What's new

Obesity tax? (1 Viewer)

Dean Martin

Stunt Coordinator
http://www.forbes.com/taxes/2004/03/...02twinkie.html

Check this out, several states are looking to start taxing junk food to get America to slim down, (which hasn't worked for Cigarettes and Alcohol btw) which is fine in that I'm not overweight but my first thought is that there are enough taxes and this is a lame excuse for the government to cash in on people being overweight.
But the big problem here is they want to EXTEND it to VIDEO GAMES! As if Video games are directly related to obesity. That means that they are trying to STIFLE that industry!

It may not seem like a lot but I for one will be calling my congress people.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Stupid idea. What if a videogame is so good you forget to eat? You will actually LOSE weight!

Taxing videogames is a DEincentive to make good ones, dammit. And people will get even more plump.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Ok, they can tax games, but as long as they tax tv, movies, books, music, and anything else that you might conceivably use while sitting still.

If you really want to protest though, why not start throwing games into the harbour? :)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
We already pay sales tax (in Washington state) for candy, snack foods, and some beverages (ie. pop, sports drinks, bottled tea). Our sales tax in Seattle is almost 9% by the way.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Sales tax and fat tax are different thigns. Is it not common for all "non-essential" food products to be taxed (going from the example of candy, snack foods, & some beverages? I really don't know.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious what foods other than "junk" could be sold in vending machines. I remember in junior high (back in the 1970's) our scholl got an apple machine and kids would buy apples just to throw at each other (actually, bullies would buy them to throw at me). The other apples would just sit there and rot.

This just sounds like another dumb-ass NY tax idea (they keep taxing the poor so they can keep giving tax breaks to the rich).

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Typical governmental crap.

What's wrong with being fat anyways? I've never had a problem getting a girlfriend (they call me their "big fuzzy bear pillow") and I stay warm in the cold Florida winter. ;)

I say we put a tax on footballs and make an anti-bullying program! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks