What's new

OAR vs. MAR dvd? (1 Viewer)

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I saw in the weekly price roundup of dvds that some were sold in both OAR and MAR versions, with a note to choose the right one.

What is the difference and which is the "right" one?

Thanks,
BGC

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
I don't think there is really a right or wrong in this area. Some people prefer to have their 4:3 ratio TV screen filled up (i.e. MAR) even though you are losing some of the picture.

I prefer OAR because I can see the entire movie. Also, keep in mind that one of these days, you may have a 16:9 ratio display (if you don't already), in which case you will have to zoom in on your MAR movies or else you will have bars on the sides.

By the way, if you didn't already know:
MAR = modified aspect ratio (formatted to fit a 4:3 TV)
OAR = original aspect ratio (the entire picture, as was intended, in its original format)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

According the the HTF's mission statement, there is a right and wrong. Since the HTF strives to recreate the theater experience at home, OAR is "right" and MAR is most certainly "wrong".

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I'd heard widescreen and anamorphic before, but never seen those 2 abreviations. I always buy the widescreen version, even for my 27" Toshiba.

BGC

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler

Yes, and I'm sure 99% of the people who visit this forum prefer OAR. I was just pointing out that it doesn't much matter which is the "right" way if it's not what you prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks