'Obese' news reports...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Nov 4, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

First of, am I alone in hating that word?

But these news reports about overweight people get on my nerves too. Of course, they always take an 'extreme closeup' type look of the persons gut walking along the sidewalk. Something about that just bugs me. At least get a shot of the entire person, if they don't want to show their face from the front, show them from the back.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Um, Neil, I'm not quite sure what you're saying. That you are offended by the use of the word "overweight" in news reports? And by unflattering shots of heavier people on news broadcasts?

3. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Well, as Americans get heavier I think we will only see more. I think they take those particular shots to maximize the effect. The statistics are starting to get a little scary when we have 2-3 times the percentage of "spacially robust" individuals [​IMG] than the rest of the world.
    As bad as the "O" word is I found the Thai word to be even worse. Their word for fat is "Bumpui" (pronounced Bumpooee). I just started dieting and exercising in September and am down 30lbs so far. Unfortunately I still have about 40-60lbs to go before I don't hear the "B" word from my kids [​IMG]
    Kenneth

4. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Neil, I don't find this type of news reporting to be exclusive to coverage on obesity. The media likes to sensationalize everything and airing a closeup of someone's jiggling belly certainly fits that criteria.

5. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    What gets me is that the 24hr cable nets, always have a report on obesity (I hate the word too), and it's always shown around lunchtime.

6. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Sign of the times. Although, I agree that the particular style of reporting is annoying.