What's new

OAR of 'Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer'? (1 Viewer)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I saw this title mentioned in the 'Comprehensive Non-OAR List' over here, so I guess it isn't 1.37:1, but does anybody know what the OAR is of this film?

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I believe it is 1.33:1 or 1.37:1 ... the last time I raised the issue, Steve Tannehill and a few others chimed in and said that the current DVD is OAR.

Also, my DVD doesn't have any audio synching problems as some people have reported.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Also, on the DVD there is an interview with director John McNaughton and he says that the financial backers behind the film were home video guys, which might explain why it was shot that way.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I would think it would be fairly easy to tell by watching the film whether it was intended to be matted or not (assuming that if it's not OAR, it's open matte).

Anyway, since you guys brought this up, I'm curious to know how the image quality is. I've heard it's awful, but I can't remember from where, so I have no idea if that's credible.

Plus the fact that, if it was a low budget film, it could just look "bad" owing to the quality of the film stock not any real problems with the transfer.

What say you to that?

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I love this film (scary, huh?) and I can find no fault with the current DVD. The video is probably as good as it's going to get. The audio is decent. Like I said, I don't have any synch problems on my player. I don't know if this means there was an unannounced repressing or if the DVD has problems with certain players. As far as extras go, the interview with the director is good. As good as a commentary track, he goes through the entire life of the film, from conception to release.
If you want a review that has a bit more detail, I basically agree with DVD Authority's: http://www.dvdauthority.com/henrykiller.asp
Side note: Henry Lee Lucas, the serial killer who the film was loosely based on, was the only person on Death Row to be pardoned by George W. Bush, when he was governor of Texas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks