What's new

Oakley "Juliet" sun glasses, who owns them? (1 Viewer)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I own several pairs of Oakley glasses and my latest is a pair of Juliets. Just wondering who else here has a sunglass "fetish"? If you own these please share your thoughts on them, thanks. :cool:

PS-I have the ice polarized lens w/plasma frames.

Chris Britton

Auditioning
I've had that exact same pair for about three years now. I've been buying oakley's as far back as the frogskin days and in addition to those I've had M frames (frame always broke way to easily), eye jackets, zeros, wires, you name it. By far though, none have stood the test of time like the juliets have.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Thanks for the info Chris. :emoji_thumbsup: BTW-I have had a pair of straight jackets for about that long, they have held up great, IMHO.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
I have a pair of XX metals which I think are close to the Romeo,s. Had them for 5 years. I also have a pair of eye jackets for 7 years and pro m frames for 12 years. I recently sent them to Oakley to be refurbished. Got new lenses and temple pieces and nose piece's etc. for all 3 pair for 140 bucks.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

And now some piece of shit owns them. I was at a regional bowling tournament this past weekend and some a-hole took them off the table. I hope whoever it is gets paid back. 250 freaking bucks.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
which ones are the Juliets? Are those teh ones MJ would always wear. I loved my straight jackets and Fives, but now I am wearing Arnette

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
It's the quality and the service that you get when buying something like that. The XX metals are a titanium frame. I had them for 7 years and had them refurbished last year for 45 bucks. New lenses etc....

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, man...I tend to follow ZZ Top's advice:

When you get up in the morning and the light is hurt your head
The first thing you do when you get up out of bed
Is hit that streets a-runnin and try to beat the masses
And go get yourself some cheap sunglasses

Jon

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
my neighbor bought some atrocious Chanel glasses for $380 at the mall the other day. i told her she'll probably lose them and that she should get an Xbox 360 instead. Two weeks later, I'm right, and she doesnt have an Xbox (which she actually wants) or sunglasses.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Those polarized Juliets with the blue lenses are gorgeous, Todd, and I'd love to snatch em up right away cept for this feeling I have about being 'loyal' to my current Maui Jim polarized shades (sorry, I don't know the name of them... they're not the titanium ones though)

Oakley Spike is another new and cool pair that's out now.

How do the optics in Oakley's rate compared to Maui Jim, Serrengetti, Ray Ban, Revo, and someone mentioned Arnette? I know Oakley has a big section on it's website about "Mad Science", but I'm not sure how they are compared to the rest?

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
I still don't quite get it, maybe someone could post some of the special optical or materials properties of these things to help me understand. I know the cost and working properties of titanium, and it shouldn't make for $100+ sunglasses. I can get an ounce of titanium for about $7 online from metal hobbiest shops, so it's not like it's gold or anything.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

I'm with you there. I'll stick to my $10 sunglasses. I lose them far too often to pay any more than that. Besides, for me expensive sunglasses would just be a hassle. $10 sunglasses allow me to stick them in my pocket, toss them on the ground, and be generally careless with them. I don't want a pair of sunglasses that I have to constantly be careful with.

Besides, I could be standing next to someone with $350 dollar sunglasses and someone with $10 sunglasses and I wouldn't know the difference.

To each his own, I suppose.

EDIT: I see the Oakley Juliet Polarized Plasma Ice here ( http://www.sunglasses-int.com/04-123.html# ), and although they are neat looking, if I saw someone wearing them I wouldn't think they were anything more than what you pick up at Wal-Mart or Target. I'm sure they feel different and are better made, but just seeing them, without holding them, they don't look special.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Oh, I don't doubt they are higher quality than $10 specials. But that wouldn't stop me from abusing and ultimately losing them ;)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I dunno, I suppose once you lost a pair of expensive shades that you had to pay to replace, you would not do it again, or anything expensive for that matter. I have a pair of O "straight jackets" that I have owned for a few years now and that were about $75. I put these things thru hell, cut grass, weedeat, construction, and they still look good, the lens are barley scratched and I don't baby them either.

PS-try this with your $10 glasses :eek:
http://oakley.com/technology/impact_protection/
(play the video!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks