What's new

Obscure Classic TV Shows - Post Your Favorites! (2 Viewers)

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
Brad I finally located my copy of The Lawless Years and I rewatched the Louy K: Part 1 through Part 5 all in one evening and I thank you for pointing out this one. Extremely violent, gripping story and perhaps the best role Paul Richards ever portrayed!
I've watched all of Lawless years twice now. I know I will be revisiting it again someday down the road. So by locating the set did you go back the the early season 1 episodes with the strong golden sepia look?

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I've watched all of Lawless years twice now. I know I will be revisiting it again someday down the road. So by locating the set did you go back the the early season 1 episodes with the strong golden sepia look?
Actually no I've been concentrating on a great Western series that a fellow board member sold me!! :)

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Zeb Macahan returns to the farm of Macahan to take his family to Oregon.​

Kate Macahan's sister, Molly Culhane, joins the family. A Mormon family arrives at the homestead while fleeing religious persecution, but the patriarch soon charms Laura. Zeb mediates between the Army and the angry Sioux after a Russian royalty kills a buffalo on Sioux land. Luke aids a local sheriff and meets his feisty daughter.​

Frank Grayson comes to town and Luke takes an interest when he learns he has been hired to run settlers out of the valley. Things are further complicated when Laura develops a romantic interest in Frank.​

If you enjoy James Arness How The West Was Won is a must buy!​

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

After advertising to look for his brother Charles and offering a $5,000 reward, a member of the wagon train gets a response from someone who walks through an Indian party that's pinning them all down. What he finds is not what he expected.​

The major comes upon two Japanese men, attacked by Indians and heading towards California. He learns one of the men plans on committing hara kiri while others on the train have designs on a black box they suspect may contain precious gems.​

When a well thought of member of the wagon train is found dead, Adams needs to prevent mob rule and make sure a lawful trial takes place. The accused who was not well liked is found passed out with the rifle used in the murder.​

When the deceased's wife arrives, the people on the wagon train learn that the murdered man has a dark past, and this could be a case of Cain & Abel - or perhaps something or someone in the dead-man's past came home-to-roost.​

The Major and party find a Pawnee Indian strung up and left to die. Back at the wagon train they find he is not who he appears to be. The mystery deepens as the Shoshonees, who hung him there, are still after him and getting closer.​

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Almost Christmas eve, the wagon train deals with a happy time, the perils that go with hostile Indians and a little lost boy who may have already been captured by those same hostiles.​

A baby girl sure has a rough start when she arrives on the stage with her dead mother. Plague is what people think killed her and then Charlie Wooster steps in to try to help - and well, you can imagine where it went from there.​

While preparing to return to St. Joseph, the men read the story "Wagon Ho" written and printed by Samuel T. Evans about his trip as a naive young Irishman headed west and his experiences and adventure on the trail.​

Roger Bigelow turns to the ministry with his father's help when he realizes what he might become without it. He gets the chance to help someone else on the wrong path but Major Adams is not sure the reverend is helping the right person.​

A married couple use the wife's innocent face and winning way with children to gain the trust of their companions on the wagon train so that they won't be suspected when the husband pulls off a bank robbery nearby.​

Wagon Train on DVD.
Certainly one of the very best Western Series of all time. Almost all the episodes have since been remastered and have aired commercial-free on Encore Westerns and with commercials on METV FETV and many others. Extremely doubtful Shout!Factory will ever re-release this great series.​

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
Seriously...Wagon Train has been remastered and aired on Encore Western like The Virginian? I have all the Timeless/Shout! sets from old prints. Too bad, I gave up cable 6 years ago and would have captured that one for sure as a replacement if it had been done back then.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Seriously...Wagon Train has been remastered and aired on Encore Western like The Virginian? I have all the Timeless/Shout! sets from old prints. Too bad, I gave up cable 6 years ago and would have captured that one for sure as a replacement if it had been done back then.
Encore only aired a handful of Season 8 episodes, so for whatever reason those weren't remastered. I'm not completely sure about color Season 7. To my eyes they look considerably better. Almost every night I watch bits and pieces of the B&W episodes on FETV and INSP.

Check out this brief clip and you can see the difference.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
Encore only aired a handful of Season 8 episodes, so for whatever reason those weren't remastered. I'm not completely sure about color Season 7. To my eyes they look considerably better. Almost every night I watch bits and pieces of the B&W episodes on FETV and INSP.

I see Amazon Prime has the first three seasons of Wagon Train under the STARZ channel. I checked out the trial and compared them to my Timeless/Shout! sets. What is streaming is better. Some of the stock shots at distance can still be a bit rough (not surprising) but the parts filmed for the show look surprisingly better. They may either still be working on other seasons or they are licensed separately to other channels. In any case, I prefer the earlier seasons with Ward Bond.

Sky King

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Hi Neal,

One of my favorite Wagon Train episodes, “The Tobias Jones Story” stars Lou Costello.”
Great dramatic acting on his part and also great acting by Beverly Washburn (the little girl) who I met several years ago and mentioned what a pleasure it was to work with Lou.

John

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Totally understand. When I built my dedicated room back in 2004 I decided to use the walls in the closet where I store the equipment as shelving. I went with seven rows built with DVD height and depth in mind. It totaled 42' length of space. I thought this will last me forever. A few years later I expanded to one of the walls outside the closet and added another 25'. A few years later I was back at it again, there was another two wall and corner to be conquered, giving me another 46'. I thought that is it, no more. But when that was full, I held firm. Instead of more shelving I ditched all the cumbersome TV case design and went slim with 6 disk cases and custom artwork. After all that I ran out of space again. I caved, one final wall space to conquer giving me another 25'. In the end, a total length of 138' for my collection. Unfortunately, the story does not end there. No more building, that's it, now what I have done is converted many of my TV sets onto single-layer 25 GB blu-ray disks using the Viva Elite 3-disk, 6-disk, a 10 disk cases and custom art. Saved a lot more space, but that's it. Now if something new comes in, something old has to go out. That's my stance and I'm sticking to it.

...and as far as what coming here as done to me? While my current profile says joined 2013, I actually first joined around 2003. I took a year hiatus between.

For an early look of my shelving back in 2004, see the bottom of post 88 in the Home theater section:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...-system-the-htf-theaters-thread.370866/page-5
I had to set an annex section and it's still growing as you can see!!

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Hi Neal,

One of my favorite Wagon Train episodes, “The Tobias Jones Story” stars Lou Costello.”
Great dramatic acting on his part and also great acting by Beverly Washburn (the little girl) who I met several years ago and mentioned what a pleasure it was to work with Lou.

John
Hi John. S02E04 The Tobias Jones Story (Oct.22.1958) was one off the first episodes I looked for when I realized folks were posting Wagon Train on Daily Motion but sadly it could not be found.

I had to set an annex section and it's still growing as you can see!!
Holy sh*t CCP. Your collection makes me look like a beginner!!!
icon_e_shocked2.gif

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

The land leased for a week's worth of circus performances turns out to be owned by the estranged husband and son of Casey Thompson's star attraction - female sharpshooter. Bonnie's mixed emotions about seeing her child nearly causes disaster when she shoots her assistant by accident during a performance.​

When Casey Thompson is seriously injured, Tony Gentry rides to the nearest settlement to get a doctor. He discovers the town is being held captive by an outlaw gang whose leader is forcing its only physician to keep watch over his dying brother.​

Desperate to get an elephant, Casey Thompson travels far into the hinterlands to pick up a pachyderm he purchased from another wilderness circus went out of business. Upon arrival he discovers an additional expense he hadn't counted on - the elephant was almost literally eating the livery stable owner out of house and home. Unable to meet the feed bill, Casey and the livery stable owner must travel across to hostile territory on the beast to obtain the necessary funds to pay off his debt.​

Thompson discovers the circus' remaining food supply has been tainted when his tightrope walker is struck down by food poisoning. Two weeks in any direction from the nearest point of resupply, the showmen must become buffalo hunters and come into conflict with white men with competing interests and Indians led by Quannah Parker who want the buffalo for their own needs.​

When a hot-air balloonist crashes into a building near the Thompson and Travis Circus is located and draws a huge crowd, Ben and Tony immediately try to hire the pretty blonde to perform in their show. Ben's attraction isn't just monetary, though he has romance on his mind.​

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

The men deliver a herd and celebrate in the local town. The town is rough and Blue has the misfortune to draw the ire of a professional gunman. Blue decides he must stay in town and face the man against the wishes of his dad and the men.​

Big John, Buck, Manolito and most of the men leave the ranch so Blue is left in charge. The men left harass Blue resulting in Blue becoming too lax and Big John's prize stallion stolen creating a riff between Big John and Blue.​

An Army shipment of rifles is stolen by Apaches. Blue is taken captive by the Chief Morales until Big John proves the Apaches were not involved in the attack. Manolito locates the real culprits but no one knows it or his location.​

Bounty hunter Johnny Ringo has been sent by the Army to arrest an Apache hiding with the Apaches for murder and theft. As feared it causes a break in the peace putting the ranch in danger and the near killing of the Cannon men and hands.​

Mysterious events start occurring on the ranch putting the ranch hands in danger. But who is behind it? Some of the hands quit in fear forcing the Cannons to find who is behind the incidents and why they are occurring.​

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Victoria is injured when a prisoner, a doctor being held for murder by a marshal, tries to escape. Big John is left with no choice but to have the prisoner operate on her. He has to go against the marshal who believes Victoria will die.​

Victoria's father visits and tries to take advantage of the custom Mi Casa, Su Casa which irritates the Cannons. It also creates trouble with the Apaches when he accidentally gives away Apache cattle putting the ranch in danger.​

Blue is a temporary deputy for a weekend during which Well Fargo is held up. He arrests Buck and Manolito for disorderly conduct and they unwittingly help him capture the robbers in a weekend of tricks and paybacks between them.​

Buck and Manolito go with Victoria to protect her on the way to another ranch to help deliver a baby. However, an attack by Apaches lead to Victoria being taken hostage by an Apache followed by three bank robbers who threaten to kill her.​

While the quality of these YouTube uploads are quite good, it doesn’t do justice to the series on DVD. Shout!Factory really came through on this one. Purchase with confidence before the earlier seasons go OOP. It appears Shout has given up on making new supply for many of their classic television releases.

The High Chaparral Season One Two Three and Four

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Gil Favor is trail boss of a continuous cattle drive. He is assisted by Rowdy Yates. The crew runs into characters and adventures along the way.

Best Of Season Two
The 2nd season is one of the strongest of this landmark series. 10 shows have been posted below. A special thanks goes out to Randall aka Flashgear for providing 8 of his favorite episodes.

S02E07 Incident at the Buffalo Smokehouse (Oct.30.1959)
Stars Clint Eastwood Eric Fleming Vera Miles Leif Erickson Paul Brinegar Sheb Wooley Paul Brinegar James Murdock Steve Raines Rocky Shahan Gene Evans Allison Hayes John Agar J. Pat O'Malley Harry Dean Stanton Jack Weston Lane Bradford Karl Swenson Harry Swoger Robert Tetrick Glen Turnbull

Mr. Favor is stuck in a house, because the owner of the house is attacked by some men.​

Desperate for water, Gil's drive is forced into a deadly confrontation between the Paneequa tribe and surveyors, over the Lake of the Haunted Hills. The valley's ghostly winds and geysers are sacred to the tribe, while the U.S. Army survey is headed by a stubborn Indian killer Captain, who orders a Paneequa woman tortured. Gil hopes his drover Tasunka, who left the tribe as a teen, can mediate the dispute with minimal bloodshed, but when Gil finds that the local White settlement Heliotrope is a ghost town due to the dispute, the trail boss tells Rowdy to take over the drive in case he is killed.​

In the midst of a thunderstorm and despite his men's objections, Mr. Favor hires a man who comes across the camp, blamed for bringing bad luck with him, and one bad break follows another.​

A woman and her father join the drovers, but the drovers don' t know that they're cursed by the druids.​

Gil is allowed to continue the cattle drive, despite being accused of murder by the victim's wife and son, after Rowdy is deputized to guard him. Meanwhile, the real killers, three outlaws, scheme to steal church funds from a priest befriended by Gil and Rowdy.​

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Wishbone buries his brother "alive" to keep Kiowas from killing him for romancing the stony chief's wife. T.J. turns out to be a comical embarrassment: a pot fixer whose customers fight to scalp him for his shoddy tinking, which is his ploy for woman chasing. For years, trail cook Wishy's fellow drovers heard the cook laud his misplaced little brother's prowess as a warrior, politician, you name it. But angering the Kiowa at the moment is deadly serious, because the tribe is divided over signing a treaty. Young braves oppose old Chief Wankawa inking the doc.​

The drovers rescue an injured traveler and his grown daughter, who is sensitive about her unmarried status. The woman flees, but scout Pete Nolan locates her. Upon learning that she can't face patronizing relatives in the town she's moving to, Pete decides to accompany her there and pose as her fiancé.​

While taking a mountain short cut, Wishbone is injured in a fall caused by a bullying ore freighter. He seeks aid in a small mining town, where he becomes attached to a widow, who is the freighter's fiancée.​

A steer with the word "MURDER" branded on its side, considered an omen of violent death, is seen shortly after four mysterious riders from the same town join the drive.​

A young girl is so shocked at her father's murder that she cannot speak. She is taken captive by two escaped convicts.​

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Two Secret Service Agents, equipped with a wide array of gizmos, work for the government in the Old West.

S01E01 The Night Of The Inferno (Sept 17, 1965)

President Grant, beset by problems, recalls his top troubleshooter James West to service. West and his partner Artemus Gordon must discover why Juan Manolo has staged a series of raids in the southwest territories. Sending the army might cause a war, but a pair of low key troubleshooters might be able to solve the problem.​

West arrives to meet an informant. Before he can, an attempt is made on his life and the informant is blown up! The man's dying word, "Flory," is West's only clue to a plot that just might rewrite the map south of the Mexican border, and threaten the future of the United States.​

West and Gordon must help Professor Neilsen reach Washington with his invention - a new and extremely powerful explosive. But a diminutive genius has ambitions of his own, and they require the professor's death. When the professor dies, West and Gordon must discover his killer before the madman's plans unfold and Professor Neilsen has a lot of company.​

Black clad men clamber over each other and up the wall to a high window, entering the United States Mint at Carson City. They plant a bomb and leave without taking any of the money. Jim West and Artemus Gordon must learn why they broken in and who masterminded the plot before economic chaos overtakes the United States.​

John Maxwell Avery advised the President and led powerful men in Washington. Then he was discovered to be a political opportunist and a scoundrel. He fled Washington and rumor has it the President helped him do it. He has killed many many to keep his freedom. To avert a scandal the President sends Jim and Artie, the only men who can capture Avery and return him for trial.​

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

After several ships are lost with all aboard, Jim and Arte's investigation leads them to a blind former river boat captain who wants complete domination of the American rivers.​

Jim and Arte uncover an unscrupulous plot devised by an ambitious dictatorial governor who has plans to become President of the United States.​

The Vipers, a band of outlaws, have been pulling off raids across Kansas towns. A clue leads West and Gordon to the quiet village of Freedom, where they meet a straight-shooting sheriff and a mayor who will stop at seemingly nothing to become governor. Gordon goes undercover and finds the plans to the Vipers' get-away wagon, while West discovers the secret entrance to the outlaws meeting place.​

Johnny Sabatini makes a dying request of his adversary, West: to ensure that a special young woman (Sylvia Nolan) receives the gift he is bequeathing her. The mission takes West and his able assistant, Ned Brown, to the spooky ghost town of Calliope, Missouri, where, according to the thuggish sheriff, outsiders come (looking for a reputed hidden fortune) but are never seen leaving.​

While solving the murder of a fellow Secret Service agent, Jim West and Jeremy Pike must uncover a traitor at the service academy with their only clue a sheet of music left by the dead agent.​

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

A fictionalized account of the life of legendary Wild West sharpshooter Annie Oakley. Set in the quiet western town of Diablo, Annie and her little brother Tagg made sure that outlaws who moseyed into town kept on going. Often at her side was friend, suitor and deputy sheriff Lofty Craig with whom she often showed off her shooting prowess.

S01E01 Annie and the Brass Collar (Jan.09.1954)
Stars Gail Davis Brad Johnson Jimmy Hawkins Robert Emmett O'Connor Britt Lomond Roy Barcroft Paul E. Burns Chris Alcaide Bob Woodward

Annie is called on to help find three men involved in a train robbery. The manager's son tells his father that he's taking over, believing his father is no longer capable of his job.​

An old school friend of Annie's breaks out of jail with two other inmates to go search for the treasure at the mission. She believed his innocence when he was convicted, and still believes him. Now she must help him capture the two inmates who want the treasure.​

With an outlaw at large and the Sheriff searching for him, trouble arrives in the form of a fake sheriff, a drunk, and a senseless murder.​

While awaiting word from the mine to see if they found gold, Annie discovers a beloved stagecoach is now being driven by a woman, the daughter of the owner who is now threatening to sell the stage and pocket the money. Annie suspects there's more going on with the mine when they return and announce that there is no gold. Now, she must get to the bottom of things before it's too late for the town.​

The owner of the mine is bushwhacked, but lives long enough to ask Annie to send for his daughter. His killer still unknown, the daughter has a big decision to make on the running of the mine.​

Exceptionally remastered! Highly recommended!
Annie Oakley: The Complete Series

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

An old former Army scout and his grandson search the west for the man's son, a gunfighter on the run.

S01E01 Ride the Long Trail (Sep.08.1967)
Stars Walter Brennan Dack Rambo Claude Akins Paul Fix J. Pat O'Malley Rex Holman Perry Cook Brandon Carroll

Jeff and Will encounter a man who lost an arm in a gunfight with Jim Sonnett.​

With Will's gun arm injured, Jeff is forced into his first-ever gunfight against a master gunfighter (Charles Grodin, of all people) who uses every psychological trick in the book.​

Arriving in a Mexican town, the Sonnetts find Jim's grave and a curiously reticent padre, and tangle with a bandito leader who may -- or may not -- have killed James. Features an exceptionally lively gunfight at the end.​

Will stops by a town intending to visit his old friend Morgan. Turns out, he is the sheriff. He tells Will the town wants him and Jeff to move along as they are not wanted. But a cattle baron comes into town, intent on confronting Morgan.​

Hearing that Jim Sonnett is to be hanged, Will and Jeff hurry to a Western town. The killer of two maintains he's their relative. Grandfather Will doesn't buy his act, grandson Jeff wants to believe and does. The taciturn Sheriff doesn't care who's who, he's wary that the Sonnetts will break his notorious prisoner out, so he limits the pair's access to the jail. The carnival atmosphere surrounding the big execution unhinges the youngest Sonnett.​

A fun western series with very mediocre picture quality. If you’re not picky, buy it. If you are, skip it.
The Guns of Will Sonnett: The Complete Series

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justin2001
Recent bookmarks