What's new

Obscure Classic TV Shows - Post Your Favorites! (1 Viewer)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Way back on Page 1 of this thread on Jul 8, 2021 Marv posted our first look at this long running series. Then on Jul 14, 2021 I added a few more. Here’s a couple of very high quality episodes. The latter was uploaded today November 1, 2021 and also contains an episode of My Hero 1952–1953) probably by mistake as many others have been uploaded from the same YT account holder.

Stump the Stars Original title: Pantomime Quiz (1947-1960) Stars Mike Stokey Vincent Price Sebastian Cabot Beverly Garland Ross Martin Hans Conried Stubby Kaye Richard Long Dorothy Hart Bill Baldwin Jackie Coogan Diana Dors Robert Clary Ruta Lee

Television's first treatment of "Charades" as played by Hollywood celebrities. The giveaway was the use of gestures that defined "film", "TV show", "book" or "song" as well as "small word (a, an, the)"and gestures for syllables, number of words, and expand or stretch . I remember later as I grew up that "Charades" used these gestures from the show I remembered in my youth as "Stump the Stars." (From IMDb)

Pantomime Quiz, initially titled Pantomime Quiz Time and later Stump the Stars, was an American television game show produced and hosted by Mike Stokey. Running from 1947—1959, it has the distinction of being one of the few television series—along with The Arthur Murray Party; Down You Go; The Ernie Kovacs Show, The Original Amateur Hour; and Tom Corbett, Space Cadet—to air on all four TV networks in the US during the Golden Age of Television. (From Wikipedia)

March of Dimes Filmed Episode (Late 1949)

Host: Mike Stokey Hostess: Sandra Spence Guest Stars: Vincent Price, Hans Conreid, Frank DeVol, Chili Williams, Evelyn Ankers, Jane Nigh Announcer: Roy Rowan Mike Stokey was a winner in the first ever Emmy Awards in 1949 for Most Popular Television Program. This is a special filmed episode made for the March of Dimes in late 1949. They were raising money to fight the polio epidemic of the day.

Unknown Episode Regular Stars Adele Jergens Jackie Coogan Vincent Price Hans Conried Guest-Stars Jane Nigh Barton MacLane Audrey Long Willard Parker (Uploaded today November 1, 2021)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
This religion based series reminds me of another Insight (1960-1984) of which I posted many back on Jul 31, 2021. However it is quite bland in comparison.

The Christophers (1952-1970)
In 1945, "The Christophers" began their weekly half-hour radio program. The group was formed that year by Maryknoll priest Father James Keller. Beginning in 1952, the program began being aired on ABC TV with "You Can Change the World," with founder Fr. James Keller, Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby and others. Through many short television plays starring many of the top-billed names in show business, Father Keller sought to embrace not only those who accepted a Judeo-Christian faith, but in particular those he called the "hundred million"; those with no ties to any organized faith or whose personal convictions had soured through bitter experiences.

The Meaning of Excellence (Apr.28.1963) Stars Ray Bolger John W. Gardner

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Way back on Page 1 of this thread on Jul 8, 2021 Marv posted our first look at this long running series. Then on Jul 14, 2021 I added a few more. Here’s a couple of very high quality episodes. The latter was uploaded today November 1, 2021 and also contains an episode of My Hero 1952–1953) probably by mistake as many others have been uploaded from the same YT account holder.

Stump the Stars Original title: Pantomime Quiz (1947-1960) Stars Mike Stokey Vincent Price Sebastian Cabot Beverly Garland Ross Martin Hans Conried Stubby Kaye Richard Long Dorothy Hart Bill Baldwin Jackie Coogan Diana Dors Robert Clary Ruta Lee

Television's first treatment of "Charades" as played by Hollywood celebrities. The giveaway was the use of gestures that defined "film", "TV show", "book" or "song" as well as "small word (a, an, the)"and gestures for syllables, number of words, and expand or stretch . I remember later as I grew up that "Charades" used these gestures from the show I remembered in my youth as "Stump the Stars." (From IMDb)

Pantomime Quiz, initially titled Pantomime Quiz Time and later Stump the Stars, was an American television game show produced and hosted by Mike Stokey. Running from 1947—1959, it has the distinction of being one of the few television series—along with The Arthur Murray Party; Down You Go; The Ernie Kovacs Show, The Original Amateur Hour; and Tom Corbett, Space Cadet—to air on all four TV networks in the US during the Golden Age of Television. (From Wikipedia)

March of Dimes Filmed Episode (Late 1949)

Host: Mike Stokey Hostess: Sandra Spence Guest Stars: Vincent Price, Hans Conreid, Frank DeVol, Chili Williams, Evelyn Ankers, Jane Nigh Announcer: Roy Rowan Mike Stokey was a winner in the first ever Emmy Awards in 1949 for Most Popular Television Program. This is a special filmed episode made for the March of Dimes in late 1949. They were raising money to fight the polio epidemic of the day.

Unknown Episode Regular Stars Adele Jergens Jackie Coogan Vincent Price Hans Conried Guest-Stars Jane Nigh Barton MacLane Audrey Long Willard Parker (Uploaded today November 1, 2021)

Hey Neal - As I said when I posted. This is a favorite of mine. If they were put out commercially I would be all over the release.

And we have posted an example of every show that had been on all four networks. Are we awsome or what!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Hey Neal - As I said when I posted. This is a favorite of mine. If they were put out commercially I would be all over the release.

And we have posted an example of every show that had been on all four networks. Are we awesome or what!
You have good taste Marv, it's a very entertaining series and yes we are awesome.
icon_e_lol2.gif

By the way for anyone who enjoys it as much as we do, there's actually a YT channel devoted to Stump the Stars!!

Stump the Stars.jpg

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
You could start a thread entitled William Shatner Appearances, and it would last a long time. Here's Shatner once again (with the lovely Janice Rule)!

Barnaby Jones (1973-1980) Stars Buddy Ebsen Lee Meriwether Mark Shera

The exploits of milk-swilling, geriatric private eye Barnaby Jones.

S01E02 Catch a Dead Man (Feb.04.1973) Stars Buddy Ebsen Lee Meriwether Janice Rule William Shatner Darleen Carr Victoria Shaw James McCallion Anne Randall Charles Cyphers Eldon Quick David Ankrum Jack Grapes Damu King Stuart Nisbet Erena Radich Matt Pelto Sharon Johansen Pat O'Hara Premiered 7 hours ago

A millionaire sets up a bomb in his boat to fake his death. Barnaby is contacted by the girlfriend of his boat "captain" to investigate what happened. Small clues like hand-tied flies, a cat boarded at a vet's, and an apple slicer bring Barnaby to a confrontation with a killer.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Most Wanted (1976-1977) Stars Robert Stack Shelly Novack Jo Ann Harris

Dan Stoddard, the mayor of Los Angeles, California, has created a special unit, "The Most Wanted" unit, in the Police Department to capture the most wanted criminals. Captain Linc Evers heads the unit and with Sergeant Benson and Office Manners, sets out each week to capture a different criminal.

S01E00 Pilot (Mar.21.1976) Stars Robert Stack Leslie Charleson Shelly Novack Tom Selleck Marj Dusay Jack Kehoe Sheree North Roger Perry Percy Rodrigues Fred Sadoff Kitty Winn Don Calfa Robert Doyle Richard Lawson Gloria McMillan Julio Medina Jack Stauffer Michael Warren Keith Atkinson Gail Cameron Miriam Davis Joyce DeWitt Rose Freeman Tanya Lemani Bebe Kelly Beverly Washburn

A rapist/killer who preys on nuns prompts the mayor of Los Angeles to create a special task force headed by Linc Evers. Can they catch the killer before he strikes again?

This CBS MOD is still available here. While not inexpensive this was prior to CBS making the decision to double-up on their pricing thus leading to their demise shortly after the release of My Three Sons Season Five. Though it lasted but a single season, Most Wanted is worthy of a purchase.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Mannix (1967-1975) Stars Mike Connors Gail Fisher Ward Wood

Mannix worked originally for Wickersham at Intertect and then struck out on his own, assisted by Peggy Fair (whose cop-husband had been killed) and Police Department contact Tobias.

S01E01 The Name Is Mannix (Sep.16.1967) Stars Mike Connors Joseph Campanella Lloyd Nolan Kim Hunter John Colicos Barbara Anderson ob Garrett Robert 'Buzz' Henry K.L. Smith Morgan Jones Henry Wills

In the series debut, individualist private detective Joe Mannix is working at a corporate agency. Company rules dictate only one piece of paper on a desk at a time; Mannix's desk is cluttered. Despite Mannix's disdain for the rules, the head of the agency, Lew Wickersham also knows Mannix "is my best man." Mannix is sent to investigate a missing person's case. The client is a retired mobster, who first tests Mannix. The detective is told the missing person, the mobster's daughter, is kidnapped. Mannix will encounter much treachery before learning the true facts of the case.

Yet another great series which can be purchased here!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Starsky and Hutch (1975-1979) Stars David Soul Paul Michael Glaser Antonio Fargas

Two streetwise cops bust criminals in their red-and-white Ford Gran Torino, with the help of police snitch, Huggy Bear (Antonio Fargas).

S01E00 Pilot (Apr.30.1975) Stars David Soul Paul Michael Glaser Michael Lerner Morgan Sterne Michael Conrad Antonio Fargas Richard Ward Gilbert Green Carole White Don Billett Gordon Jump Karen Lamm James Brodhead Douglas Fowley Larry Manetti Simone Griffeth Bill Smillie Buddy Lester Premiered 15 hours ago

The two detectives, investigating a double homicide, discover that the man and woman who died in a car identical to Starsky's were mistakenly murdered - it was the detectives themselves who were the intended targets.

Another great series which can be purchased here!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Police Squad! (1982) Stars Leslie Nielsen Alan North Rex Hamilton Ed Williams William Duell Peter Lupus Tessa Richarde Georg Stanford Brown William Conrad Robert Goulet Lorne Greene Florence Henderson William Shatner Rudy Solari Barbara Tarbuck Joyce Brothers Dick Clark Tommy Lasorda Al Ruscio Patrick St. Esprit Terry Wills Terrence Beasor Robert Costanzo Nicolas Coster Danny Dayton Spencer Milligan John Ashton Bonnie Campbell-Britton Floyd Levine Claudette Nevins Russell Shannon Lilibet Stern Jimmy Briscoe Irwin Keyes Dick Miller Connie Needham Kate O'Sullivan Byron Webster Grand L. Bush Rebecca Holden Jerry Layne Ken Michelman Kathryn Leigh Scott Peter Elbling Wayne Winton K Callan Marvin Miller Tiny Ron Michael Frost Hank RobinsonThomas Rosales Jr. Mallory Sandler David Schwimmer Tony Sirico

Police Squad! was an American television crime comedy series broadcast on the ABC network in 1982. It was created by David Zucker, Jim Abrahams, and Jerry Zucker, and starred Leslie Nielsen as Frank Drebin. A spoof of police procedurals, the series featured Zucker, Abrahams, and Zucker's usual sight gags, wordplay and non sequiturs. While a parody of many television shows and movies, it bore a particular resemblance to the Lee Marvin cop show M Squad (in particular the opening credits) and the late 1960s series Felony Squad.[2] Although the show was canceled after six episodes, it later successfully spawned The Naked Gun film series from 1988 to 1994. In 2013, TV Guide ranked it #7 on its list of 60 shows that were "Cancelled Too Soon". (From Wikipedia.)

Note: Each episode had two titles. The first title was shown on the screen while announcer Hank Simms (famous for his announcing style on Quinn Martin detective shows) read the second one instead.

S01E01 A Substantial Gift (The Broken Promise) (Mar.04.1982) Stars Leslie Nielsen Alan North Rex Hamilton Lorne Greene Ed Williams William Duell Barbara Tarbuck Terry Wills Terrence Beasor Russell Shannon Jimmy Briscoe Kathryn Leigh Scott

Frank investigates a murder case at a bank where a robber shot the clerk and then another staff member, Sally, shot the robber. The autopsy, however, shows differently.

S01E02 Ring of Fear (A Dangerous Assignment) (Mar.11.1982) Stars Leslie Nielsen Alan North Rex Hamilton Georg Stanford Brown Ed Williams William Duell Rudy Solari Patrick St. Esprit Tessa Richarde Floyd Levine Irwin Keyes Grand L. Bush

In order to infiltrate a criminal gang that bribes boxers Frank makes a contract with one of them, Buddy. This leads to a kidnapping of his girlfriend and Frank has to find her before Buddy forfeits.

S01E03 The Butler Did It (A Bird in the Hand) (Mar.18.1982) Stars Leslie Nielsen Alan North Rex Hamilton Robert Goulet Ed Williams William Duell Peter Lupus Tommy Lasorda Nicolas Coster Lilibet Stern Byron Webster Ken Michelman Peter Elbling K Callan

The daughter of a textile tycoon is kidnapped and Frank must find her before it's too late to pay the ransom.

S01E04 Revenge and Remorse (The Guilty Alibi) (Mar.25.1982) Stars Leslie Nielsen Alan North Rex Hamilton William Shatner Ed Williams William Duell Peter Lupus Joyce Brothers Spencer Milligan Bonnie Campbell-Britton Kate O'Sullivan

A judge is blown up as a session starts. Frank's investigation soon leads to a man who was convicted by him in the past.

S01E05 Rendezvous at Big Gulch (Terror in the Neighborhood) (Jul.01.1982) Stars Leslie NielsenAlan NorthRex Hamilton

When a woman reports being blackmailed by some thugs, Police Squad get even more reports of the same kind from other shop owners. To gain a better perspective, Frank and Norberg open up a key store in the most troubled area.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Last edited:

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan

Merv Griffin invites a series of actors, actresses, writers, and directors to discuss the progressive work they have done and current culture, arts, and entertainment surrounding the numerous projects.

S03E221 Mort Sahl, Genevieve, Dr. Timothy Leary (Jul.13.1966)
Stars Merv Griffin Mort Sahl Genevieve Timothy Leary Mort Lindsey Mort Lindsey Orchestra Arthur Treacher

I’ve watched Sahl’s Cavett appearances a few times in recent years. Up until the pandemic, he was still doing a weekly live show/livestream, he’d had a stroke and was a bit harder to understand at first but was still sharp and funny in his 90’s. Watched this documentary about him a few days ago.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
The Avengers (1961-1969) Stars Patrick Macnee Diana Rigg Honor Blackman Linda Thorson Ian Hendry Patrick Newell Ingrid Hafner Douglas Muir Terence Plummer Valentino Musetti Julie Stevens Edwin Richfield Norman Chappell Frank Maher Richard Neller Philip Madoc Ray Browne Robert James Rocky Taylor Terry Richards Cliff Diggins Kenneth J. Warren Warren Mitchell Julian Glover Paul Whitsun-Jones Roy Kinnear John Laurie Peter Bowles Judy Parfitt Gerald Sim John Bailey John HollisJohn Hollis Doug Robinson Peter J. Elliott Anthony Blackshaw Peter Barkworth Allan CuthbertsonPeter Arne

A quirky spy show of the adventures of eccentrically suave British Agent John Steed and his predominately female partners.

S05E06 The Winged Avenger (Feb.17.1967) Stars Patrick Macnee Diana Rigg Nigel Green Jack MacGowran Neil Hallett Colin Jeavons Roy Patrick John Garrie Donald Pickering William Fox A.J. Brown Hilary Wontner John Crocker Ann SidneyAnn Sidney

Several businessmen have been killed, the murderer having apparently clawed them to death so that the initial suspect is an author who owns a bird of prey and had a grudge against a victim who ran a publishing house. However, the discovery of a comic called 'The Winged Avenger' featuring a super-hero is found by the latest victim. And could the invention of Professor Poole, boots that allow the wearer to climb walls and scale ceilings, be involved?

S05E11 Epic (Apr.14.1967) Stars Patrick Macnee Diana Rigg Peter Wyngarde Isa Miranda Kenneth J. Warren David Lodge Anthony Dawes

Z.Z. von Schnerk, a mad Teutonic film director of the Erich von Stroheim variety, along with his has-been leading actor and actress, Stewart Kirby and Damita Syn, capture Mrs. Peel in an effort to make a movie about her life and exciting adventures. Unfortunately it is to end with her violent death so Steed has to follow the clues to find her.

S06E07 Murdersville (Feb.07.1968) Stars Patrick Macnee Diana Rigg Colin Blakely John Ronane Ronald Hines John Sharp Sheila Fearn Eric Flynn Norman Chappell Robert Cawdron Marijke Mann Irene Bradshaw Joseph Greig Geoffrey Colville Langton Jones Tony Caunter John Chandos Andrew Laurence

When Mrs. Peel's friend Major Croft goes missing she traces him to the picture postcard village of Little Storping. Unfortunately the entire population are assassins for hire who lure their victims to the village, kill them and then claim that they have never been there. Croft has been killed, along with his valet to prevent them from exposing the sinister secret and Mrs. Peel is next on the hit list unless Steed can save her. Fortunately, she manages to put in a phone call to her 'husband.'

Diana Rigg Tribute

Diana Rigg Short
minikillers (1969) Stars Diana Rigg José Nieto Moisés Augusto Rocha

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
The Avengers (1961-1969) Stars Patrick Macnee Diana Rigg Honor Blackman Linda Thorson

S01E15 The Frighteners (May.27.1961) Stars Ian Hendry Patrick Macnee Ingrid Hafner Willoughby Goddard Philip Gilbert Philip Gilbert Philip Locke Doris Hare Stratford Johns Dawn Beret David Andrews Godfrey James Neil Wilson Eric Elliott Ann Taylor Ralph Tovey Benn Simons Eleanor Darling Benny Nightingale Victor Charrington Frank Peters Charles Wood

Sir Thomas Waller disapproves of his daughter's choice in boyfriends and hires a criminal to scare off an unwanted suitor. Keel and Steed rescue the swain from the criminal's henchman and discover a clue to an extortion plot.

The New Avengers (1976-1977) Stars Patrick Macnee Gareth Hunt Joanna Lumley

Secret agent Steed, working for an unnamed branch of British intelligence, is teamed up with two partners to fight evil plots for world domination, dealing with suspended animation, biological warfare, robotics, and other threats.

S01E06 Target! (Sep.12.1978) Stars Patrick Macnee Gareth Hunt Joanna Lumley Keith Barron Robert Beatty Roy Boyd Frederick Jaeger Malcolm Stoddard Deep Roy John Paul Bruce Purchase Dennis Blanch Robert Tayman

Ministry agents are dropping dead of natural causes either on leave, or just about to go. Discovering a pattern, all clues lead back to the training range where Purdey has just scored a 99% walk through. Unfortunately for her, it's the one remaining per cent that kills.

S01E08 The Tale of the Big Why (Feb.02.1979) Stars Patrick Macnee Gareth Hunt Joanna Lumley Derek Waring Jenny Runacre George A. Cooper Roy Marsden Gary Waldhorn Rowland Davies Geoffrey Toone Maev Alexander

Bert Brandon is released from jail and several parties, including the New Avengers, follow him to get their hands on the information he has been keeping secret, whatever it may be.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I just saw that Mort Sahl died on the 27th of October. RIP
He was our shining political light when people didn't talk about such things.

I’ve watched Sahl’s Cavett appearances a few times in recent years. Up until the pandemic, he was still doing a weekly live show/livestream, he’d had a stroke and was a bit harder to understand at first but was still sharp and funny in his 90’s. Watched this documentary about him a few days ago.
Sorry to hear about his passing, but he did live to a grand old age of 94. When he filmed that segment for See America With Ed Sullivan: San Francisco, he was breaking big...on the cover of Time Magazine for a feature on 1960 election year political satire (while writing jokes for JFK's campaign speeches), that same week appearing in the Sidney Poitier/Alan Ladd/James Darren Korean War film All The Young Men, Gold record comedy album, and also appearing in an early episode of Boris Karloff's Thriller, Man in the Middle (in later years, he'd turn up in episodes of Ironside, Love American Style, Emergency! and The Snoop Sisters)...
1101600815_400.jpg

220px-Mort_Sahl_Ed_Sullivan_1960.JPG

image.jpg

MV5BMDdlMmU5MmItYzg5NS00ZGQ2LTk1MGItZjIzOTBmZDg5MzBmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQzNDI3NzY@._V1_.jpg

ApNewsroom_Mort_Sahl_1959_APHS295258.jpg

MortSahl1960.jpg

With gorgeous Yvonne Craig!
morthaul.jpg

Television is never more false than when it's openly sincere
-Mort Sahl.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks