What's new

Obscure Christmas Titles (1 Viewer)

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
With it being the Christmas season, I wanted to see if anyone had seen Santa Claus Conquers the Martians available on DVD and if so where can I get it and how is the quality. I saw this once very early Christmas morning on TNT as a kid and have been clamoring to get my hands on it ever since. I really doubt this one will ever get an SE - and I'm ok with that because we are talking about a really bad 1960s B movie.

Yes, I know the movie is complete crap. That's what makes it fun! Especially the sing-along during the end credits.

DeanWG

Stunt Coordinator
Another semi-obscure Christmas title that would be nice to know whether there's a future on DVD:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099263/

Jim Henson's "The Christmas Toy". I loved this as a kid when it first aired, but I don't even think I've ever seen it replayed on TV.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to see An American Christmas Carol (starring Henry Winkler) on something other than VHS.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I'd love to see The Night They Saved Christmas on DVD.

It is a cheesy made-for-tv movie, but I loved it growing up!

Oh, and Art Carney stars as the big man himself! :emoji_thumbsup:

Ooh, and don't forget The Bear Who Slept Through Christmas
Loved that one too.

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
How about Mickey's xmas carol ??? ON DVD ? VHS copies of this puppy on ebay are fetching 30 40 bucks !! Good thing disney made it OOP right before the holidays !!..Anyway I wish i could find A Widescreen dvd of Santa Claus the movie ...all i can find is full frame

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Mickey's Christmas Carol was going to be on one of the Disney Treasures sets, but they've been delayed til May now.
I want the Star Wars Holiday Special and the Pac-Man animated Christmas special (I have Pac-Man's Christmas album from Kid Stuff Records!)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
AMERICAN CHRISTMAS CAROL is out (and has been for some time) on DVD, from Image Entertainment. Well worth a look!!

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, thanks for the heads-up on An American Christmas Carol.

I just found the link and will be ordering it tomorrow. Time to retire the VHS. :)

Ronald G

Grip
I would have to say, "A house without a Christmas tree" deserves a place on the platter. It came out in 1972 as a Hallmark Hall of Fame starring Jason Robards, Mildred Natwick and the girl who plays the protagonist. Excellent production and writing and a tug at the old heart strings.

John Gido

Second Unit
I wish they would release Rich Little's A Christmas Carol. In it, Rich plays all of the characters using his impressions (Paul Lynde as Bob Cratchet, Truman Capote as Tiny Tim, Edith Bunker as Mrs. Cratchet, W.C. Fields as Scrooge, etc.) Was big on HBO in the early 80's. I don't even know if it was released on VHS (my taped copy doesn't even play anymore).

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I would actually buy the Star Wars Holiday Special if it were released on DVD. I have a VHS copy of it, and it's just atrocious. It's good to have on hand, though, to prove to people that the prequels aren't the worst Star Wars films out there. It's also nice to have to show to friends who don't believe it's as bad as everyone says it is.

Dave Danek

Stunt Coordinator
IIRC, the Rich Little Christmas special was released on both VHS and LD. Unfortunately I can't remember if I have it on LD. . . The VHS is OOP and goes for a nice buck on eBay of course. . .

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
Is there ANY chance of ever seeing a release of the holiday special? I have read Lucas has said he basically hates it and does not want people to see it? I hav enever had the (dis?)pleasure of seeing it but I would shell out $15 anf get it on a blind buy...

Fans of Bloom County might recall the animated special "A Wish For Wings That Work" that aired several years ago. Like the comic strip, a little off the wall, but genuinely touching and funny. Possibly the only animated version of Bloom County ever produced. Also, the only version of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians that's worth watching IMO is the one from Mystery Science Theater.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
From what I understand, Lucas doesn't even want the existence of the Holiday Special acknowledged by anyone, including himself. My guess is that there will never be a sanctioned release of it, regardless of what the fans want (sounds kind of like the Original Trilogy debates now). I personally thing it'd be cool if it was included as an easter egg on the OT release, but I seriously doubt that happening. Aside from the severe mental anguish people would go through while actually watching it, I don't see any real harm in releasing it. It might even be cool if they kept in the commercial breaks, and filled them with the original Star Wars and Kenner TV spots.

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
What is up with the TV movie The Gathering? My vhs is shot and I cant even find a sealed copy back from when it was still out around the early 90's...I know Goodtimes owned the rights for awhile. I cant even transfer it to DVD myself cause it's so horrendous. Hopefully it will be released on DVD but I'd be happy with a new vhs copy right now.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I'd like to see the animated A Christmas Carol from 1971 which Alistair Sim does the voice of Scrooge. I saw this when I was about 8 years old and have longed to see it ever since. The only down part was that it was only about 1/2 hour long. I think it may have come out on VHS at some point but is definitely oop now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks