OAR of The Thin Blue Line?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Al Stuart, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Al Stuart

Al Stuart Stunt Coordinator

I was watching this fantastic documentary on IFC a few days ago, something I have had on LD for many years. I'm aware that IFC shows it a lot, but this is the first time I'd seen them show it letterboxed. My LD is 1.33, and IMDB lists the OAR at 1.37. From watching the widescreen version, it appears to be matted and not spherical, with a lot less headroom than I was used to (and it does look a bit better for that reason) and I didn't notice any new visual information, though I have seen it quite a few times and probably have learned all that I could from its story.

However, DVDlaser says in their review, "Even the slightest cropping, however, damages the footage depicting documents and headlines. Early on, for example, key dates are cut off the right edge of the screen, and it isn't until later in the film that the disc viewer can verify the chronology of events."

Since the film has a lot of newspaper clippings in close-up, I thought he might be referring to things like this. But Morris does not always show the complete newspaper clipping even in the letterboxed version, so I don't know if it was supposed to look that way.

IFC is showing the film again on Friday, April 9 at 10:00 AM (EST), but does anyone know how it was supposed to be seen? I'm aware it played in the theater, but a lot of the interview footage could have been shot in 16mm.

Unfortunately, despite Morris finally winning a well desrved Oscar, no one seems to be itching to release his films, even though I just saw A Brief History of Time on Discovery HD, and it looked great, so the material is out there. The NYC library system even carries 16MM prints of Gates of Heaven and Vernon, Florida which I have watched myself, so there should be no issue making a DVD of them.

2. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

I, too, am curious about the intended aspect ratio of the film. More importantly, I want to know why there is no DVD for this movie yet!!!! [​IMG]

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'll take your LD off of your hands for you, Al [​IMG]

I'm praying that this sees a release soon with Fog of War making it's appearance on DVD.

4. Al Stuart

The movie is on IFC right now, and they are showing it letterboxed. Some other opinions in how well balanced it looks would be welcome.

Matt, I would be interested.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

YGPM, Al.

6. jon_farthing

jon_farthing Agent

Just watched the fullscreen version of this on Filmfour in the UK. The left and right of headlines etc. were cropped off making it somewhat frustrating. I'd guessit was originally shot in a wider aspect ration because of this, but I dont have any concrete info. Also Filmfour also makes an effort to show films in the OAR wherever possible.

7. Al Stuart

Actually the cropping off of the sides of some of the newspaper headlines is the way the film was shot. It's apparent even in the widescreen version that Morris did this by design.

Matt, trying to figure out what it's worth.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Okay. Let me know when you find something.