OAR vs P&S: Flash tutorial

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Wright, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Finally, my web site is back online, including the OAR vs. P&S Flash tutorial. This is the original tutorial; I am still working on the expanded edition. (On that note, I'm in need of a little material. If anyone knows where I can find the following, please drop a note here: (1) ~10 good screenshots showing examples of pan & scan butchering; (2) ~30-40 good widescreen screenshots of various movies.)
    The original tutorial is at:
    http://www.ryanwright.com/ht/oar.shtml
    Feel free to use it as much as is necessary to convert the ignorant in society, to show the truth about pan & scam, and to promote peace on earth and goodwill towards men (and you HT lovin' women, too).
    I've had an interesting December and have not had nearly as much time as I needed to finish my various projects, otherwise the new tutorial would be done by now. I don't have a new date of completion but really hope to finish it before February. As soon as it's ready, I'll post it for all to see. In the meantime, enjoy the original. [​IMG]

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Pretty nice. Two things you might want to modify though:

1. I think there should be a comma after "or panning"

2. Don't say that widescreen movies "shrink it down". I think there's a better way of saying it and it's not entirely true, as a 1.85:1 film surely isn't 'shrunk down' on my 16:9 set.

3. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

4. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

How big is the file? If it's under 1.4, it would be awesome to put on diskette's to distribute.

5. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Outstanding job! And I agree this would be great to have on a disk.

6. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Excellent job.

One technical critique. I would switch the layering of the movie image you use and the text. Move the movie layer above the text layer so that when you slide the movie image down to the 4x3 screen it goes over the text instead of the text being shown on top of the movie image. It isn't anything major but it would look a little cleaner and it is an easy fix.

Again great job.

7. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

I'm sorry I just had to post again. I am VERY impressed. You did a really great job. I will agree change the text layering. I am amazed with what people can do on web pages. If possible I sure would like to have this on a disc. If it's to big for a disc would it be small enough if you remove the sound?

8. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Very nice job! That's the kind of demonstration they need at the start of a dvd. There is a lot of people I would like to show this to, however it just so happens that they do not have a computer. [​IMG] I've shown the widescreen.org material. But I think this flash presentation would better commuicate the importance of oar/widescreen.
    Jon

9. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Ryan;

That was simply wonderful. You deserve a big handshake from OAR advocates the world over.

I would also like to be able to download the animation onto my computer, for instant access whenever I need it.

10. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

This is a very nice demonstration, much like the Widescreen demo on Die Hard! Very cool!

11. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

12. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    There is a new flash demonstration at the new widescreen.org, that is really good.

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

We simply cannot have enough resources about this issue, and hats off to you for making such a commendable effort. Too, the advice you're receiving here is helpful and valid.

14. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Very nice, though of course being British I object to the obmination that is 'differently than'. Differently to! [​IMG]

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am one of those that was been bugging you for this new tutorial. Glad to see the orginal back online and I lookd forward to the upcoming one.

16. stewart borland

stewart borland Stunt Coordinator

Super visual explanation - thanks. So much more pweful than words!

However - a problem.

I downloaded the file (knowing that I already have the player) but it wouldn't work - Windows just kept asking for what to run the program with. So I downloaded it from your link and it still won't run.

I have changed the name as you said (and as soon as I did it recognised what it was for on the icon) but it won't play it???

Could WIndows XP be the reason? Any thoughts (apart from 'I'm useless') appreciated.

17. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Great presentation!

18. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Hmmmm, not sure on the problem. XP should work OK. Did you try opening it in Internet Explorer?

If anyone else has problems opening this file, please post them here.

19. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

OK here is my constructive critique, because you have truly done an excellent job here...

what size would it be if you stripped the audio out of it?

could it be slowed done and have buttons that allow you to go to the next section instead of streaming it? my computer doesn't have audio and I had trouble keeping up with the reading (slow reader I guess) and following the text presentation.

you really have done an excellent job. if removing the audio could bring it down to 1.4mb, we could consider distributing these things on a big basis.

i guess my last tiny complaint is the star wars scene you use to illustrate pan scan isn't the best example. mainly because the guy on the right has his back turned and joe 6 could say, i don't care about that guy anyway. a scene where the entire 2.35 is utilized by active actors would be truly excellent.

20. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

He said it was onlyl 245K! That's well under 1.4MB!