What's new

OAR and IFC (1 Viewer)

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I was previously under the impression that Independent Film Channel (IFC) shows all their movies in OAR. However, I no longer believe that is true. Last night, I watched "Eight Men Out" which I had previously recorded on my PVR. The movie was presented full frame. Previously, I had seen a portion of "The Gods Must Be Crazy". Not only was it presented full frame, but at least the opening 10 minutes was cut from the movie! At first I thought my PVR had simply started late, but even the schedule showed that only 90 minutes was allocated to this movie.

Although IFC shows independent movies you'd be unlikely to see anywhere else, they don't seem to care about artistic integrity, as evidenced by full screen presentations or even abridged versions. What gives?

Fortunately, Sundance Channel (part of the Showtime Unlimited package) seems to show everything in OAR and full-length. I was hoping that IFC would be another channel for OAR presentations, but apparently that is not always the case. I'm disappointed to say the least.

Steve K.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I've also noticed that IFC has started censoring their movies. They have been taking out the swears and whatnot. I don't know what happened because I would enjoy an occasional movie now and then on IFC. TCM is still my favorite.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Tommy- I wasn't aware of that, but somehow it doesn't surprise me. Since IFC and Bravo are sister channels, and since Bravo has "IFC Fridays", it's almost as if IFC is becoming more like Bravo, which has long been censoring movies and showing movies in full-frame rather than OAR.

How a channel can call itself dedicated to the film and arts yet still show bastardized versions of movies is beyond me.

I certainly agree with you about Turner Classic Movies. Showing hundreds of movies per month, almost always in OAR, it's hard to imagine a better channel. I would have to say that of all the channels offered by Dish, that TCM would definitely be my favorite, by a long shot.

Steve K.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I was unaware of IFC's new policy of censorship. And until I get DBS, I won't be able to confirm.

But when I had cable, I was distressed to see that on one evening, when I was eagerly looking forward to the network's showing of Blue Velvet, it was presented in pan-and-scan. Disgusted, I switched channels. Haven't watched much of IFC since then.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I haven't written to complain only because I am not an avid watcher of Independent Films. I am more of a classics kind of guy. However, there used to be an occasional film worth watching. I wish I could remember the last one I saw but it was bleeping out every other word. I am one who tends to get offended by gratuitous bad language in a picture. However, I have the ability to use my remote control to switch stations. I wish that these stations would realize we have the ability to turn it off if we are offended. :frowning:

SteveK

Supporting Actor
And here I was so pleased recently when DishNetwork went 24/7 with IFC. I guess it's time to take it off my "favorites" list. Although I also don't care for excessive profanity, I at least want the option of watching an uncensored movie and certainly want to watch OAR, no exceptions.

I was hoping that the examples I cited were isolated examples, but obviously they're not. Oh well...so much for another "movie" channel.

Steve K.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Now here's something interesting from the IFCTV's web site:
and commercial-free, 24 hours a day.
I could be mistaken and maybe I was on Bravo instead but I could have sworn I was on IFC. I guess the true test would be to watch Marilyn Chambers in Rabid on Thursday night at 11:30 EST and see if it is in fact cut.

Mick Wright

Second Unit
I think I'm going to have to write IFC off. I tried watching Argento's Deep Red and Tenebre this weekend, but the constant on-screen logo screamed IFC SERIAL KILLER CINEMA. It was just too annoying.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Fortunately, Sundance Channel (part of the Showtime Unlimited package) seems to show everything in OAR and full-length.
Sorry, but no they don't. I was very disappointed to find that the Sundance Channel does not show everything in OAR. Inexcusable if you ask me.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
IFC doesn't censor...unless you consider non-OAR censorship...hehe.

As for the non-OAR, they're really inconsistant. Most of the time they don't show OAR, but every now and again they do. They had Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me on last month a few times, and I saw it both non-OAR and OAR...so I have no idea who's making the bonehead, inconsistant decisions. At least AMC has a method to their maddness and shows OAR (usually) after midnight...but IFC is all over the place.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I have seen a lot of movies on IFC in their original aspect ratio. Sometimes they aren't, but I'm suspecting this has to do with licensing and which versions are available to them.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Derek - That's certainly a possibility I hadn't thought about. Still, it's a bit disappointing to see P&S on a channel that urges us to break the Hollywood habit. Also, since IFC is owned by the same company that also owns American Movie Classics, Bravo and WE: Women's Entertainment (and various other non-movie channels), I wonder if OAR is even viewed as a significant issue. I don't see any OAR on Bravo; it's getting more scarce on AMC, and I've never seen it on WE as I flip through the movie channels, although I'll acknowledge that I've never really paid too much attention to Bravo or WE. Since OAR does not appear to be an issue at any of their other channels, I wonder how much of an issue it is for films shown on IFC.

Steve K.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Well, I stand corrected as I watched a little of IFC last night and many *F* bombs occurred so they do not censor. I must have seen Bravo the night everything was beeing "bleeped" out. They do need to get on top of the OAR thing though. Hey, if TCM can do it, so can IFC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks