What's new

OAR vs P&S: A Helpful Analogy for J6P? (1 Viewer)

Michael_UK

Stunt Coordinator
I have a much much much beter way of explaning it........

The Michael Note example.

You go to J6P and pull out a note ($$$£££ whatever) out of your wallet and then you fold the note in half so the two flap parts meet in the center of the note, then I turn the note around and say to J6P this is what you see but streched onto your television, this is Pan and Scan, then I unfold the two halfs showing the full note picture infomation and say this is widescreen.

This seems to work by showing them what they are missing....

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
No, no! Let's make it complete!
- 1/2 the picture
- 1/2 the extras
- 1/2 the length of the movie (just end it somewhere in the middle)
- 1/2 the audio track (maybe just the left channel or something)
- 1/2 the color depth (if black-and-white, reduce the brightness/contrast 50%)
- 1/2 the cover art
If they're going to be such morons that they want a partial destruction of a film maker's vision, they might as well make the desctruction complete instead of [ahem] 1/2-assed!
:D

LarryH

Supporting Actor
What gets my goat is that they insist on referring to these hack-jobs as "full screen" or "standard" format. They should be described as "partial-screen" or "substandard." Where is truth in packaging? I say they should be required to state exactly what percentage of the image you are getting - for example, 56.6% of a 2.35:1 movie.

(In the case of open-matte: oh good grief, just forget I brought this up!)

Barry S

Stunt Coordinator
My analogy of choice (which I came up with) is this.

Suppose you're at a museum, and you're taking a photo of DaVinci's The Last Supper (a very wide painting), would you get close up so that you can only see the middle of the painting, or stand back so that you can fit the whole thing in the photo? The answer seems obvious.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Not to be a jerk, but my friend has a SMALL 20 inch TV, and it really does suck to watch widescreen movies on it. What good is watching a movie if you have to sit an inch from the TV???

Brian Crowe

Stunt Coordinator
Just to clarify things Shad, you're saying that your friend has a DVD player hooked up to a 20" screen? And VHS is not an option because...?

Just curious.

~Crowe~

RobR

Second Unit
Likewise, it does really suck to drive a Ferrari 360 Modena on a set of Kumho 185/75-14 tires.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Just to clarify things Shad, you're saying that your friend has a DVD player hooked up to a 20" screen? And VHS is not an option because...?
Exactly. On a monitor that size you won't notice all the improvements that DVD can offer, even a MAR transfer that fills the screen. If you don't like OAR, toss the DVD player out the window and go buy the movie on VHS.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks