1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by SamT, Feb 20, 2019.

1. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    [​IMG]

We already know Disney and Lucasfilm are working on two new live-action Star Wars shows. The Mandalorian is expected to hit Disney+ later this year, and a Rogue One prequel series focusing on Diego Luna’s character Cassian Andor is also in the works. But now a character who fans have long wanted to see in spin-off story might be headed to Disney’s streaming service as well.

A new rumor floating around says an Obi-Wan Kenobi limited series might be in the works for Disney+, and it’s a “top priority” for the House of Mouse.

slashfilm.com

Sam Favate likes this.
  2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Fingers crossed that this ends up being true!

Neil Middlemiss and joshEH like this.
  3. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    I said that they can make these things for their streaming service. They don't have to be all theatrical movies.

4. JQuintana

JQuintana Banned
    BANNED

Me
    I talked to my friend who works at Disney and he's working on a Monsters Inc show for D+ and he thinks they are planning on making most or all of the Disney catalog available on D+.

So hopefully all those old classic live action movies will show up.

5. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    SamT, holtge, Greg.K and 4 others like this.
  6. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
  7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Smart move to pull McGregor back in by giving him some episodes to direct.

joshEH likes this.
  8. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Very glad to see this happening. We'll get word from Disney next week at D23. This is the one project that I have always wanted to see made.

Question about the Deadline article: Do we think that the Mandalorian came out of the wreckage of the Boba Fett movie? I thought they were separate projects.

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

My GUESS is that they might have pulled a few ideas that were cool from the Boba Fett movie for The Mandalorian. Sorta like how they took the very early concept drawing of Darth Maul that they spitballed for The Phantom Menace and ended up using it as the Sith witches for The Clone Wars.

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I still think this thread belongs in Streaming not TV...

11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    This is where we discuss things like Stranger Things, Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, the Mandalorian, the Marvel Disney+ shows... As time goes on, all event TV shows seem to be made for streaming, and the end of broadcast and cable is nigh. I'd be happy leaving this where it is.

Doug Wallen, SamT, holtge and 5 others like this.
  12. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Agreed. By my count there isn't a single discussion thread in that subforum (which I admit I didn't even know existed until these posts).

SamT, Sean Bryan, joshEH and 2 others like this.
  13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I think of the whole Media section as being about purchased media, so the Streaming and Digital Media forum is about digital copies bundled with discs and digital purchases from Vudu, iTunes, Amazon, etc.

On the other hand, I think of the subscription streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, CBS All Access, Prime Video, etc.) as being little different than a cable or satellite subscription.

14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I disagree as we talk about other streaming shows in this forum. I see this as no different than those other shows like Hanna, The Boys and Stranger Things.

holtge, Josh Dial and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  15. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
  16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

That seems about perfect, timewise. Far enough after Revenge of the Sith for the Empire to have become largely entrenched, and for Luke to be a school age kid instead of a baby or a toddler. But far enough before A New Hope that they don't have to try and make Ewan McGregor look like Alec Guinness.

The nice thing about a limited series instead of a tentpole film is that the stakes don't have to be as high. The fate of the galaxy doesn't need to be at stake. We don't need space battles and multiple planets and all of that. It can be Obi-Wan doing the right thing for a small group of locals being preyed upon by another malicious group of locals. All while working covertly to keep Luke off of the Empire's radar.

Tino, holtge, joshEH and 3 others like this.
  17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

18. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    They said all the scripts are written and the show films next year. Maybe we’ll see it in 2021.

19. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    They should have an episode where he practices a Krayt Dragon call three entirely different ways before giving up.

Philip Verdieck and Greg.K like this.
  20. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    That seems like a good target because it will be a big Star Wars event to keep people sated in between trilogies.

Back before Solo opened, there were rumors that Stephen Daldry was signed to direct an Obi-Wan movie. I feel like this news essentially confirms that the plans for the movie were real and got reshaped into the streaming series after Solo bombing caused them to pull the plug on standalone movies. I wonder if Daldry is still going to do it as a series or whether they will get someone else.

Daldry is attached to direct Wicked for Universal which currently has a release date penciled in of December 22, 2021. However, that movie has been in development for ages and was pushed back several times already. At least from what we know right now, it does not appear to be any closer to starting soon than it has been before. If Wicked does materialize for the 2021 date, Daldry is probably out for Obi-Wan, but if there is another delay for Wicked, it's possible he could do Obi-Wan first.

Agreed. Although this was announced as a limited series and I don't believe they would necessarily be able to get McGroger for a huge, years-spanning commitment, it also means that there is enough space before A New Hope that they could probably do a second season down the line if he was willing. If it's set seven years after Sith, then obviously the intention is not to bring him to a point where it's a few days before A New Hope and the entire story of his life on Tattooine has been covered in the series, which is a good thing. But it gives them some wiggle room to do more than just this later if all involved parties wish to, and that's smart.

Philip Verdieck likes this.