What's new

OAR vs P&S: Flash tutorial (1 Viewer)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
That I don't know. The self-executing Flash things tend to be large but then they tend to be complex too. However, I believe MTV's Brit Election piss-take thing was still only about 1MB and had loads of stuff in it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I downloaded it, changed the extension as Ryan suggested. Then I right-clicked on the icon, chose "Open With" from the resulting menu, then checked the box next to "Always Use This Program To Open These Files", then found and double-clicked on "Internet Explorer" on the list of applications. Now when I double left-click on the OAR.SWF icon, it always comes straight up.

By the way, this will be an issue for anyone who you hand a floppy disk to with this on it. They won't have a clue to to the above procedure. A "readme.txt" file explaining it *might* solve the problem, for those who ain't dumbasses.

Ryan, your tutorial is excellent as always. Question:

In it, you say "the first accomodation I'm going to demonstrate for you is Pan and Scan".

You never get to a 2nd accomodation. I presume you mean "Open Matte".

Any plans to add that to the existing demo? I have some great screen caps from both versions of A Fish Called Wanda, if you want to use them. Of course, it's got the best demo of the problem (John Cleese wearing pants when the matte is taken off, and he's supposed to be nude).

But perhaps Wonka or Cats & Dogs (more classic or more recent a hit) are better examples.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Ryan, I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of saving your Flash movie as a self-executing EXE file. This is so that others without a Flash player/plugin can play your tutorial on their PC.
Link Removed (628KB)
(It might be more helpful if you right-click the above link and choose "Save As" to store it somewhere on your computer.)
As you can see, the file size is pretty decent considering the file includes the Flash player. If you want me to take it down from my site, please email me and I'll do so right away.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
Great job! My only comment is that the tutorial implies that the only way that a film is modified for televisions is through pan and scan. To be fair, you should also demonstrate Open Matte and Super-35. You might also want to mention that not every movie was filmed in widescreen, and as such the OAR on those films is in fact 4:3.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Although Open Matte and Super 35 would give a more complete picture, I fear that they would a) make this overly complicated and b) confuse the novices too much. I'd leave that stuff out--though maybe stick in a weasel word or two about 'many movies'. :)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Ryan, I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of saving your Flash movie as a self-executing EXE file.
I don't mind, on one condition: Tell me how you did it. :D
I've downloaded the exe and will put a copy my own site along with a link to "Download this presentation."
Everyone, feel free to distribute this, put it on your own site for others to view/download, whatever. As long as it's unmodified, I don't care how many people you give it to. You don't have to ask my permission. :)

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a way to make that self-contained flash file mac-compatible as well? An .exe is all well and good, but there are those oddballs like me that use Macs...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks