What's new

Obscure Classic TV Shows - Post Your Favorites! (2 Viewers)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
The Dick Cavett Show (1968-1986)
This particular series combines several "The Dick Cavett Show" on ABC: ABC This Morning/The Dick Cavett Show ABC Daytime March 1968 - January 1969 The Dick Cavett Show ABC Primetime May 1969 - September 1969 The Dick Cavett Show ABC Late Night December 1969 - January 1975 The Dick Cavett Show ABC Late Night September - December 1986 (More at Wikipedia)

ALFRED HITCHCOCK (Jun 8, 1972)

WOODY ALLEN (Oct 20, 1971)

JERRY LEWIS (Feb 23, 1973)

JACK BENNY, BILL COSBY and JOE FRAZIER (Feb 21, 1973)

GROUCHO MARX, DEBBIE REYNOLDS, DAN ROWAN and ERIN FLEMING (Dec 16, 1971)

The Dick Cavett Show (1968-1986)

This particular series combines several "The Dick Cavett Show" on ABC: ABC This Morning/The Dick Cavett Show ABC Daytime March 1968 - January 1969 The Dick Cavett Show ABC Primetime May 1969 - September 1969 The Dick Cavett Show ABC Late Night December 1969 - January 1975 The Dick Cavett Show ABC Late Night September - December 1986 (More at Wikipedia)

Alfred Hitchcock (Jun 8, 1972) Stars Dick Cavett Alfred Hitchcock Martin Balsam (archive footage)

Dick Cavett spends 90 minutes with legendary film director Alfred Hitchcock in a 1972 interview. Hitch discusses cinema, his life and career, and explains how he pulled off some "ingenious" special effects in his movies. He also discusses actors, screen violence and how he enjoys watching an audience "dipping their toe in the cold water of fear." Included are clips from his films "Psycho," "The Birds" and "Frenzy."

S06E23 Woody Allen (Oct 20, 1971) Stars Dick Cavett Woody Allen Bobby Rosengarden Fred Foy

Woody shows clips from his directoial debut, Take the Money and Run, and the recently released Bananas.

Jerry Lewis (Feb 23, 1973) Stars Dick Cavett Jerry Lewis Fred Foy (voice)

Jerry Lewis and Cavett discuss filmmaking, Jerry's former partner Dean Martin, and engage in a lengthy question and answer session with the studio audience.

Jack Benny, Bill Cosby, Joe Frazier (Feb 21, 1973) Stars Dick Cavett Jack Benny Bill Cosby Joe Frazier

Jack Benny was often known to break up just from the sight of certain performers. Bill Cosby was particularly funny on this night, and Benny is literally folded in half convulsed with laughter when Cosby tells a story about his jazz jamming.

Groucho Marx, Debbie Reynolds, Dan Rowan, Erin Fleming (Dec 16, 1971) Stars Dick Cavett Erin Fleming Fred Foy Groucho Marx Debbie Reynolds Bobby Rosengarden Dan Rowan

Host Dick Cavett welcomes guests actor-comedian Groucho Marx, actress Debbie Reynolds, comedian Dan Rowan and Erin Fleming.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
THE SMOTHERS BROTHERS and GEORGE BURNS (Dec 15, 1971)

PAUL NEWMAN and CHRISTIAN BARNARD (May 4, 1970)

DON RICKLES, EARL WILSON, BEVERLY SILLS and PHYLLIS KIRK (Apr, 13 1972)

DINAH SHORE, MILTON BERLE and TUESDAY WELD (Oct 8, 1971)

GROUCHO MARX, TRUMAN CAPOTE and JIM FOWLER (May 25, 1971)

John Lennon/Yoko Ono (Sep.21.1971) Stars Dick Cavett John Lennon Yoko Ono
This interview was Lennon's first on American television since the breakup of The Beatles the year before.

S03E09 Groucho Marx (Jun.13.1969) Stars Dick Cavett Groucho Marx Bobby Rosengarden

Groucho talks about his childhood, vaudeville, censorship, his brothers, Irving Thalberg, Margaret Dumont, and sings one of his signature songs, 'Lydia the Tattooed Lady', along with 'Everybody Works But Father' and 'Father's Day'.

Marlon Brando (Jun.12. 1973) Stars Dick Cavett Marlon Brando Sam Cagey

Cavett interviews Brando and four Native American representatives.

Richard Pryor (Dec.16.1985) Stars Dick Cavett Richard Pryor

Kirk Douglas (June 29, 1971) Stars Dick Cavett Bobby Rosengarden

Host Dick Cavett welcomes his only guest, legendary actor Kirk Douglas.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
MEL BROOKS, FRANK CAPRA, ROBERT ALTMAN and PETER BOGDANOVICH (Jan 21, 1972)

SAMMY DAVIS, JR. ANISSA JONES AND GARRICK OHLSSON (Jun 14, 1972)

JANE FONDA, PETER FONDA and MORT SAHL (Mar 13, 1970)

KIRK DOUGLAS (June 29, 1971)

ISAAC STERN , HENRY FONDA and CHARLOTTE CURTIS (Dec 20, 1969)

John Cassavetes/Peter Falk/Ben Gazzara (Sep.21.1970) (Segment) Stars Dick Cavett Bobby Rosengarden John Cassavetes

Dick gets a hard time in this one and has gone on record to say it's one of his least favorite shows - you can see why!

Groucho Marx Dick Cavett (Mar.03.1970)

Jane Fonda/Lanada Means/Peter Fonda/Henry Fonda/Dr. Michael Ramsey/Mort Sahl (Mar 13, 1970) (Poor Quality) Stars Dick Cavett Jane Fonda Lanada Means

Paul Newman/Dr. Christiaan Barnard (May 4, 1970) (Poor Quality) Stars Dick Cavett Paul Newman Christiaan Barnard

Muhammad Ali/Joe Frazier/Eddie Jones/Felix Parnes/Walter Youngblood/Larry Holmes (Jan.17.1974) (Poor Quality) Stars Dick Cavett Muhammad Ali Joe Frazier

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
The Bold Ones: The New Doctors (1969-1973) Stars David Hartman E.G. Marshall John Saxon Robert Walden

The cases of well-respected neurosurgeon Dr. David Craig and his young charges. This series is available on DVD. If you are entertained by watching folks battle various illnesses like most other medical dramas then this one might be for you. I’ve chosen a sampling of 10 best of the total 45 episodes featuring the most interesting guest-stars.

S02E01 This Will Really Kill You (Sep.20.1970) Tisha Sterling Michael Anderson Jr. George Murdock Ann Prentiss Sandy Kenyon John Lupton

Joan, a very pregnant woman, is admitted to the hospital needing an operation but she's an addict. Drs. Hunter and Stuart become involved, tracking down the baby's father Jerry, who's also a junkie. Dr. Hunter discovers the teenage neighbor boy, Hal Parker, is also a user. Methods of treatment are examined.

S02E02 Killer on the Loose (Oct.11.1970) Robert Hooks Georg Stanford Brown Julie Adams Della Reese Keith Andes Tom Drake Eric Laneuville Kay Peters Virginia Gregg Myron Healey

A mysterious virus invades the hospital as the doctors struggle to find a cure.

S02E03 Giants Never Kneel (Oct.25.1970) Arthur Hill Roger Perry DeForest Kelley Carol Lynley Kevin Hagen Douglas Dick Kasey Rogers

A tycoon checks himself into the Craig Institute to manipulate the stock of his company, but also actually is concealing a real illness.

S02E05 In Dreams They Run (Dec. 13.1970) Joanne Linville Arch Johnson Lincoln Kilpatrick Ellaraino Jason Karpf Robbie MacDonald Del Moore Anne Whitfield

In this episode directed by Jerry Lewis, patients in the neurological unit include a golf pro who is showing symptoms of a possible muscular disease and a boy with muscular dystrophy whose parents disagree as to whether he should be at home or in the hospital.

S02E08 Tender Predator (Feb.14.1971) Karen Valentine Katherine Crawford Melissa Hart Kiel Martin Fred Holliday Jean Inness Robin Raymond Jennie Blackton

Budget cuts put Craig in the difficult position of deciding which valuable research programs will have to be dropped, including one that is necessary for determining the cause of a young woman's seizures and blackouts. What's more, the young doctor in charge of that program is falling in love with the girl.

The Bold Ones: The New Doctors (1969-1973) Stars David Hartman E.G. Marshall John Saxon Robert Walden

The cases of well-respected neurosurgeon Dr. David Craig and his young charges. This series is available on DVD. If you are entertained by watching folks battle various illnesses like most other medical dramas then this one might be for you. I’ve chosen a sampling of 10 best of the total 45 episodes featuring the most interesting guest-stars.

S02E01 This Will Really Kill You (Sep.20.1970) Tisha Sterling Michael Anderson Jr. George Murdock Ann Prentiss Sandy Kenyon John Lupton

Joan, a very pregnant woman, is admitted to the hospital needing an operation but she's an addict. Drs. Hunter and Stuart become involved, tracking down the baby's father Jerry, who's also a junkie. Dr. Hunter discovers the teenage neighbor boy, Hal Parker, is also a user. Methods of treatment are examined.

S02E02 Killer on the Loose (Oct.11.1970) Robert Hooks Georg Stanford Brown Julie Adams Della Reese Keith Andes Tom Drake Eric Laneuville Kay Peters Virginia Gregg Myron Healey

A mysterious virus invades the hospital as the doctors struggle to find a cure.

S02E03 Giants Never Kneel (Oct.25.1970) Arthur Hill Roger Perry DeForest Kelley Carol Lynley Kevin Hagen Douglas DickKasey Rogers

A tycoon checks himself into the Craig Institute to manipulate the stock of his company, but also actually is concealing a real illness.

S02E08 Tender Predator (Feb.14.1971) Karen Valentine Katherine Crawford Melissa Hart Kiel Martin Fred Holliday Jean InnessRobin Raymond Jennie Blackton

Budget cuts put Craig in the difficult position of deciding which valuable research programs will have to be dropped, including one that is necessary for determining the cause of a young woman's seizures and blackouts. What's more, the young doctor in charge of that program is falling in love with the girl.

S03E05 The Convicts (Nov.21.1971) Don Stroud Val Avery June Dayton Loretta Swit Rafael López Wally Taylor Kathryn Kelly Wiget Renata Vanni Jeff Donnell

Four convicts enter the institute as volunteers in an experiment to test immune suppression therapy for transplant patients. Due to their lowered immunity to infection, the men must be in total isolation for six months. But one of them takes advantage of the situation to plot his escape.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
The Bold Ones: The Lawyers (1969-1972) Stars Burl Ives Joseph Campanella James Farentino

Walter Nichols, an older and experienced lawyer, serves as a mentor to two attorney brothers. Brian is the more cerebral sibling, better at research. The younger Neil is impulsive and prone towards difficult cases.The three men combine their varied talents into creating a successful law firm.

The Sound of Anger (1968) Pilot #1 TV Movie Stars Burl Ives James Farentino Guy Stockwell Dorothy Provine Charles Aidman Jay C. Flippen Lynda Day George David Macklin Dana Elcar Collin Wilcox Paxton John Milford Shannon Farnon Nina Roman George Murdock Gene Dynarski Arch Whiting

A young man is arrested on suspicion of sabotaging the plane of his girlfriend's father, a wealthy man who despises him.

S01E04 The Rockford Riddle (Nov.16.1969) Stars Burl Ives Joseph Campanella James Farentino (credit only) Charles Aidman Claudine Longet Leslie Perkins George Murdock Charles Brewer Charles Lampkin Bart Burns Vince Howard Jerry Crews

Wife on trial for killing husband's mistress. Husband testifies he did it. After trial he recants; goes to jail - doesn't matter, the actress playing the wife is Claudette Longet who would killed her lover in real life. Must see episode!!

S01E05 Shriek of Silence (Nov.30.1969) Stars Burl Ives Joseph Campanella James Farentino Craig Stevens Richard Van Vleet Morgan Sterne George Murdock Walter Brooke Carol Booth Pamela McMyler Herbert Nelson Fred Holliday Ralph Manza Jo de Winter Rai Tasco James Bacon Vernon Scott Don 'Red' Barry

Nichols and the Darrells represent a gubernatorial candidate charged with the murder of a female campaign worker.

S01E06 Trial of a Mafioso (Jan.04.1970) Stars Burl Ives Joseph Campanella James Farentino Richard Conte Linda Marsh Frank Campanella Joe De Santis Paul Micale Pat Renella Len Wayland Bill Quinn Nick Benedict

Frank Delacy, former mafioso, turned informer, has been in prison for 15 years. Original attorney was discovered to have been drinking heavily throughout original trial. He believes Nichols and the Darrells can get him a new trial and acquitted. No one gives him much of a chance for staying alive, with 5 mafioso families waiting for revenge on the outside.

S02E03 Trial of a PFC (Nov.08.1970) Stars Burl Ives Joseph Campanella James Farentino Pete Duel Jane Elliot Walter Brooke James McCallion Fran Ryan Joseph V. Perry Len Wayland Herbert Nelson Jared Martin

Nichols agrees to defend a decorated Vietnam veteran, now living a counterculture lifestyle, who is charged with murdering a platoon mate whom he was lifelong friends with. But though he says he is innocent, he refuses to tell exactly what did happen or why.

S02E04 The People Against Dr Chapman (Dec.06.1970) Stars Burl Ives Joseph Campanella Monte Markham Ramon Bieri Ford Rainey Paul Comi Frank Maxwell Jon Lormer Arthur Space Ned Wertimer Claudia Bryar Meg Wyllie Dennis Fimple Karl Lukas Paul Trinka Don Melvoin Virginia Gregg

Brian defends a client who is accused of practicing medicine without a licenses when one of his patients dies even though he has military training as a Vietnam combat medic.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
John Cassavetes/Peter Falk/Ben Gazzara (Sep.21.1970) (Segment) Stars Dick Cavett Bobby Rosengarden John Cassavetes

Dick gets a hard time in this one and has gone on record to say it's one of his least favorite shows - you can see why!

Much as I love these guys and the film they’re promoting (Husbands), I did wish the episode had been better.

Picked up a grey market set 12 years ago and loved this series. Hadn’t thought about David Hartman as an actor in 30 years, was surprised at how much I enjoyed his performance in the series. Still need to pick up the Shout Factory release. A final note: getting older, as most of us are, and coming in contact with real life Doctors more frequently, I sure wish a lot of them were more like the ones on this show.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
S0301 The Invasion of Kevin Ireland (Sep.26.1971) Stars Burl Ives Joseph Campanella James Farentino Darren McGavin Kathie Browne Dana Elcar Pat Harrington Jr. Martin Ashe Clarke Gordon Todd Martin Judith Garwood Lyn Guild John S. Ragin

The firm defends Kevin Ireland, who admits trashing the office of a private background investigator whose reports, based on erroneous information, cost Ireland his employment and his marriage.

S03E02 The Strange Secret of Yermo Hill (Oct.17.1971) Stars Burl Ives Joseph Campanella James Farentino Edmund G. Brown Mills Watson Arlene Golonka Randolph Mantooth John Milford David Spielberg Jack Manning William D. Gordon Paul Gleason Anne Ramsey

A serviceman is found intoxicated in the apartment of a young woman who appears to have been strangled to death. The young man remembers nothing about how she died, but there appears to be no possible way for anyone else to have gotten out of the apartment. Brian locates an acquaintance of hers who brags that he can provide an answer, but refuses to tell him any more.

S03E06 Justice is a Sometimes Thing (Dec.12.1971) Stars Burl Ives Joseph Campanella James Farentino A Martinez Richard Jordan Robert Lipton Eunice Suarez Kermit Murdock Maxine Stuart Edith Diaz Ines Pedroza Francisco Ortega Fernando Escandon Morgan Jones Jared Martin

The team agrees to defend for free an innocent Latino youth who is being pressured to accept a plea deal but they must find his companion and like witness to the crime who is an undocumented girl who has fled back to Mexico.

S03E10 In Sudden Darkness (Jan.30.1972) Stars Burl Ives Joseph Campanella Carol Lawrence Sian Barbara Allen Tim O'Connor Frank Aletter John Milford David Spielberg Arthur Adams Daniel F. Martin Barry Higgins

Lauren Hazelwood claims she murdered her father but can not remember doing it. Nicholls and Darrell take the case.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Much as I love these guys and the film they’re promoting (Husbands), I did wish the episode had been better.

Picked up a grey market set 12 years ago and loved this series. Hadn’t thought about David Hartman as an actor in 30 years, was surprised at how much I enjoyed his performance in the series. Still need to pick up the Shout Factory release. A final note: getting older, as most of us are, and coming in contact with real life Doctors more frequently, I sure wish a lot of them were more like the ones on this show.
Yes I really loved Husbands (1970).

How about Ben Casey or Dr. Kildare as opposed to The New Doctors?

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
Probably the New Doctors. If I was seeing Ben Casey my condition would probably be pretty serious. Plus the New Doctors are in it together with their boss, whereas Casey seems to always be fighting higher ups who don’t want him to try some risky procedure. Seems like there are also more cute girls hanging around the premises of the Craig institute.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Probably the New Doctors. If I was seeing Ben Casey my condition would probably be pretty serious. Plus the New Doctors are in it together with their boss, whereas Casey seems to always be fighting higher ups who don’t want him to try some risky procedure. Seems like there are also more cute girls hanging around the premises of the Craig institute.
I don't know Alan, there's some pretty serious Babe-o-meters on Casey & Kildare even though they aren't in color.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I don't know Alan, there's some pretty serious Babe-o-meters on Casey & Kildare even though they aren't in color.

I’m only 5 episodes in to Casey. Looking forward to them.
Yes, Neal and Alan, there are many very pretty nurses on both Dr. Kildare and Ben Casey...as someone who has loved a few nurses in my life, I recommend them highly...I always thought the old fashioned nurses' cap was very cute, and I regretted their passing into history...

At Dr. Kildare's Blair General Hospital, you might find Linda Evans and Judy Carne at your bedside...scary old Ed Begley eagerly awaits his bath time...
A kim darby 12.JPG

A kim darby 13.JPG

Ben Casey had some fine looking nurses also...Robert Blake thinks so too...
Ben Casey 32.JPG

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Yes, Neal and Alan, there are many very pretty nurses on both Dr. Kildare and Ben Casey...as someone who has loved a few nurses in my life, I recommend them highly...I always thought the old fashioned nurses' cap was very cute, and I regretted their passing into history...

At Dr. Kildare's Blair General Hospital, you might find Linda Evans and Judy Carne at your bedside...scary old Ed Begley eagerly awaits his bath time...
View attachment 116449
View attachment 116450

Ben Casey had some fine looking nurses also...Robert Blake thinks so too...
View attachment 116451
As I was making that comment I was thinking of the caps you recently posted of Yvette Mimieux. Those really knocked me out so I grabbed a box of Kleenex and watched - Tyger, Tyger: Part 1 (1964) and Tyger, Tyger: Part 2 (1964) and had a good cry and arousal.
icon_e_cry.gif
icon_e_teehehe.gif

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
The Nurses premiere episode, Night Shift (September 27, 1962) This Herbert Brodkin/ Reginald Rose NYC filmed sister series to their better known The Defenders. Produced by Plautus at Filmways in Harlem, and I believe, Lennox Hill Hospital. It ran 98 episodes in prime time, also on CBS over three seasons, 1962-1965. In fall 1964, it was (regrettably) retooled as The Doctors and the Nurses, although elevating the excellent Joseph Campanella and Michael Tolan to co-stars, it was a sexist backhand to Shirl Conway and Zina Bethune. Series regular Shirl Conway won a 1963 Emmy for her work on this series. Zina Bethune, her teenage co-star, also proved to be a seasoned actress at only 17!

Complete and from a first generation video transfer from a nearly perfect 16mm film!
Guest starring Joey Heatherton (still a teenager herself), Viveca Lindfors, Arthur Hill, Ruth McDevitt, Kermit Murdock...

And of course your superb find from July 10th with the gorgeous Zina Bethune and Joey Heatherton from the premiere episode of The Nurses. It appears that the YouTube channel has been terminated and/or the video was removed.

The Doctors and the Nurses aka The Nurses (1962-1965) Stars Shirl Conway Zina Bethune Michael Tolan Joseph Campanella Hilda Simms Judson Laire Dana Elcar Stephen Brooks J.D. Cannon Peg Murray Kermit Murdock Diana Sands John Beal Joe Silver Polly Rowles Lee GrantLee Grant Barbara Harris Joey Heatherton

The story takes place in a large hospital and revolves around two nurses, Liz Thorpe (Shirl Conway), the older head nurse, and Gail Lucas, the naive student nurse. The two nurses were joined by doctors in 1964 and these doctors tried to help the nurses resolve moral and ethical problems.

S01E01 Night Shift (Sep.27.1962) Stars Shirl Conway Zina Bethune Viveca Lindfors Ruth McDevitt Arthur Hill Morgan Sterne Joey Heatherton Hilda Simms Elisabeth Fraser Sybil White Diana Sands Adam Kennedy Kermit Murdock John Gibson Dick O'Neill Barbara Mattes Julie Hirsh Ben Yaffee Kay Hawtrey Ed Wagner

At New York's Alden hospital maternity ward, a group of student nurses take on their first duties. The focus is on head nurse Liz Thorpe and student Gail Lucas, and several patients including a young wife that hates her unborn baby, a first time mother determined to have a medication-free birth, and a sickly Greek immigrant with a problem pregnancy.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise

Perhaps the most-seen episode of this series is the Ironside crossover since the The New Doctors episode was syndicated along with the series* (with an extended opening theme which includes more of the complete Quincy Jones track**). Vic Morrow guest-starred as another doctor. Is the Ironside episode included on the DVD?

*The George Kennedy as Sarge crossover however was not included in the syndication package. I've only seen it syndicated as a separate TV movie, probably in a package of Universal TV movies. That makes three Ironside movies not shown with the series: The beginning ("Ironside"), the middle (among the group of episodes without Barbara Anderson or Elizabeth Baur, "The Priest Killer") and the end ("The Return of Ironside").

**The complete Ironside theme can be heard in the background of the fifth-season episode "Unreasonable Facsimile."

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
A special photo essay of The Nurses S01E01 Night Shift (Sep.27.1962) dedicated to Randall, the man who created a screen cap monster!!
Thanks Neal! Glad to hear that premiere episode (complete from 16mm, and in quite fine shape!) of The Nurses is still available to view on Youtube, although as you say maybe carried on another 'channel' there. I wish we could see many more episodes of that series, and it's predecessor and companion show The Defenders...a couple of great NYC filmed dramas of the early to mid sixties...
As I was making that comment I was thinking of the caps you recently posted of Yvette Mimieux. Those really knocked me out so I grabbed a box of Kleenex and watched - Tyger, Tyger: Part 1 (1964) and Tyger, Tyger: Part 2 (1964) and had a good cry and arousal. View attachment 116454 View attachment 116455
Ha, ha, here she is again by special request (or perhaps only in my head), the lovely Yvette Mimieux in Dr. Kildare season three, Tyger, Tyger parts one and two...my screen caps from the WAC DVD sets...
Dr. Kildare 7.JPG

Dr. Kildare 42.JPG

Dr. Kildare 44.JPG

Dr. Kildare 46.JPG

Dr. Kildare 65.JPG

Dr. Kildare 74.JPG

Dr. Kildare 78.JPG

Dr. Kildare 91.JPG

Dr. Kildare 105.JPG

Dr. Kildare 108.JPG

Dr. Kildare 109.JPG

Dr. Kildare 112.JPG

Dr. Kildare 114.JPG

I hope she's doing well, she's 79 now! Still a dream girl in my movie and TV collection...

Forgive the detour, now back to obscure TV shows...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks