What's new

Obscure Classic TV Shows - Post Your Favorites! (2 Viewers)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Ford Television Theatre (1952-1957) Stars Philip Carey Laraine Day Willis Bouchey

This show started in New York City, with Broadway actors and actresses. It then moved to Hollywood, California, where Hollywood actors and actresses headed the cast.

S02E20 For the Love of Kitty (Feb.11.1954) Unsold Pilot Stars Nancy Olson Bruce Bennett Robert Strauss Edward Brophy Joe Sawyer Joe Sawyer Laurie Mitchell Archer MacDonald Bobby Johnson

Kitty O'Dare, a pretty lady horse-race handicapper, has a streak of luck picking winners. Frustrated, the local bookies decide the only way to stop her from betting is to get her married. Damon Runyon Theatre Unsold Pilot.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Good Guys (1968-1970) Pilot Stars Bob Denver Herb Edelman Joyce Van Patten

Bert Gramus and Rufus Butterworth were childhood chums who decided to pool their savings and purchase a diner, which they called "Bert's Place". Originally bachelor Rufus worked as a cabdriver, while Bert and his wife Claudia operated the diner, but Rufus eventually quit his cabbie gig. Hal, Andy & Big Tom were some of their regular customers.

S01E01 Keep The Home Fires Burning (Sep.25.1968) Ed Deemer Lou Frizzell Herb Voland

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Fabulous Oliver Chantry (1953) Pilot #1 Stars Jerry Desmonde Melville Cooper Beverly Garland Charles Halton Franz Roehn Isabel Withers Phil Tead Frank Arnold Helen Argenbright Jerry Hausner Norman Leavitt Robert B. Williams

First of two pilots for a proposed series. Featuring a young and lovely Beverly Garland. A newspaper columnist, critic and novelist suddenly becomes caretaker to an infant boy left by his parents who are being deported for what turns out to be a silly miscommunication of the English language. Live kinescope recording. "Oliver Chantry Theme" by David Raksin.

Studio 57 (1954-1958) S04E20 Fabulous Oliver Chantry (Apr.01.1958) Pilot #2 Stars George Sanders Doris Singleton Steven Geray Ellen CorbyDoug McClure

Second of two pilots for a proposed series. Filmed at Hal Roach Studios. Aired on Studio 57 as an unsold pilot.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Dad's Army (1968-1977) Stars Arthur Lowe John Le Mesurier Clive Dunn

A ragtag group of Home Guard volunteers prepare for an imminent German invasion during World War II.

S01E01 Dads Army The Man And The Hour (Jul.31.1968)

After Dunkirk, coastal town Walmington-on-Sea's banker, Rotarian, and alderman George Mainwaring, a commissioned 'veteran' without actual war experience, appoints himself commander of the local defense committee, with his bank staff, chief clerk Arthur Wilson and junior Frank Pike. They enroll town volunteers for the Local Defence Force, although mostly unfit and/or over the 55 age limit and almost no military supplies are available.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Brave Eagle (1955-1956) Stars Keith Larsen Anthony Numkena

Reflecting the Native American viewpoint in the settlement of the American West, This was the first series where an American Indian was the lead character.

S01E06 Moonfire (Nov.02.1955) Stars Bert Wheeler Kim Winona Cynthia Chenault Pierre Watkin Dean Cromer Sun Bear Bill Catching Steve Raines Wally West Pat Hogan

A stubborn young white girl who is staying at Brave Eagle's village refuses to leave with her uncle, a cavalry officer. The uncle believes she is being held against her will and determines to "rescue" her. In order to avert a war, Brave Eagle must resolve the situation

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Tom Keene, U.S. Marshal "The Showdown" (1952) Pilot

This lost pilot was produced in 1952 and shown on June 9, 1957 on NBC's "Cowboy Theatre". Stars Tom Keene and Frank Yaconelli. Original story by Ed Wood and Tom Keene; teleplay by, of all people, John Michael Hayes. So "lost" I could not locate anything about it!

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Oh yes, great cheesecake here Marv. It appears quite a few tv series of that era tried their best to capitalize on the success of Sea Hunt.

View attachment 111172 Neal did tell you about the history of Climax.

Lassie but with a train instead of a dog. Good one Marv! :) This simple-minded series runs every weekend on the Sony owned getTV retro channel with nice remastered uncut episodes in a 45-minute time slot with 9 minute long commercial breaks! I enjoy it because I too am simple-minded! It originally aired in syndication in the 60's or 70's (who remembers?) on WPIX New York. That's where I recall the theme song from.
Sorry I missed the Climax history. My bad.:blush:

Well of course you loved Casey Jones because if you didn't - it would be like not loving Lassie and that... that... is un(fill in country of your choice in keeping with our inclusive nature here in obscure TV)

I held back Adventures in Paradise a bit - I have to be careful with Jeff - he has a cheesecake condition!;)

I'd take a shot at my buddy Russ, but I don't see much from him in here.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Neal just posted a pilot with Beverly Garland. Here is a series (a short one). Yes Bing had a sit-com and Beverly was his wife (not bad work if you can get it).

The Bing Crosby Show - 1964-65

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
The music quiz posts seemed to be popular. This is an identify the 60's series game. Give it a try for fun. First prize is bragging rights so post your results. I, of course, got one more point than whatever Neal got.:rolling-smiley:

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Maya (1967-68), starring Jay North and Sajid Khan, filmed entirely on location in India (it was a spinoff of a 1966 movie of the same name which starred Clint Walker; Walker does not appear in the TV series). The show, which only ran for 18 episodes against stiff competition before being cancelled, was created by the great TV scribe Stirling Silliphant (of Route 66 and Naked City fame), who also wrote three episodes, including the first one. The "Maya" of the title is the boys' elephant pal, who helps them out of many scrapes and adventures, including stomping the hell out of a rogue tiger at the end of episode 1. The complete series is available on DVD from Warner Archive.

(Note: the YouTube copies of the following episodes seem to have an audio sync issue).

Episode 1, "Blood of the Tiger"

Episode 4, "The Caper of the Golden Roe"

Episode 15, "The Treasure Temple" (with Michael Pate)

Here's a clip from the WAC DVD of the 1966 film:

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Here's one I wish would get released on DVD at some point: Cowboy in Africa (1967-68). Like Daktari, it was an Ivan Tors production, which ran for 26 episodes, starring Chuck Connors, Tom Nardini and Ronald Howard. I remember seeing the film version (Africa: Texas Style (1967), starring Hugh O'Brien) as a kid and loving it. Have never seen the series. No complete episodes available (at least, not in English), sorry...only this clip:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Dick Clark's American Bandstand was a mega hit. Here is his attempt at a music variety show Spin off.

Where the Action Is 1965-67

Awesome Marv, frozen cheesecake, zero visibility! :)
Neal just posted a pilot with Beverly Garland. Here is a series (a short one). Yes Bing had a sit-com and Beverly was his wife (not bad work if you can get it).

The Bing Crosby Show - 1964-65

I posted this one previously, but who's counting, and what were they thinking casting Bing and Beverly together!
icon_e_argh.gif

Maya (1967-68), starring Jay North and Sajid Khan, filmed entirely on location in India (it was a spinoff of a 1966 movie of the same name which starred Clint Walker; Walker does not appear in the TV series). The show, which only ran for 18 episodes against stiff competition before being cancelled, was created by the great TV scribe Stirling Silliphant (of Route 66 and Naked City fame), who also wrote three episodes, including the first one. The "Maya" of the title is the boys' elephant pal, who helps them out of many scrapes and adventures, including stomping the hell out of a rogue tiger at the end of episode 1. The complete series is available on DVD from Warner Archive.

(Note: the YouTube copies of the following episodes seem to have an audio sync issue).

Episode 1, "Blood of the Tiger"

Episode 4, "The Caper of the Golden Roe"

Here's a clip from the WAC DVD of the 1966 film:

Here's one I wish would get released on DVD at some point: Cowboy in Africa (1967-68). Like Daktari, it was an Ivan Tors production, which ran for 26 episodes, starring Chuck Connors, Tom Nardini and Ronald Howard. I remember seeing the film version (Africa: Texas Style (1967), starring Hugh O'Brien) as a kid and loving it. Have never seen the series. No complete episodes available (at least, not in English), sorry...only this clip:

Thanks for posting both of these obscure entries Jeff. I think a single episode of Cowboy In Africa aired on the Decades Network. Dennis The Menace in India, what more could anyone want! Really good quality on both which is great to see! Get 'em before they're yanked!

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Awesome Marv, frozen cheesecake, zero visibility! :)

I posted this one previously, but who's counting, and what were they thinking casting Bing and Beverly together! View attachment 111208
I can't even remember what I posted. :oops:

Besides you can't have too much of Beverly Garland.
Here's a Stump the Stars with Beverly ( I can't remember if we posted this one yet)

And stay tuned for tomorrow - It's a Saturday Morning Special

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I can't even remember what I posted. :oops:

Besides you can't have too much of Beverly Garland.
Here's a Stump the Stars with Beverly ( I can't remember if we posted this one yet)

And stay tuned for tomorrow - It's a Saturday Morning Special

Yeah you did! Wait, no you didn't. Yeah you did! No you didn't. :emoji_older_man: :emoji_nerd: That's you and me.
icon_e_teehehe.gif

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I'm Trying To Find Myself
Have you seen me anywhere today?

All I know is a bunch of us have posted some great TV and wonderful memories and we ain't done yet.
:banana:

Anyone not following this thread is missing some good stuff.

28.FINISH_4_2000x.png

I know a guy that fell in a vat of this. It was a terrible death but a great finish.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
We have Jay North above so why not down here with his very first series?

Dennis The Menace (1959-1963) Stars Herbert Anderson Jay North Gloria Henry Joseph Kearns Billy Booth Sylvia Field Gale Gordon

An American sitcom based on the Hank Ketcham comic strip Dennis the Menace. It preceded The Ed Sullivan Show on Sunday evenings on CBS from October 1959 to July 1963. The series stars Jay North as Dennis Mitchell; Herbert Anderson as his father, Henry; Gloria Henry as his mother, Alice; Joseph Kearns as George Wilson; Gale Gordon as George's brother, John Wilson; Sylvia Field as George's wife, Martha Wilson; and Sara Seegar as John's wife, Eloise Wilson. (From Wikipedia) Joseph Kearns as George Wilson (Mr. Wilson) was brilliant and the best part of this series. When he passed away in 1962 the show became just about unwatchable.

S01E01 Dennis Goes To The Movies (Oct.04.1959) Stars Herbert Anderson Jay North Gloria Henry Joseph Kearns

Dennis sneaks out on his sitter to go to the movies where his parents are and causes trouble at the theater.

…. And look who’s singing!? Yes, another actor turned singer who couldn’t sing.

There really should be a thread devoted to these dreadful clips. Too funny!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks