OAR of The Sorrow and the Pity?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rain, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Rain

Rain Producer

I recently watched this magnificent documentary on the Image DVD.

It struck me as odd that the DVD presents the film in what appears to be a matted transfer. It looks to be opened up to expose slightly more than what a 1.66:1 matted film would look like.

However, given that this is a documentary, and one that utilizes tons of stock footage (which presumably would have been 1.37:1 or so), I'm surprised this film isn't presented in a 1.37:1 AR. In fact, some of the stock footage is cropped pretty tightly on the top of the frame.

I know that this film was made around 1969-1970 and was originally intended for French television.

Anyone have any idea if the matting is correct for this film? On the one hand, like I said, it seems like it should be 1.37:1. On the other hand, why would Image present it matted if it shouldn't be?

(IMDB lists no OAR for this film)

2. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I can't say that I know for certain, but my understanding is Woody Allen (one of the biggest supporters of this picture) was involved in this getting onto DVD in the first place, and I can't imagine he'd let it get on disc in the wrong aspect ratio. Perhaps it's windowboxed?

3. Rain

Rain Producer

If it were windowboxed, I wouldn't have started this thread. [​IMG]

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The reason I ask is my television has a lot of overscan on the sides, and sometimes windowboxed movies look like they're the just standard black bars (but very thin). But if you've got minimal overscan, that's not it.

5. Rain

Rain Producer

Ah, I see what you mean, Mark. But, no, that's definitely not it.

We're talking about virtually 1.66:1 letterboxing here...just open a smidgen more.