What's new

OAR Question: Lumet's "Q & A" (1 Viewer)

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Okay, so about two years ago I buy a copy of the original HBO Home Video DVD release of Sidney Lumet's Q & A. It didn't say anywhere on the case that it was widescreen but I figured "what the hell, it'll probably never see the light of day in OAR anyhow." I get back to my apartment, pop it in the player and lo and behold! it's widescreen (anamorphic 1.78:1)! :)

Now, this last Tuesday I walk into Best Buy and, what's sitting there on the shelf? -- a new Fox Home Video release of Q & A. Only this time the package states that it is indeed 16x9 widescreen and 2.35:1 to boot!

I check the IMDB (which, I know, is not the most reliable resource in the world but I couldn't think of anywhere else to look) and find that they say the theatrical aspect ratio for Q & A is 1.85:1. :frowning:

Needless to say, I am muy mucho confused. I suppose the thing could have been filmed Super 35 and then matted to whatever the heck you want, but what was the actual ratio it was projected at back in 1990? I don't know of a single other Lumet film that was done in anything other than 1.66:1 or 1.85:1.

Anyone have any idea? I'll trade up if the new Fox DVD is the true, correct AR but would like to make sure before I go lay down $10.00 (yes, it's pretty cheap) for a movie I already own. :confused:

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm pretty sure that Q&A is 1.85:1. In fact, I can't think of a Sidney Lumet film in a wider AR.

M.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Decided to just bite the bullet and get the new DVD -- figured I'd give one of them to my Dad since he really liked the movie when I showed it to him.

Anyway -- turns out the DVD is mislabled. The aspect ratio of the new Fox Q & A DVD is NOT 2.35:1. It looks to be exactly the same as the old HBO version (1.78:1 or 1.85:1). Transfer looks nearly identical, too.

So, final verdict: If you already own the HBO disc, don't bother with the new one as it appears to be the exact same disc (transfer, audio, total lack of extras) with new packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks