture a different criminal.

S01E11 The Pirate (Jan.15.1977)
Stars Robert Stack Shelly Novack Jo Ann Harris Kenneth Tobey Larry Pennell Christine Belford Charles Bateman Mark Thomas Augusta Dabney Jay Varela Burt Douglas Buck Young Bucklind BeeryJames Chandler Don Ross Rick Beckner

At a marina, boat owners are turning up dead and their boats missing. When Evers goes undercover as a boat owner, he quickly finds his own life and the lives of his team also in danger.​

Bad guy plots to tunnel in to a bank vault via the L.A. canal system.​

When three high-ranking city employees are killed in automobile accidents where they had been run off the road, Linc Evers and his staff investigate and discover that all had been killed shortly after announcing their opposition to developers plans. When Linc learns a manager had received a threatening letter, his staff looks at stunt drivers and driving school employ... Read all

Over 10 years ago, a developer created several underground caches of arms and dynamite. Now, bad guys are trying to find the hidden arms and the old dynamite is leaking, which is leading to some very dangerous situations.​

The Dutchman is out of prison and ready for murder and mayhem. He starts by heisting a load of laser-guided rifles which he in turn uses for more jobs.​

Last edited:

Sky King

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Neal,

Its too bad that ABC wiped the videotapes of the Frank Sinatra Timex Show.
That common practice by ABC and NBC destroyed many shows forever or left us with inferior kinescopes. CBS was more protective and many of their early 2 in. Videotapes survive and look awesome, albeit in b/w.😉

John

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
I really enjoyed "The Lawless Years". I've seen it twice now. It surprised me when it had the five-parter "Louy K". I didn't think they did such a thing back then. In the end it was basically movie length. I enjoyed it so much that I actually ended up converting it to cut back on the over-the-top tinting on many of the episodes.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
Regarding "The Defenders", one of my favorite episodes is "The Hundred Lives of Harry Simms". Mainly because of the performance of "Frank Gorshin". I just recently saw him in an episode on "Combat!". I don't think I've ever seen a bad performance by Mr. Gorshin. In fact, this just gave me the incentive to look up his credits and see what other TV series I have with Mr. Gorshin. Maybe I'll make a weekend of watching his various performances (looks like I have 15 episodes to watch through the years).

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Neal,

Its too bad that ABC wiped the videotapes of the Frank Sinatra Timex Show.
That common practice by ABC and NBC destroyed many shows forever or left us with inferior kinescopes. CBS was more protective and many of their early 2 in. Videotapes survive and look awesome, albeit in b/w.😉

John
Seems be a reoccurring story John. Just what has CBS done with those masters. Have any been released?

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I really enjoyed "The Lawless Years". I've seen it twice now. It surprised me when it had the five-parter "Louy K". I didn't think they did such a thing back then. In the end it was basically movie length. I enjoyed it so much that I actually ended up converting it to cut back on the over-the-top tinting on many of the episodes.
Yes aside from the inconsistent image quality in Season One it’s a really fun series. I’m guessing the original prints came from different sources? I had forgotten about the Season Three Louy K 5-Parter. Those are unavailable on YouTube and even more of a reason to buy the series for those who have not. Now that you brought this up I’m going to rewatch them all. I wish you could post a few screen caps to show us how you reduced the sepia tone or as you say the over the top tinting. Why was that done anyway, do you know?

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Regarding "The Defenders", one of my favorite episodes is "The Hundred Lives of Harry Simms". Mainly because of the performance of "Frank Gorshin". I just recently saw him in an episode on "Combat!". I don't think I've ever seen a bad performance by Mr. Gorshin. In fact, this just gave me the incentive to look up his credits and see what other TV series I have with Mr. Gorshin. Maybe I'll make a weekend of watching his various performances (looks like I have 15 episodes to watch through the years).
Yes I should have chosen The Hundred Lives of Harry Simms as it’s a great one but I was limited to 5 in a single post. You certainly won’t have a shortage of choices for a Frank Gorshin marathon.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
I wish you could post a few screen caps to show us how you reduced the sepia tone or as you say the over the top tinting. Why was that done anyway, do you know?
I'll see what I can do.

From what I recall, most with the sepia tone were golden, while a few were even bluish. I think it was done for effect. I've seen some other B/W shows over the years that employed a slight greenish sepia tone. When originally playing with them, I removed all sepia tone to get pure B/W and honestly, they looked better with some sepia tone. I have to wonder if the amount we are seeing may actually be related to the age and lack of pristine care of the elements.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
Interestingly, all the youtube videos you posted earlier have the sepia completely removed. I remember that the first episode of season 1 was pretty golden on the Timeless release, but in the post above the sepia has been stripped away.

Here is a pic from season 2 episode 4. I don't have the original disks handy to add a before shot. After conversion the golden hue becomes a slight brownness hue
1643400852710.png

Here is a pic from season 3 episode 3. I don't recall the original but here is the converted image after the sepia tone was subdued. You'll have to pull out the original to compare.
1643400920865.png

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Interestingly, all the youtube videos you posted earlier have the sepia completely removed. I remember that the first episode of season 1 was pretty golden on the Timeless release, but in the post above the sepia has been stripped away.

Here is a pic from season 2 episode 4. I don't have the original disks handy to add a before shot. After conversion the golden hue becomes a slight brownness hue
View attachment 126368

Here is a pic from season 3 episode 3. I don't recall the original but here is the converted image after the sepia tone was subdued. You'll have to pull out the original to compare.
View attachment 126369
Thanks very much Brad. You are more observant than me. I should have noticed that the YouTube versions are absent of the toning. How strange is that? Maybe the uploader had the same thing in mind as you did, though I doubt it. I seem to have misplaced my DVD set which is strange for me because I'm normally very organized. Perhaps one of our in-house screen cappers who frequent this thread like Randall or Jeff can show us some before images.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

A crusty old veteran big-rig trucker teams up with a college-educated youngster to haul cargo across the country.

S01E12 Goin' Home: Part 1 (Dec.12.1974)
Stars Claude Akins Frank Converse Sheree North John Vernon Will Hutchins Jamie Smith-Jackson Woodrow Parfrey Mathilda Calnan Jerell O. Malone

While in a cafe in Las Vegas, Sonny moans to Will about how depressing it is to spend Christmas on the road. So they head for Phoenix for dinner with Sonny's uncle, but end up with Sonny's ex-wife instead.​

Will and Sonny almost have a collision with Laura on a North Carolina mountain road after her farm truck has a brake failure. As Will finds himself attracted to her, Sonny finds himself suspicious of her motives, and of her hauling business.​

One of my all-time favorites. Kind of a 1970’s Route 66!!
Purchase Movin’ On Season One Movin’ On Season Two

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

After Baretta busts a small time numbers racket his girlfriend is shot and killed. He looks to come up with a plan that will allow him to seek revenge while making sure he stays on the right side of the law.​

Baretta comes to suspect that his close friend, a music store owner, may not only be a drug dealer but may be unknowingly selling heroin so pure that it's killing his customers.​

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Jerry and Pamela North live in Greenwich Village in New York City. Jerry is a mystery magazine publisher who thinks he is a good amateur detective. He and his wife investigate various crimes and solve them before the police do.

S01E02 Till Death Do Us Part (oct.10.1952)
Stars Richard Denning Barbara Britton Francis De Sales Donald Randolph Lillian Bronson Fay Roope Sheila Watson Perry Ivins

While heading out to celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary, the Norths receive a package containing bride and groom dolls--and the bride has a bloody dagger stuck in her back. Suddenly, there's a scream from the hall and in falls a neighbor in her bridal gown, stabbed to death. Confusing matters more, an old woman with a gun arrives demanding the dolls back, saying they were delivered to the Norths by mistake.​

The Norths meet their new neighbor, Tommy Clarkson, when he tumbles down the stairs and lands at their feet. He claims someone's been trying to kill him. After Pam's purse gets switched with that of his Aunt Laura, she goes to the Clarkson apartment and finds the young man nearly dead on the floor. With Lt. Weigand now involved, Pam goes snooping on her own and uncovers the reason someone desperately wants Tommy dead before his 21st birthday.​

The Norths are asked for help by a young lawyer friend who has received a death threat on the evening before his impending marriage.​

Gordon Lane, a suicidal invalid, is bitter about his life and jealous of his wife's lover. Marion Lane feels trapped in an unhappy marriage and wants her lover, Barry, to kill her bed-ridden husband. When Barry turns up dead in the Lane's home, Marion is the only logical suspect But when the Norths visit, Pam discovers the truth behind Gordon's disabilities and finds her own life in jeopardy.​

The manicurist at Jerry's favorite barber shop recognizes a customer as a wanted murderer, but instead of phoning the police, she devises a plan to blackmail him. However, her scheme goes awry, with deadly results.​

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Dream It Up (1952)

Episode: Whistling In The Mirror (1952)
Stars
Chick Chandler

Speaking of Chick Chandler...he makes for a great, stalwart co-star alongside a pre-Lawman John Russell in the very fun Revue adventure series, Soldiers of Fortune (1955-1957).

*Please note: most of the YouTube links below are absent the title sequence, and are mislabeled re: episode titles*

"The Gaboon Viper" (with Dan Seymour):

"The Greatest Beast" (with Henry Brandon):

"The Runaway King" (with Jeff York):

"The City of Doom":

I wrote a blog post about this series almost 10 years ago. The show is a lot of fun, with terrific chemistry between the two leads...though it must be said, the prints on Timeless' DVD set are variable in the extreme. Still one of the best "blind buy" disc purchases I've ever made, and is still available to purchase here.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Speaking of Chick Chandler...he makes for a great, stalwart co-star alongside a pre-Lawman John Russell in the very fun Revue adventure series, Soldiers of Fortune (1955-1957).

*Please note: most of the YouTube links below are absent the title sequence, and are mislabeled re: episode titles*

I wrote a blog post about this series almost 10 years ago. The show is a lot of fun, with terrific chemistry between the two leads...though it must be said, the prints on Timeless' DVD set are variable in the extreme. Still one of the best "blind buy" disc purchases I've ever made, and is still available to purchase here.
Superb review at TheStalkingMoon Jeff. I guess it isn't easy to find something I haven't already posted but you managed to do just that! Would you believe I purchased this many years ago and completely forgot about it? So now I have something new (old) to watch! Thanks!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

After her father's death, Honey West takes over his high-tech private-detective firm, assisted by rugged Sam Bolt--and her pet ocelot Bruce.

S01E01 The Swingin’ Mrs. Jones (Sep.17.1965)

After losing her client's $50,000 and getting a knock on the head in the bargain, Honey West is more determined than ever to break up a blackmail ring that preys on wealthy middle-aged women.​

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
I'll try adding one that hopefully isn't a repeat. What I like about the series is that Jock Mahoney is a stunt man by trade and Dickie Jones has been a trick rider since youth. It adds so much more when the stars can do their own thing without the need for doubles. The episode I attached is just a random one I found.

The Range Rider had a reputation for fairness, fighting ability, and accuracy with his guns and was known far and wide, even by the Indians.

S2E14: Secret of the Red Raven

Storekeeper Hilton is running a smuggling operation through a mine owned by Pete Harper and his young granddaughter Susan.When his henchmen fail to get rid of Pete he hires a bandit , Joe Larkin ,to do the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eletkanrokn
Recent bookmarks