OAR and the Chance to Persuade

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon_S, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

If this is in the wrong forum feel free to move it admins.
    Seeing as I am a college student it was only a matter of time before I had to take a public speaking class. Well I have been in that class now for more than 2 months and am enjoying it. My next speech must be a Persuasive piece approximatley 5 minutes in length. Seeing as HT is a passion of mine, I decided to make my topic OAR and how important it is in home video and DVD. After a quick survey today, I can see my class is pretty split on the topic of OAR. My question is this: what support can I use to make my case the best it can be? Of course I am using the Director's original intent argument. I plan on using the great demo from the Die Hard Five Star Collection DVD as a demonstration of what panning and scanning does to the composition of a shot. Hopefully by next week, there will be about about 15 more OAR supporters in the world. Any help would be appreciated!
    Brandon Smith
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    http://sweb.uky.edu/~btsmit2
    [email protected]

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

If you need an additional demo than the Die Hard example, then you can use the last five minutes of the "Director's Series" supplement included with Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.
    Leonard Nimoy demonstrates pan-and-scan vs widescreen by showing on-screen simultaneously the scene where Gillian is driving the pickup truck, Spock is in the middle, and Kirk is on the other side. Kirk and Gillian are debating, and Spock is just looking from one to the other as each one speaks.
    It makes a splendid example of hearing voices you can't see because the 2nd person's response is too brief to be worth a pan over to them.
    Another possibility, if you want to demonstrate "Open Matte", is to use A Fish Called Wanda. In the chapter stop called "Meet the Johnsons" there is a scene where John Cleese dances around the room naked (nothing is shown of his nether regions; all is carefully hidden).
    The DVD has both FS and WS versions on opposite sides of the same disc, for $9.99 at Best Buy and most other places. The WS version shows a shot of Cleese from the back, apparently naked as is proper.
    The FS side shows more of Cleese from below the waist. For filming that day he was wearing his pants!
    The MGM site itself uses this example to demonstrate why "wider is better". [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer

Brandon-
    You could also get these images put on slides: http://www.widescreen.org/examples.html
    Mark
    [Edited last by Mark Walker on October 30, 2001 at 08:40 PM]
    [Edited last by Mark Walker on October 30, 2001 at 08:41 PM]

4. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Thanks for the great tips guys! Mark I may end up using your Last Supper comment in my speech. That should turn some heads! Thanks again!
    Brandon Smith
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    [email protected]

5. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Cropping the Last Supper? you mean like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Exactly,
    If I could show them those pictures maybe they would look at widescreen in a whole new light. It appears that about half the class falls into J6P territory...including the instructor. I will let you all know how it went next week! Thanks for the help.
    Brandon Smith
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    [email protected]

7. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

This is so bizarre, I had just been working on this exact example to show folks that film is art, and that nobody in their right mind would crop a piece of art. So with this ongoing theme, here's my pics of The Last Supper...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DarrenA
    The Academy Home Theater
    [Edited last by DarrenA on October 31, 2001 at 09:40 PM]