What's new

Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I never understood why he went into hiding due to the galactic government trying to hunt down everyone from his order and continued to wear his order’s clothes every day. Wouldn’t it have been a good idea to buy a flannel shirt and some overalls?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I never understood why he went into hiding due to the galactic government trying to hunt down everyone from his order and continued to wear his order’s clothes every day. Wouldn’t it have been a good idea to buy a flannel shirt and some overalls?
:lol: Also, he should have changed his and Luke's last names too. :D

The in-universe answer is that you do see some denizens of Mos Eisley in robes similar to Obi-Wan's so it's not garb exclusive to the Jedi (even Uncle Owen's and the cantina bartender's costumes could have been used by a prequel Jedi extra). The real world answer is that Obi-Wan was wearing simple Tatooine robes until they decided to use that look for the Jedi when they made The Phantom Menace.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
:lol: Also, he should have changed his and Luke's last names too. :D

The in-universe answer is that you do see some denizens of Mos Eisley in robes similar to Obi-Wan's so it's not garb exclusive to the Jedi (even Uncle Owen's and the cantina bartender's costumes could have been used by a prequel Jedi extra). The real world answer is that Obi-Wan was wearing simple Tatooine robes until they decided to use that look for the Jedi when they made The Phantom Menace.

Right. When his neighbor came calling, he no doubt said, “Hi, I’m Ben.” But what he should have said was “Hi, I’m Ben. Ben Jenkins. I’m originally from Buffalo.”

BTW, Yoda did wear robes similar to Obi-Wan in ESB.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
BTW, Yoda did wear robes similar to Obi-Wan in ESB.
True enough but I still think Obi-Wan was wearing what they thought of as standard Tatooine clothes rather than anything relating to a Jedi when they made the first movie. You're right that Yoda is wearing similar robes to Obi-Wan and I'd say that cast the dye for that costume being the standard Jedi uniform.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
With Lord and Miller specifically, that they like to improv is one thing. That they refused multiple direct orders is another. They come from television where you have to work as part of a team to make a whole, and I’m sure that’s what Kennedy and Disney thought they were getting. I just don’t think it entered any of their minds that the guys they hired would repeatedly refuse to do the work they were hired for. To me, the most damning thing is that they shot for almost the entirety of the shooting schedule, but only something like 25% of what they shot was usable. That’s the insanity part. I mean, why are you even on that project then? What do you think the result would be?

But maybe the studio also presumed that filmmakers would be more reverent to the material just because it was Star Wars, and that’s a mistake.

Its really incredible when you think about it. I would love, but hold no possible expectation, to be able to see what they did shoot, with some kind of synopsis on what story they were trying to tell.

On a parallel note, what are people thinking about the Justice League Snyder cut? I know it isn't out yet, but in general?

I wonder if that turns out being successful....

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Its really incredible when you think about it. I would love, but hold no possible expectation, to be able to see what they did shoot, with some kind of synopsis on what story they were trying to tell.

On a parallel note, what are people thinking about the Justice League Snyder cut? I know it isn't out yet, but in general?

I wonder if that turns out being successful....
I don't think there'd be a way to salvage Lord and Miller's Solo from what they have but I'd like to see the script. I would be interested in seeing the original cut of Rogue One though. Not because I think it would be better but because I want to see the cool AT-ATs on Scariff stuff that was in trailers but didn't make the final cut. Just put those unfinished scenes on Disney +! :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I love all of the alternate scenes, abandoned storylines and animatics from the prequels showing the evolution of the story as George was assembling the films. You can see him almost discovering the films in edit and it’s fascinating stuff. I don’t think it’s better than the final product but it’s great seeing how he got there.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I love all of the alternate scenes, abandoned storylines and animatics from the prequels showing the evolution of the story as George was assembling the films.
In that vein, I enjoy seeing elements of unused prequel and original trilogy art that is still ending up in animated series, TV series and even the new movies.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I love all of the alternate scenes, abandoned storylines and animatics from the prequels showing the evolution of the story as George was assembling the films. You can see him almost discovering the films in edit and it’s fascinating stuff. I don’t think it’s better than the final product but it’s great seeing how he got there.

One thing that I wish could be released is jw rinzler making of the force awakens book. It’s completed and was listed for preorder on amazon in 2015 but Disney killed it.

Maybe in 40 years?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Hayden is back!
Maybe Vader will be like the reporter trying to catch the Incredible Hulk on the old TV show. I have a feeling that Old Ben Kenobi's adventures as a "crazy old wizard" may have involved a bit more than we have been led to believe.

I'd love it if Hayden was playing a part like Scorpius in Farscape, this Force-echo in Obi-Wan's head who keeps bugging him about being left to die on a lava-planet.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As long as James Earl Jones (or a decent impersonator thereof) is doing the voice, I don't care if Christensen is under the helmet.
Maybe I'm forgetting something but as far as I can remember, they've gotten Jones to voice all the Darth Vader Disney-era live action and animated appearances. I'm assuming that Obi-Wan and Vader won't be in the same physical space in this show so if they hired Hayden Christensen, I think they're going to use Anakin more than Vader anyway.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
^ Yup. If Suit Vader™ ever actually shows up, he'll be voiced by James Earl Jones -- he's already done it multiple times already recently, and I don't see that changing.

Or maybe Hayden will be pre-Mustafar Vader (post-Jedi Temple/Youngling-massacre, but before he fights Kenobi) -- he is technically "Darth Vader" during those parts of the film, and I can see them using that loophole to allow him to use his "pre-lava" physical appearance on the show if it's gonna be more of a "Force-vision"-type of thing than an in-suit deal.

Plus there's the tangible benefits of having Ewan and Hayden having some real meaningful scenes together that use of the suit would likely impede, in terms of Hayden being able to convey emotions and such, which wouldn't be a factor if he's pre-Mustafar "mostly-meatbag" Vader.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I wanted to say add the obligatory N + many Os but as long as he is in full costume, it's ok! :ph34r:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
James Earl Jones is 89. May the Force be with him but surely someone’s given some thought to revoicing Darth Vader. (Writing this as I listen to the expanded version of John Powell’s Solo score on Apple Music; it certainly wasn’t his fault that the film went awry.)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
A little info on Vader:

Director Deborah Chow says that the Galaxy, ten years after the events of Revenge of the Sith, is a dangerous place, and for Kenobi, "it's not safe." Why? Well, because there are "Jedi hunters out there." Star Ewan McGregor, meanwhile, notes that Obi-Wan has "one task left" and that is "keep Luke [Skywalker] safe."

Concept art also revealed an unnamed Jedi defending a trio of Younglings from Anakin Skywalker in the Jedi Temple, so Hayden Christensen will presumably be playing Darth Vader shortly after he was given that title by Palpatine.

Chow also shared some artwork of Darth Vader seated on a throne as he communicates with someone via hologram, while confirming that we will "definitely see Obi-Wan and Darth Vader get into it again." McGregor adds, "It'll be amazing to bring those characters back together again, very unexpectedly. Having another swing at each other might be quite satisfying for everybody."

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
James Earl Jones is 89. May the Force be with him but surely someone’s given some thought to revoicing Darth Vader. (Writing this as I listen to the expanded version of John Powell’s Solo score on Apple Music; it certainly wasn’t his fault that the film went awry.)

You certainly wouldn't really know that Jones is 89, listening to his performances as Vader in Rogue One and SW: Rebels, although yeah, I'd bet Disney probably has contingency-plans in place in the event something happens to either him or his voice, here.

As long as he's up for doing it (and it likely isn't that much of a huge issue for him, since they can basically record him from home now if they really want to), I'm down for Jones staying in the role as long as possible.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out since when Obi-Wan and Vader meet on the Death Star in A New Hope, Vader says, "I have been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was a learner. Now I am the master." We have always interpreted that as they have not seen or met each other since that fateful fight on Mustafar that transformed Anakin into "more machine than man." If we will "definitely see Obi-Wan and Darth Vader get into it again" as director Deborah Chow states in that article, it'll be curious to see whether it's a flashback to after being deemed "Darth Vader" by the Emperor but before the fight on Mustafar (which if that's the case, how do they explain why such an important meeting was left out of Episode III? Probably better not to ask such retcon questions...) or if they have another battle with Vader in the suit prior to A New Hope how they can do that without changing the context of that dialog on the Death Star.

Also, am I the only one that wonders why bring Christensen back just to be in the Vader suit? For one thing, as has been mentioned, suited Vader is voiced by James Earl Jones so Christensen isn't needed. And also, Christensen isn't big enough to be Vader in the suit (I've always thought he looked a little like a miniature Vader at the end of Episode III) because Hayden is only 6' and svelt and David Prowse was a bodybuilder who stood 6' 6" while Spencer Wilding and Daniel Naprous are 6' 7" and 6' 5" respectively in Rogue One.

Nevertheless, I eagerly await on pins and needles for the Obi-Wan Kenobi limited series as I'm so looking forward to Ewan's return to the role!

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out since when Obi-Wan and Vader meet on the Death Star in A New Hope, Vader says, "I have been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was a learner. Now I am the master." We have always interpreted that as they have not seen or met each other since that fateful fight on Mustafar that transformed Anakin into "more machine than man." If we will "definitely see Obi-Wan and Darth Vader get into it again" as director Deborah Chow states in that article, it'll be curious to see whether it's a flashback to after being deemed "Darth Vader" by the Emperor but before the fight on Mustafar (which if that's the case, how do they explain why such an important meeting was left out of Episode III? Probably better not to ask such retcon questions...) or if they have another battle with Vader in the suit prior to A New Hope how they can do that without changing the context of that dialog on the Death Star.
That dialogue is why I think any meeting between the two of them is going to be via The Force or in a vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks