What's new

Obscure Classic TV Shows - Post Your Favorites! (1 Viewer)

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
Well - I'm sitting here bored. We have everything ready to go and no plans because we are leaving early tomorrow so maybe just a couple more. :drum:

I'll call these two "do you believe"

The first has some fame now so maybe you have already heard of it

My Mother the Car - 1965-66

They took a lot of heat on this one but is it any crazier than a genie in bottle or 7 castaways that can make a radio out of coconuts?

This one is a little more obscure and I had never seen it until a few days ago. ( I don't feel like I've missed much )

The Hathaways 1961-62

I tried both of these a few years ago. My Mother The Car seemed better than its reputation, maybe because Bill Daily was in the episode I watched and I always like him. Didn’t think much of the Hathaways but I’ll watch this episode soon, looks to be better quality than the one I saw.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I tried both of these a few years ago. My Mother The Car seemed better than its reputation, maybe because Bill Daily was in the episode I watched and I always like him. Didn’t think much of the Hathaways but I’ll watch this episode soon, looks to be better quality than the one I saw.
I'm sad to say I saw the My Mother the Car premier on TV. Never watched the second one. I didn't think it was all that bad - just not my cup of tea. I confess I did watch a lot of Jeannie but it had little to do with the scripts.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I'm going to be gone for the next 2-3 weeks. I'll be very limited in both computer power and wifi so no posting. I still have a list of over 50 programs I want to post and I will get back to them but for now I thought I would do my last day before my hiatus with just stuff that is just fun.
You be careful out there Marv! We'll be here waiting for those other 50 programs, as Youtube is most affordable compared to much of my other viewings on disc. This thread is great for informing us vintage TV fans about what may be available for viewing on Youtube, Archive.org, Dailymotion or Uncle Earl's Classic TV!

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
You be careful out there Marv! We'll be here waiting for those other 50 programs, as Youtube is most affordable compared to much of my other viewings on disc. This thread is great for informing us vintage TV fans about what may be available for viewing on Youtube, Archive.org, Dailymotion or Uncle Earl's Classic TV!
Thanks Randall. This thread was Neal's idea but I've had a lot of fun with it. Almost every night we tuck into bed and watch something before the news comes on. I have a thumb drive full of vintage stuff and because the bedroom tv is smaller it works well. The shows usually are also calming if we've watched an action type movie right before.
I love re-visiting a lot of these old shows and sometimes reliving my misspent youth.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Well - I'm sitting here bored. We have everything ready to go and no plans because we are leaving early tomorrow so maybe just a couple more. :drum:

They took a lot of heat on this one but is it any crazier than a genie in bottle or 7 castaways that can make a radio out of coconuts?

This one is a little more obscure and I had never seen it until a few days ago. ( I don't feel like I've missed much )

The Hathaways 1961-62

Re: My Mother The Car, it was terrible but I can watch Maggie Pierce all day long! :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

Yes, I've heard of it... I watched it some (more bits and pieces during commercial breaks of other shows) during the original airings but it had the misfortune to air opposite both Daktari in its premier season (and my sister insisted we watch this one) *and* Combat (one I'd try to watch if she happened to be out).

So... when the DVDs came out I jumped on them. I was surprised to find a show that's not nearly as "bad" as it's made out to be. It's not that much different than any other 60s fantasy sit-com (like the ones you cite and many others). I really think it was the reincarnation angle that sunk it.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Good one John!! Never heard of it until this moment. Here's a couple.

False Face S01E07 May 26, 1961

This was a very memorable show (well, episode) for me. It haunted me for decades. I'm not sure how I would have managed to see it when it was first broadcast -- I would've been 7½ at the time -- but it might've been that my parents let me stay up late that night and I happened to see it. Then again, it may have been syndicated, though I don't think so.

At any rate, while I remembered the episode, I couldn't recall what series it was on. None of the top (obvious) ones -- Twilight Zone, Thriller, et alia -- had any episodes that matched the storyline.

In the 90s, while helping with some data and proofreading for Alan Morton for his book, The Complete Directory to Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Television Series: A Comprehensive Guide to the First 50 Years, 1946 to 1996, I was thrilled to discover. what show it was.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

The short-lived WWII series Blue Light (1966).
starring​
Robert Goulet​

The series has never been released on DVD, but there was a "fix-up" movie of the first four episodes that was released on DVD as part of Fox's War Classics imprint.

Attachments

• I Deal In Danger (1966).png
    I Deal In Danger (1966).png
    298.5 KB · Views: 52

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Speaking of the Burns & Allen Show--this probably falls more under the category of "old" rather than "obscure"--but you pretty much have to be of advanced age to remember this show airing in 1950. Radio stars George Burns and Gracie Allen barely made it into the era of television--although to be fair, it was Gracie who just squeaked in since hubby George lived to be 215 and was able to star in some fairly current movies as well.

View attachment 103972

The Burns & Allen schtick was pure vaudeville:
Gracie: "George, I'll be right back..."
George: "Where are you going?"
Gracie: "I just remembered I left the stove in the kitchen."
Gracie Allen practically invented the dumb blonde routine--without being nearly as clueless as portrayed. Her crazy responses to George's straight lines almost seemed to make sense.

The staging of the show was pure 1950's with action taking place on two or three static stage sets modeled after the couple's Beverly Hills home. The series began its shark jump in 1955 when it pushed to feature son Ronnie in a futile attempt to turn him into a Ricky Nelson-type idol. It didn't work--but more importantly, it sucked too much time away from the more established interplay between George and Gracie.

I remember seeing George Burns on the Tonight Show. Johnny Carson, never one to be too awed by any of his guests, would sparkle like a little kid when George, Jack Benny or Bob Hope would appear on the show. Age and longevity of career demand profundity of respect.

"Happiness is a good cigar, a good meal and a good woman. Or a bad woman--it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
--George Burns

Unless I'm mistaken, The Burns and Allen Show was the first show to do the "breaking-the-fourth-wall" schtick, at least on a regular basis. Not just with George talking directly to the audience, but with bits like him wanting to see what Gracie was up to, so he turns on his TV and watches her doing whatever she's doing in the kitchen right then and there.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The New People

This series always intrigued me. Because of its odd length, it didn't get syndicated. It's probably horribly dated and it may just be simply horrible, but I'd love to see it released.

I guess it's not a "Favorite" show since I've never seen it, but usually, if I've seen it...it's not that obscure. :lol:

Wow, dig it man!! Bizarre, the theme sounds like The Mamas & The Papas doing 'Hair'!

I remember The New People, though I only saw a few episodes at the time. The fact that it was in a 45-minute time slot (back to back with a 45-minute rock music program; Hullabaloo or Where the Action Is or something along those lines) was probably its most notable feature. It was also created by Rod Serling, though he was credited for the pilot under a pseudonym, as he didn't care for the result.

As for the music, it was written by Earl Hagen, best known for for the hit "Harlem Nocturne", used as the theme music for the Stacey Keach version of Mike Hammer, though he'd done music for a lot of vintage TV shows. The song was sung by The First Edition, a band that was fronted by Kenny Rogers. Their biggest hit was "Just Dropped In (to See What Condition My Condition Was In)", made famous decades later by the movie The Big Lebowski.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Been trying to catch up on three weeks worth of postings (Real Life has a habit of getting in the way of things). I maybe have missed mentions of the following.

Arrest and Trial (1963), a show that I think of every time something from the Law & Order franchise rears its head. It had the same structure, with the first half dealing with the police investigation of a crime, and the second half with the prosecution in court. Arrest and Trial had it a bit easier, though, as it ran in a 90-minute time slot.

One of my favorite obscurities was Insight, a syndicated anthology series that aired for decades, usually on Sunday mornings as part of the participating stations' "public service" requirements. It was produced by Father Ellwood Kieser of the Paulist Fathers, and had a religious bent. It didn't really proselytize so much as present stories that dealt with moral quandries. Father Kieser apparently had a way of arm-twisting Highly Notable actors, writers, and directors to do episodes. There is a boatload of episodes posted (officially) on YouTube. I think it was in the thread about The Defenders, in pointing out some episodes on YouTube that I mentioned this show, and specifically linked to one that starred Walter Matthau, Carol Burnett, and Ed Asner as, respectively, Adam, Eve, and God. I think the actors that showed up the most were Martin Sheen and Patty Duke (Astin).

Some obscure series that are a little more recent (the 1990s) that I enjoyed...

(1) Under Cover (1991). A spy/action series about a trio of senior CIA agents (Anthony Denison, Linda Purl, and John Rhys Davies) training a couple of newbies (John Slattery and Kasi Lemmons). Their first mission was in Kuwait just before the invasion by Iran. Real Life intervened, a war started, and the show was pulled from the air after the first post-pilot episode aired (which was part one of a two-parter). A few episodes eventually made it to air, but there were a half-dozen that that remained unaired.

(2) Under Suspicion (1994). A police drama starring Karen Sillas, that was, for good and ill, portrayed as an American copy of Prime Suspect.

(3) Byrds of Paradise (1994). A very strange bird indeed. Produced by Steve Bochco, starring Timothy Busfield, Jennifer Love Hewitt, and Bruce Weitz. Busfield and his kids (Hewitt and Seth Green) relocate to Hawaii after the death of their wife/mother. Arlo Guthrie had a recurring role as an old hippy (quite a stretch) and did a few songs in one or more episodes. But what really stood out was the cinematography. Absolutely gorgeous!

(4) Remember WENN (1996). It was the first original series ever produced for AMC, which for some reason they want to erase from history. A dramedy set at a radio station during the 1940s. It was created by Rupert Holmes and (I think) produced in New York City, both points responsible for a number of theater people guest-starring in it.

Speaking of early cable network original series, there's also Philip Marlowe, Private Eye (1983), which is one of HBO's earliest original series. Powers Boothe did an amazing job as Raymond Chandler's detective.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
This was a very memorable show (well, episode) for me. It haunted me for decades. I'm not sure how I would have managed to see it when it was first broadcast -- I would've been 7½ at the time -- but it might've been that my parents let me stay up late that night and I happened to see it. Then again, it may have been syndicated, though I don't think so.

At any rate, while I remembered the episode, I couldn't recall what series it was on. None of the top (obvious) ones -- Twilight Zone, Thriller, et alia -- had any episodes that matched the storyline.

In the 90s, while helping with some data and proofreading for Alan Morton for his book, The Complete Directory to Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Television Series: A Comprehensive Guide to the First 50 Years, 1946 to 1996, I was thrilled to discover. what show it was.
That's a good story. I had forgotten I posted those after John suggested it. It's a fascinating series. I'll post some others soon. Thanks Jerry!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Probably best known for the episode "The Bounty Hunter" with Steve McQueen, which served as a pilot for Wanted--Dead or Alive.
Trackdown (1957-1959) resurfaced first on Decades and then MeTV. Currently it is not on their schedule. There have been quite a few series remastered by Weigel Broadcasting Co. which have not been released to physical media. Trackdown is yet another.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I remember The New People, though I only saw a few episodes at the time. The fact that it was in a 45-minute time slot (back to back with a 45-minute rock music program; Hullabaloo or Where the Action Is or something along those lines) was probably its most notable feature. It was also created by Rod Serling, though he was credited for the pilot under a pseudonym, as he didn't care for the result.

As for the music, it was written by Earl Hagen, best known for for the hit "Harlem Nocturne", used as the theme music for the Stacey Keach version of Mike Hammer, though he'd done music for a lot of vintage TV shows. The song was sung by The First Edition, a band that was fronted by Kenny Rogers. Their biggest hit was "Just Dropped In (to See What Condition My Condition Was In)", made famous decades later by the movie The Big Lebowski.
More great stuff! You know Jerry with Marv gone on vacation for a few weeks I (we) could certainly use the help of a tv historian like yourself. When most of these shows first aired the only thing I was doing was burping and saying things like ga-ga and goo-goo.
icon_e_teehehe.gif

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Been trying to catch up on three weeks worth of postings (Real Life has a habit of getting in the way of things). I maybe have missed mentions of the following.

One of my favorite obscurities was Insight, a syndicated anthology series that aired for decades, usually on Sunday mornings as part of the participating stations' "public service" requirements. It was produced by Father Ellwood Kieser of the Paulist Fathers, and had a religious bent. It didn't really proselytize so much as present stories that dealt with moral quandries. Father Kieser apparently had a way of arm-twisting Highly Notable actors, writers, and directors to do episodes. There is a boatload of episodes posted (officially) on YouTube. I think it was in the thread about The Defenders, in pointing out some episodes on YouTube that I mentioned this show, and specifically linked to one that starred Walter Matthau, Carol Burnett, and Ed Asner as, respectively, Adam, Eve, and God. I think the actors that showed up the most were Martin Sheen and Patty Duke (Astin).
Jerry I only sliced out the rest of your comments as I wanted to address Insight specifically which I had downloaded back in September of last year and completely forgot. I just spent about 4 hours researching the show and the hundreds of episodes on YouTube. Thanks for the reminder!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Insight (1960-1984)

From YouTube Channel Insight powered by Paulist Productions
Insight is an American religious-themed weekly anthology series that aired in syndication from October 1960 to 1983. Produced by Paulist Productions in Los Angeles, the series presented half-hour dramas illuminating the contemporary search for meaning, freedom, and love. Insight was an anthology series, using an eclectic set of story telling forms including comedy, melodrama, and fantasy to explore moral dilemmas. The series was created by Fr. Ellwood E. "Bud" Kieser, the founder of Paulist Productions. The anthology format and the religious nature of the program attracted a wide variety of actors, including Ed Asner, Jack Albertson, Beau Bridges, Carol Burnett, Ron Howard, Cindy Williams, Patty Duke, Ann Jillian, Cicely Tyson, James Doohan, Jack Klugman, Walter Matthau, Bob Newhart, Bill Bixby, John Ritter, Mark Hamill, Laura Dern, Barbara Hersey, Flip Wilson, and Martin Sheen. The series ran for 24 years! However, the Episode List at IMDb states only Season One containing a mighty 832 episodes! Check out the FULL list of Stars!

There are hundreds of episodes from all decades at the YouTube Channel listed above. I have chosen the following episodes. Only the earliest 1960’s episodes are of inferior quality. (Note: There are discrepancies regarding airdates between IMDb and YouTube.)

S01E102 The Perennial Problem (1961) Stars Pat McGeehan Darryl Hickman Ellwood Kieser

S01E127 The Sophomore (Oct.13.1963) Stars Ellwood Kieser James MacArthur James Westerfield Marlo Thomas William Schallert

S01E137 The Boy and the Bomb (1963) Stars Ellwood Kieser John Forsythe Jeanne Crain Jerry Mathers

S01E146 Prometheus Bound, Show (1964) Stars Ellwood Kieser Peter Mark Richman Vera Miles

S01E322 Bourbon in Suburbia (Jan.03.1965) Stars Anne Francis Marie Windsor Fred Beir

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks