What's new

Obi's IB (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
My new HT room will be 24 feet long by 12 feet wide by 7 feet tall. I'll post some SPL plots etc when its all finished but that might not be for a couple of weeks yet since we just moved into the house and there's 1001 other jobs my wife insists are a higher priority then the HT room;)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Andrew
Trust me.....
There is no greater priority in life than getting your IB constructed. :D

CarlDais

Stunt Coordinator
So yes VERY tight and detailed kick drum. Obi's system will be an interesting mix of ported and IB sonic signatures.
Thomas could you elaborate on this idea of Obi's new sub system being an interesting mix of Ported & IB?

thanks

carl

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Carl
Nope I can't having never heard it. That's why I characterized it with the word 'interesting' :)
I see no benefit to creating this type of hybrid. But since it's not practical for Obi to gut his SVS tubes, he'll get higher output with the combination of alignments

Robert George

Screenwriter
I see no benefit to creating this type of hybrid. But since it's not practical for Obi to gut his SVS tubes, he'll get higher output with the combination of alignments.
Is this me we are talking about?

What do you mean by "combination of alignments?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Oh!
My understanding was that he was going to be using all the subs (IB and tubes). So I thought that would be 'interesting' :)

Steve Hanna

Agent
If you can do an IB sub, especially arrays, there's no box that'll beat it. It's as tight as can be and will have as much Vd & spl as you could ever want.

Some day when I have a better house and no close neighbors...

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
My understanding was that he was going to be using all the subs (IB and tubes). So I thought that would be 'interesting'
It would at that. ;) Were that the case, I'd assume that transient response would only be as good as the weaker link, which would be the SVS tubes.

Robert George

Screenwriter
I'm using "only" the IB. The term "only" used carefully. These two 12's in this installation are quite enough for me, thank you very much.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Obi, onto another subject...your main speakers look like they are placed at the 1/4 width spots in your room. I always read that those areas should be avoided. Did you use speaker placement calculations (software) or critical listening/measururing to come up with those locations, or did you just plop them down wherever they looked best?

thanks

Jim

Robert George

Screenwriter
Jim:
For placement of the left/right mains, I tried to get the optimal separation based on distance from primary seating spot. I use the formula of the seating distance being 1.33 times the distance between speakers. I also wanted to avoid getting the speakers too close to the side walls. Where they are now is the best I have been able to come up with.
Imaging is very good, so I believe this placement is about as good as it can be relative to the room. I have also had a couple of others whose audio opinions I trust help with overall placement. Ideally, the mains should be a bit further from the wall, but I am already encroaching on spousal territory so I have to be careful ;).

Users who are viewing this thread