What's new

Objectionable Burma - why ? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Agreed, so again I ask, where does this discussion go from here?
Robert, the only reason for raising this point is that my original comment (which was just to notify US members as gently as possible that raving about Objection Burma could offend Brit members) was felt to necessitate a separate thread, which Maurice beat me to starting. We could expand this to a wider discussion of historical accuracy, etc, but I guess it depends on the energies of others. I think we've made our point. It's just a request for a little tact in handling comments on movies likely to offend some sections of the HTF.

Incidentally, The Patriot is historically dubious in many respects, but it would be true to say that although locking people in barns and immolating them wasn't a common tactic in the War of Independence, the Brits weren't a nice lot in that war - but equally, neither were the Americans. I've got to confess that I'm rather tired of movies on the War of American Independence that portray the Americans as thoroughly liberal and with a clear sense of national identity - all of that is hogwash. This isn't injured Brit pride speaking (contrary to popular American belief, we Brits couldn't give a monkey's nuts about 1776), but simple exasperation at seeing a complex situation in which neither side is totally innocent or guilty reduced to simplistic 'liberty versus privilege'.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
While we are on this side-track, it is actually pretty surprising how few Hollywood feature films have been made about the American Revolution.

Back to the original topic, Objective Burma was an effective propaganda film made primarily for an American audience, and it did its job well. I recommend that forum members watch it, read up on the larger theater of war in Burma from which the mission in the film was "borrowed", avoid feeling guilty about seeing such a well made film, and petition somebody to release "The Dam Busters" on DVD as soon as possible.

Regards,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Exactly, a propaganda film that thrill me to watch as a kid and caused me to read more about WWII which is why I'm a military history buff today.

Crawdaddy

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Saying U-571 was a work of fiction, does not justify the confusion and misdirection that such work leaves in todays cinema generation who are unlikely to read the truth for themselves.
I did not see this film, as I was forewarned about its peculiar version of an historical even. I am curious as to whether Alan Turning was turned into an American. :D

As a general statement, I agree with Robert in that I don’t expect much from Hollywood in terms of historical accuracy. On the other hand, when they pretend that their films are, in the main, based on historical events, we ought to expect that at least we get the continent correct.

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
Cripes,,people getting offended by a movie? Now if they are trying to actually make a historical piece,and mess up,thats one thing (but still I dont see it meriting someone being offended), But most of these are just movies,and are there for enjoyment,so what if they take liberties,if your so outraged dont watch it. If you know anything about film you would know this happens in 99% of film in one way or another,actually its closer to 100% im sure.

So they didnt get a fact right in a movie,did they do it to advance a plotline,or for whatever reason,probley so.
WHO CARES? its a movie,,if you want historical facts,dont watch movies,watch The History Channel,which I love by the way, but PLEASE dont watch movies if your doing a report for your American History class. That would be just plain bad. hehe Goodtimes all.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The reason for (as Robert so charmingly put it) puking in another thread is not to have a rant just for the sake of it or to get worked up about historical innacuracy. It's simply to point out that some discussions on HTF can cause offence that others might be unaware of.

Some of my work is with WWII and Korean War veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, and American 'appropriation' of Brit acts is a factor cited by some as part of the cause of their stress. Also, imagine the delight a war widow/orphan might feel on seeing an action her husband/father died for appropriated by another nation.

These isn't an issue of saying 'you mustn't enjoy this, it's historically wrong'. Hell, there's barely an historical movie a person could watch if that were the case. If folks want to watch Objective Burma, Patriot, or whatever and enjoy them, then fine. I'm simply saying, be aware that a small number of movies are likely to cause offence.

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to echo Andrews last couple of posts which I think sum up my sentiments on this topic.

I quite like the film OB, there is an extrememly powerful scene, that simply shows the reporter character 'reacting' to an injured soldier that I find very worthy; unfortunately I would hope that films with such worthy qualities in future could avoid crude thefts of identity eg main culprit U-571.

For those that continue to fail see the harm of such distortions (rather than simple innacuracies ) I would just ask them to consider their own feelings if the examples above were applied to their own history.

......must go before I start on 'Bloody Sunday' !!!:frowning:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

We see your point but there isn't much we can do about it. If such films upset you so much then don't watch them which is the same avenue of recourse I've used for films that offended me.

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
I must admit I was offended by a film..
The Pest with that horrible John Lamozamo. Was I offended because I too am of latin decent? NO. and am not of latin decent.

Was it because is was a blatent rip off of The Most Dangerous Game? NO

The reason? Because it was in the comedy section of my rental store when its plagued box first hit the shelves,and I ,being out of other choices,picked this tripe up,took it home,watched it,and realized I never laughed. Now that deserves my offense.

Man I hated that thing. hehe :)
so tis true all can be offended ,I suspose, by a film here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks