What's new

Obscure Classic TV Shows - Post Your Favorites! (1 Viewer)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

This was a variety show, hosted by Jack Paar, that had live and filmed interviews with famous people; comedy and musical acts; and home movies of trips Paar took with his wife Miriam and his teenage daughter Randy.

S02E09 Episode #2.9 (Nov.29.1963)
Stars Jack Paar Muhammad Ali Milt Kamen Liberace Jim G. Lucas Mary McCarthy Jose Melis

Liberace - "The Candelabra Kid" vs. Mohammed Ali - then Cassius Clay - as "The Punching Poet" square off w/Jack Paar as referee of "The Battle of the Century!" They sparred w/music, lyrics and poetry! Was originally scheduled for Friday November 22nd, 1963 but was preempted by the tragic assassination of JFK in Dallas. The videotaped program was aired the following week.​

Rona Barrett says the most famous movie star of the moment is...Linda Lovelace. Also, note that Clement Freud seems quite upset that "private" information about celebrities is now fair game for gossip. It turns out he had a reason to worry: After he passed away, there were several credible allegations that he was a child sex predator. r. jeffsabu

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

The misadventures of a single adopted father raising a teenage niece with the help of his manservant.

S02E12 Bentley Versus the Girl Scouts (Sep.29.1957)
Stars John Forsythe Noreen Corcoran Sammee Tong Diane Brewster Bernadette Withers June Blair Cecile Rogers

Uncle Bentley tries to woo his niece Kelly's Pathfinder leader.​

Uncle Bentley unwillingly becomes involved with directing two plays: one featuring Kelly and the other featuring Peter.​

Uncle Bentley meddles in Kelly's high school graduation day and future college plans.​

Peter's neice stays with the Gregg's while her mother is entertaining overseas, but refuses to play with other children or go to school.​

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen

The misadventures of a single adopted father raising a teenage niece with the help of his manservant.

S02E12 Bentley Versus the Girl Scouts (Sep.29.1957)
Stars John Forsythe Noreen Corcoran Sammee Tong Diane Brewster Bernadette Withers June Blair Cecile Rogers

Uncle Bentley tries to woo his niece Kelly's Pathfinder leader.​

Uncle Bentley unwillingly becomes involved with directing two plays: one featuring Kelly and the other featuring Peter.​

Uncle Bentley meddles in Kelly's high school graduation day and future college plans.​

Peter's neice stays with the Gregg's while her mother is entertaining overseas, but refuses to play with other children or go to school.​

Huh, I had no idea John Forsythe did comedy as well. I wonder if any rival networks put out a "Single Mother" show.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Widowed Patricia Marshall is a successful attorney who welcomes her newly graduated son Paul into her law firm. She uses her chauffeur Morton as a sounding board and occasionally dates the eligible Richie Wells.

S01E05 Rich man, Poor Man (Oct.10.1966)
Stars Jean Arthur Ron Harper Ray Bolger Leonard Stone Edward Faulkner Robert Foulk Jeff Scott Aline Towne Jack Donner John J. Fox Johnny Aladdin

A failed suitor of Jean's from way back has struck it rich and is back to once again try his luck with Jean.​

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Neal,

I had 2 occasions where I met Jack Paar.
I had an after (high) school job working at a Texaco station in New Canaan, Ct.
Fellow resident Jack Paar used to stop in regularly, for gas in his bright yellow Citroen. I found him to be friendly and easy to talk to.
About 8 years later I had a job with ADT security selling/updating security systems. One of my customers was none other than Jack Paar.
I was so surprised he remembered me all those years later.

John

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Neal,

I had 2 occasions where I met Jack Paar.
I had an after (high) school job working at a Texaco station in New Canaan, Ct.
Fellow resident Jack Paar used to stop in regularly, for gas in his bright yellow Citroen. I found him to be friendly and easy to talk to.
About 8 years later I had a job with ADT security selling/updating security systems. One of my customers was none other than Jack Paar.
I was so surprised he remembered me all those years later.

John
Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories with us.

The Jack Paar post was specifically made with you in mind!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Merv Griffin invites a series of actors, actresses, writers, and directors to discuss the progressive work they have done and current culture, arts, and entertainment surrounding the numerous projects.

S01E09 (Oct.16.1962)
Stars Jerry Lewis Richard Pryor Charlie Callas Dagmar

This compilation episode features guests Jerry Lewis, Richard Pryor, Charlie Callas, and Dagmar.​

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan

Merv Griffin invites a series of actors, actresses, writers, and directors to discuss the progressive work they have done and current culture, arts, and entertainment surrounding the numerous projects.

S01E09 (Oct.16.1962)
Stars Jerry Lewis Richard Pryor Charlie Callas Dagmar

This compilation episode features guests Jerry Lewis, Richard Pryor, Charlie Callas, and Dagmar.​

For as much as people used to poke fun at ol’ Merv, I’d take him, Mike Douglas, and for that matter Dinah Shore, John Davidson, Gary Collins, etc, over the one trick pony hosts we have now. Talk show hosts and game show emcees have sure gone downhill.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
For as much as people used to poke fun at ol’ Merv, I’d take him, Mike Douglas, and for that matter Dinah Shore, John Davidson, Gary Collins, etc, over the one trick pony hosts we have now. Talk show hosts and game show emcees have sure gone downhill.
Some made fun of him but he did have a 3 million seller hit record "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts" and he was the creator of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy (Including writing the Jeopardy theme song).
I agree.
Cheers

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

An hour variety program which aired on NBC television late afternoons Monday thru Friday with host Kate Smith. It ran from September 25, 1950 to June 18, 1954.

October 24, 1951
Stars Jackie Gleason

Kate Smith starred in two concurrent television programs in the early 1950s The Kate Smith Hour on NBC Television from 1950 through 1954, hosting until 1953 in the late afternoon hour of 4:00 pm ET. James Dean and Audrey Hepburn made early acting appearances on the show. Smith also starred in the weekly The Kate Smith Evening Hour which included a rare US TV appearance by Josephine Baker as well as the only major filmed footage of Hank Williams. Smith continued on the Mutual Broadcasting System, CBS, ABC, and NBC, presenting both music and talk shows on radio until 1960. tvdays

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Dan Rowan and Dick Martin host a Laugh-In. Along with Barbara Feldon, Pamela Austin, Judy Carne, Ken Berry, Herny Gibson, Larry Hovis and others. With segments likle "Cocktail Party", "New Talent Department, "Mod Mod Mod Mod World", "The News From 1987" and a little history. With the success of the special, it made a hit show in 1968.​

Laugh-In salutes the Olympics.​

Sketches including Here comes the Judge, Fickle Finger of Fate, Salute to Higher Education, and John Wayne visits the Joke Wall. Featuring Richard Nixon, John Wayne, Hugh Hefner, Goldie Hawn and Zsa Zsa Gabor.​

Greer Garson guests as the Farkle Family makes its debut. Also, the cast takes a look at extremism and the news is presented by the ladies dressed as Mae West.​

Guest Danny Kaye is a rival chef to Arte Johnson in the Italian king's kitchen. Then Kaye is the bride's father to Ruth Buzzi's Gladys. The cast looks at the generation gap. Ernestine places a call to LA mayor Sam Yorty.​

Guest Sammy Davis Jr., who is diminutive, squares off against the extremely tall Wilt Chamberlain. The comedy troupe looks at ethnic humor with Johnny Brown and Sammy recreating their version of Amos n Andy.​

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

The story of Tammy Tarleton, an 18-year-old country girl who moves back and forth between her "country" family, who live on a bayou houseboat, and the wealthy Brent's, who own a plantation.

S01E06 Prophet and Loss (Oct.22.1965)
Stars Debbie Watson Denver Pyle Frank McGrath Donald Woods George Furth Dorothy Green David Macklin Linda Marshall Jeanette Nolan

Aunt Hannah, a regionally known prophet, visits the Tarletons. When her first four prophecies come true, everyone dreads who will become the victim of the fifth and final: a bad business investment.​

Mr. Whitt moves in with the Tarletons to understand country culture for his writing.​

Tammy's Uncle Cully stirs up trouble when he operates a still while being Mr. Brent's gardener.​

Everyone is in for a surprise at Mr. Brent's birthday party when his mother is mistaken as the caterer.​

Grandpa uses Mr. Brent's mansion to pose as a wealthy man in wooing his former fiancee.​

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Lavinia arranges for a vicious child to wreak havoc on Tammy and Mr. Brent's son Steven to make her daughter Gloria look good.​

Mr. Brent and Mr. Whitt mistakes overhearing Grandpa's affection for a puppy as a raging affair.​

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

Lavinia arranges for a vicious child to wreak havoc on Tammy and Mr. Brent's son Steven to make her daughter Gloria look good.​

Mr. Brent and Mr. Whitt mistakes overhearing Grandpa's affection for a puppy as a raging affair.​

Fun show with Debbie Watson.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

A working class man constantly squabbles with his family over the important issues of the day.
For me, one of the top 5 greatest comedy sitcoms of all time!!

S01E07 Mike's Hippie Friends Come to Visit (Feb.23.1971)
Stars Carroll O'Connor Jean Stapleton Rob Reiner Sally Struthers Jack Bender Corey Fischer Jenny Sullivan

Mike invites his unmarried hippie friends to spend the night in the Bunker's living room, over Archie's strong objections.​

Archie and several neighbors learn that a black family is moving into the neighborhood, unaware that it is the Jeffersons. Lionel finds out about the effort to purchase the Jeffersons' new house and gets Archie to reveal his plans.​

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Mary Tyler Moore plays Mary McKinnon, who stars in a variety show. Every week she must deal with her producer Harry over what to do on that week's episode. She has a very neurotic assistant named Iris and a maid named Ruby, the page Kenny is an idiot, and every week a celebrity appears as a guest on her show.

S01E01 Episode #1.1 (May.04.1979)
Stars Mary Tyler Moore Lucille Ball Mike Douglas Michael Keaton Michael Lombard Ron Rifkin Joyce Van Patten Florence Halop Wayne C. Dvorak Vanda Barra Dody Goodman Oliver Hardy Jayne Kell

Just as Mary and Iris are planning for a ski holiday, a disaster strikes the show- no guest can be secured for the next show. She tries to coax Lucille Ball to come on, but she's committed to do a week on Mike Douglas unless he'll let her go. They try to talk him into it, but inadvertently show up drunk.​

Guest Bea Arthur takes advantage of Mary's good nature and takes over her dressing room and later invades her home with a tour group. An old time burlesque comedian hired to do bit parts ruins the scenes he's featured in, yet Mary hasn't the heart to sack him.​

Guest Bonnie has unexpectedly aggressive radical views about confronting authority, which only makes things worse when She and Mary are stopped by the police for jay walking outside of Television City. Meanwhile, a German syndicator who may buy Mary's show is left waiting while she's tied up in night court.​

A wild fire burning through a wooded canyon puts Mary's home is danger as guest Dick Van Dyke discusses his upcoming appearance on her show back at the studio. In segments we see Rob Petrie and his wife Laura as they might appear now (1979) as middle agers and fifty years after we last saw them (2016) as a doddering old couple.​

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks