OAR in newspaper column

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Brantley, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

I didn't have a great deal of room to get into the issue, but in my daily newspaper television column Saturday, I delved just a bit into the issues of OAR and widescreen programming on TV. In case anyone is interested, the short column can be found at...
    http://www.al.com/tv/mobileregister/...1191418528.xml
    Hope the link works as is, since I haven't had the chance to fiddle much with the new HTF software. The column was accompanied in the paper (Mobile Register) with a wide image of all the superheroes of the new "Justice League" series on Cartoon Network. If the image had been 4:3, they all would not have fit!

2. Brian York

Brian York Stunt Coordinator

Mike -
    I read the column you wrote and linked to...
    The Justice League of America is a comic book series from the '60s(maybe earlier...). DC featured ALL of their "headliner" superheroes as members, so of course Superman is in it.
    The only line-up differences for the TV series I noticed is that Hawkman and Aquaman were both members of the Comic-JLA, and the JLA Green Lantern was the original, not the new African-American person they're using for TV.

3. Mike Brantley

Brian, I wasn't surprised at all that Superman is in the show! I was suggesting that it's to the Man of Steel's credit that his 1950s show was forward-thinking enough to be in color when B&W sets were the norm, and this new show is in widescreen when 4:3 sets are still the norm. Hey, the guy is smart enough to plan ahead. [​IMG]

4. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

The Widescreen version of JL is actually MAR. I'll post the article where Bruce Timm talks about it in a bit.

5. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

heres the article as promised. it's from Comics2film.com.
    Timm Asks Fans To Support Widescreen JL
    Animator Bruce Timm recently told Toonzone.net that wants the new Justice League animated series to have epic feel befitting the teaming of DC Comics greatest heroes. To that end he's designed the show to be seen in a widescreen presentation, with an aspect ration similar to theatrical movies.
    The show is animated as a full-screen presentation and then matted for the wide screen. Timm told Toonzone that he hopes fans will support the widescreen broadcasts and encourage Cartoon Network to continue airing them.
    "...[It] was a major battle to get Cartoon Network to agree to a regularly scheduled widescreen airing," Timm said. "We prepared the show with the widescreen ratio in mind..., and we feel the show just plain LOOKS better that way, the compositions are tighter, more focused, etc....it also helps give the show that 'epic movie' look we were trying to achieve."
    Cartoon Network is airing the show in it's full-screen mode on Monday nights, while the widescreen repeats occur every Sunday at 8:30pm (ET).
    Timm told Toonzone that he things the full-frame presentation works but he'd rather stick with widescreen. "If the ratings just plummet for the widescreen airings, I guess Cartoon Network will just stop airing 'em that way," Tim said. "The best of all possible worlds would be for folks to watch the show BOTH ways, but I realize that's a lot to ask!"
    Toonzone gave it's readers with a comparison of various frames from both presentations of the show. For those and more of Timm's comments visit Toonzone.net.

6. Mike Brantley

Thanks for posting that info, Rob.

If the JL animators are composing their "shots" with widescreen as the intended and preferred aspect ratio, I would say that's the OAR.

Isn't this the same as a director shooting open matte with the intended 1.85:1 theatrical exhibition being considered OAR? Anyway, bravo to Cartoon Network for showing the work the way its creators prefer it to be shown.

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Sounds like OAR to me, too.
    The Justice League originally started with 7 characters: Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman. The next members to join after were Green Arrow, The Atom, and Hawkman (I don't think that order is correct, but the characters should be).
    Team members came and went. At one point their HQ, the JLA Satellite (orbiting Earth), was destroyed. Shortly after, the entire League was dissolved by Aquaman, and then he re-formed it, with no recognizable members except for him.
    Later on, that team, which was pretty weak, was hunted down and pretty much destroyed. There was no JL for a short while, and then a fellow named Maxwell Lord got it re-formed as the Justice League International. Old, prestigious members returned, although sometimes it was old hero names who were now different characters. For instance, Green Lantern was no longer Hal Jordan, it was Guy Gardner (Hal's old backup, and now a full GL himself).
    After the "Crisis on Infinite Earths", DC Comics retro-changed the history of their characters, and therefore the teams they were on. Superman & Batman weren't founding members of the JLA anymore...they were reserve members. The lady founder wasn't Wonder Woman, it was Black Canary. Other aspects of the team's history changed to match up.
    All through it, there was one constant: "The Black Green Lantern" - John Stewart - had never been a member of the JL before. But apparently, there WAS one thing he DID have to do with the Justice League - and their predecessors, the Justice Society. Here's the revised history:

8. Mike Brantley

Wow, Dave! That's an impressive account of the JL history. I'm afraid it has been a while since I bought a comic book, too, mainly because too much of my time and money goes to DVDs -- another expensive pursuit. When comics stopped being "for kids," the prices skyrocketed. The last title I regularly collected was "Sandman," although I have bought some of the "Preacher" compilations since then.

Getting back on topic as much as possible, I hope this series eventually makes it to DVD -- OAR, of course. Someone here has another thread going about X-Men cartoons on DVD. I wish there were more of those. I fondly remember the Phoenix saga in The Uncanny X-Men when I was collecting comics in high school. I think she "died" in #137. I see the animated Phoenix saga is on DVD, so I will try to pick it up soon.