What's new

Oasis - "Heathen Chemistry", new album due July 2 (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Anybody interested in the new album? Having heard the first single "The Hindu Times", my interest is still high. The most recent single "Stop Crying Yer Heart Out" should be arriving on my doorstep this week.

Sarah Temple

Agent
im a very big oasis fan. my favorite is still "definetly maybe", though. oasis themselves dont really like "whats the story morning glory?" but i personally love it. "be here now" is also pretty good, but i like "standing on the shoulders" too. im very excited to hear what they've come up with now. i like that the guys are cleaned up, and that Liam sort of stopped acting like a jerk.... wel at least for some of the time. haha...

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Nah, Liam's still a jerk... Just a sober one ;) Noel does seem nicer, though. Then again he was always the more level-headed one.
I'm very much looking forward to the album. "The Hindu Times" has a sound that's very reminiscent of "Definitely Maybe", which I take as a good sign. "Standing on the Shoulder..." didn't really do it for me, aside from a couple of songs. They remain my favorite "current" band, though. Even at their worst, 95% of the competition still can't touch them.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Gonna remove this preliminary review till Iget to hear the whole thing, which should be later today.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

"Heathen Chemistry", the first Oasis album in roughly two years sees chief songwriter Noel Gallagher sharing his duties with the entire band (minus Alan White.)
"The Hindu Times" is a great opening track. Featuring a rocking eastern style guitar riff (how often do you hear that?) and a chorus that you just want to shout along with.
"Force of Nature" debuted a few years ago in the British film "Love, Honour and Obey". It's looped drum beat reminds you of Iggy Pop's "Nightclubbing". It's bad ass swagger with a little guitar distortion and I love it.
Noel's vocals suit it just fine.
Gem Archer's only contribution to the album is the surprisingly strong "Hung In A Bad Place". I really didn't know what to expect from Gem but this is a great rock song. I've never been a big fan of Liam Gallagher's style of singing but he really matches up quite nicely to this track, I especially like how he sings the title, I know that sounds like a simple thing to say but it's what makes the song catchy.
Wow, I don't know how to approach "Stop Crying Your Heart Out". Easily the best song on the album. It begins with a melancholy piano followed by Liam's plaintive wail...sounding full of knowing sadness yet an underlying positive feeling. Noel's writing on this track brings back that wonderful vibe from 1995's "Don't Look Back In Anger". One of the biggest compliments I can give a song is that it made me cry and that's exactly what happened when I first heard this track (ironic considering the title eh?) Beautiful.
Liam's first self-penned track for the album is "Songbird". A fairly simple accoustic song and I must say, I've never heard Liam sing like this. He usually has a sneering, whine but he actually sings this time and makes me wish he'd go this route more often. "Songbird" makes for pleasant listening.
Another Noel track is "Little By Little" (he sings this one as well.) It comes across as a sure single release with a chorus that's easy to sing along with. While Noel handles the vocals with confidence, the song certainly breaks very little new ground. The song seems to copy off of several of Noel's older tracks, the ending is reminiscent of "Champagne Supernova" for example. A decent song but eerily familar.
The lone Andy Bell track comes in the form of an instrumental called "A Quick Peep". Honestly, it's a waste of space...a true album filler. Unlike "The Swamp Song", "A Quick Peep" meanders along, going nowhere.
Noel's "(Probably) All In the Mind" is an easily forgettable composistion and likely should've been relegated to B-side status. "Idler's Dream" (the B-side to "The Hindu Times" single) should be on the album instead. Unfortunately....two poor songs in a row and can be skipped past as you won't be missing anything worthwhile. Unremarkable.
"She Is Love", a rather sappy title for a rock band. Noel sings this one but even that cannot save it from mediocrity. This is one of those songs you see in a romantic comedy, playing along to a montage of a couple in love on a date. However it's a listenable misfire.
When people claim Oasis rip-off the Beatles, I usually scoff but when you hear Liam's "Born On A Different Cloud" you have to stop and remind yourself it isn't John Lennon singing. I'm not saying that's a bad thing mind you, just a bit jarring. The song has great atmosphere with subtle vocal distortion and a mid-tempo beat. Probably the "coolest" offering from this album.
Liam gets to end the album with "Better Man", which comes off as an unreleased Kula Shaker piece. It's a bit of a disappointment considering some of the epics that capped off previous Oasis albums like "Champagne Supernova" and "The Masterplan". I'm not saying I don't like it, I'm just saying it would've been more fitting to place it somewhere in the middle. "Stop Crying Your Heart Out" would've ended the album on a huge high note.
There is a "hidden" track roughly 28 minutes after "Better Man" ends. Of course it's untitled and deservedly so as it serves no point, it's just there. Minus a few so-so tracks, this is a fairly strong album with several high notes struck. Liam's songwriting is much better than "Little James" (off the previous studio album) seemed to indicate. Gem added a kicking song and Noel (mostly) delivered the goods. However, if Andy Bell's "A Quick Peep" (and his B-side to the "Stop Crying Your Heart Out" single - "Thank You For the Good Times") represents the best he can give Oasis, I'd rather he just stick to playing bass.
Regardless of that minor quibble, "Heathen Chemistry" is a good album but just short of great.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Thanks for the review, Michael. I went on an on-line shopping spree earlier this week and ordered the CD. Then, I was out shopping yesterday and saw this prominently displayed all over Stockholm. I wanted to buy it then, but since it's already paid for and in the post, I'll wait.

I've heard Hindu Times a few times (classic Noel), and saw the Stop Crying Your Heart Out video just once on MTV, and both sound strong. If this album can be compared favourably to Morning Glory (their masterpiece), then it should be a good one.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Just wanted to add that the hidden track on the album is yet another meandering instrumental piece. 2 instrumentals on one album is a bit much I think.

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
They should have included the great Japanese bonus track "You've Got the Heart of A Star" as a part of the standard album tracklist instead of "A Quick Peep" or "Little By Little." I also would have included the B-side "Shout It Out Loud" instead of "(Probably)All In The Mind." The only problem with that would be that Noel would then have the lead vocal on just about half of the album tracks, and that is a bit much. Still, they are just better songs and would have made Heathen Chemistry a much more memorable album than it is.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've had an interest in Oasis since discovering that the brat shopping in Sifters record store (namechecked on the first album) on the Saturday mornings when I was doing my weekly shopping was none other than Mr Gallagher.

I used to obediently buy each new album, but this week gave them away to be sold at our local school's summer fete. I just got fed up with them. The first album has some good songs but the later albums IMHO are just progressively worse imitations of stuff we've heard umpteen times before, only better done. Plus I find their offstage antics offensively boorish. I know other folks still think they're wonderful, so I guess I'm alone in my dislike.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I sort of side with Andrew here in my thoughts on Oasis. I think Definately Maybe is a good Album, and their B-Sides from back in the day of that albums release were also rather good. After the hype of their 'What's the Story, Morning Glory' album, I think things went to their heads somewhat.

You have to question Noel Gallagher some times (incidentaly, he lives up the road from me here). He touted Be Here Now as their best back in the day, he slated it come time of their forth album, and continues to do so to this day, and he did much the same fo Standing on the Shoulders of Giants. I can't help but see him trashing Heathen Chemistry in a year or so's time.

Back when their second album hit, the country loved the band, it was hip and trendy to like the band. These days, it's hop and trendy to trash them. Well, I am certainly no trendy hipster that's for sure, but their last two efforts on albums, and now a third in Heathen Chemisty, leave a lot to be desired.

Stop Crying Your Heart Out plain bugs the hell out of me, and reminds me instantly of Slide Away. For me, it was one of the worst tracks on the new album (which I borrowed, but have decided not to buy anytime soon). I liked Little by Little, but even that we've felt before. For me, it's really a rather tedious album.

I had fun seeing them at Knebworth in 96, I had fun seeing them at Wembley in 2000, but I'm done. I'd hoped their fifth album would restore some interest, but it's sadly only served to do the opposite.

Dan

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
. I know other folks still think they're wonderful, so I guess I'm alone in my dislike.
Nope, you're not alone. I got bored of them around the time of Moring Glory... I think the amount of attention & hype they got in the British press had a lot to do with it - I just got bored of hearing about them & their oh so fun antics, and at the same time, their music didn't go anywhere new. They genuinely seemed to have no clue as to what to do next musically.

I find it a little interesting that the Brits in this thread are bored of them, and the 'foreigners' aren't - again, I think this shows the amount of attention they received in the UK has had a negative impact on their 'careers'...

I haven't heard anything from Heathen Chemistry yet - it's not getting any airplay on the 'alternative' radio stations I listen to hear in Texas. I doubt I'll end up buying it.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I find it a little interesting that the Brits in this thread are bored of them, and the 'foreigners' aren't - again, I think this shows the amount of attention they received in the UK has had a negative impact on their 'careers'...
Curiously enough, at the time of their second album, the Brit music press was full of how the UK had taken Oasis to their hearts, but America was immune to their charms. I'm not normally all that influenced by public opinion re: bands. E.g. I like Robbie Williams (largely unknown in the USA apart from his Sing When You're Swinging album) *in spite* of the publicity. However, Oasis even at their peak struck me as over-hyped and not terribly original. Which I guess are the over-hyped and unoriginal comments everybody makes about them.

Getting back to the thread, I'd agree with the general tenor of comments. If you like Oasis, you'll at the very least tolerate the latest album, but if you're not a fan, then this latest product is unlikely to convert you.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The new album is OK. Certainly better than the last two mediocre efforts. It sounds nicer too. Be Here Now sounds like it's been put through a mincer. Come to think of it, I don't like the production on any of the Oasis albums. But anyway...

It's an OK album, but I think the band are never going to recover from the post-Morning Glory decline. There are much better bands of that ilk still producing good music (Ocean Colour Scene) but without all the offstage bullshit that goes with the brothers Gallagher.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Just got the new CD today. As with the past few albums, the first impression is favourable. Gotta give it more listens to see if it's another Morning Glory (their best, IMO), or Be Here Now (their biggest mess, again IMO).

For the curious, the bonus track starts about 33.14 into the final track (Better Man).

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Bought it on a long road trip through the desert.Listened to it a lot and liked it.
Not as good as their 1st & 2nd but a big improvement over the last.
Listening to Paul Wellers 'Days of Speed' right now; great album!
Saw him do it live in LA...just as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks