What's new

Obi's preferred settings for RV 80 (1 Viewer)

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Could not find the original thread regarding the discontinued RV 80. I recall that Obi had stated his preferences for the picture settings.
Does anyone have a copy of that review?
Also, I'm curious what settings others prefer.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Hi Bill,
The thread you refer to can be found in the search function. Well, should be found is the key phrase. I suspect it has been purged, as I tried and got RP 91 posts from 2001. Strange search function these days. The post from Obi was October 17, 2000., 11:04 AM --- Topic: "Panasonic DVD-RV80: First Impressions".
I know Robert has upgraded to the RP91,...... so I will jump in here for the sake of expediency as I printed out the thread because I ended up purchasing the RV80. And I am still a very happy user today.
Robert states: "For my testing, I used the "rear projection" and "fine" settings with all others flat, or at "0".
I played around with all the setting -- the gamma controls in particular -- and ended up leaving mine at the exact same settings Robert used in his testing.
As an aside, I use the "Lighter" setting for black level control (page 30 of the manual). Even though the manual recommends the "Darker" setting when connecting via component video cable out to your TV monitor, I found the black level suffered tremendously. The lighter setting was far more accurate for my Tosh 43" RPTV. YMMV.
Hope this helps,
BOK
[Edited last by Brian OK on July 16, 2001 at 03:42 PM]

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Hi Brian, I just recently purchased a RV80 myself, great dvd player. It has so my things you can play with compared to my old Marantz 810. I go it from fellow HTF member John Morris. Plays everthing so far without a hitch.
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks