What's new

O.K I've saved for a svs 20-39pci, should I save for the plus? (1 Viewer)

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have enough to order the svs 20-39pci, but I'm wondering if I should keep saving for the 20-39pci+. At first I thought it was way out of budget but I might be able to spend the extra 225.00 or so if I wait a few months.
What should I do?

John

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
How big is your room?

What is your primary use for the sub - music or HT?

How loud is your playback?

Do you commonly suffer from buyer's regret (i.e., "I should have bought the next step up")?

For $225, you get the better dB-12 driver, the better amp (with infinitely variable phase, 4 position SS filter, and 525W), and better / more capable venting that is tunable from 20, to 16, or even 12 Hz.

For me personally, the PC+ was a no-brainer over the PCi because the extra $225 was not a critical issue for me.

For somebody on a really tight budget, in a smaller room, who doesn't like to really blast on playback, the PCi might be perfect. Remember, in its price class, the PCi series takes a back seat to just about no one - my buddy owns a 25-31PCi and it is very, very capable.

Regards,

Ed

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I'll second what Ed said. If you have a good sized room or like to turn it to "eleven" (especially when friends are over) then do yourself a favor and get the +.
My experience - I recently upgraded from 20-39CS/20-39CS+ with a S700 amp to dual 20-39CS+ with a S1000 amp. The difference is staggering in my theater. Before the bass was clean but lacked something. With the dual + and the larger amp the bass has IMPACT! My theater is very open in the back with a bar that allows for additional viewing capacity (great for sporting events) and a 8' opening without a door. The entire room dimensions are approx. 25' L x 17' W and the dual + subs do a great job.
My opinion is to wait a little longer and purchase the PCi+. It is always better to get something a little larger than you need. You then have the ability to grow into it!

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
My opinion is buy now. These guys for sure know what they'r talkign about...but I have a different philosophy your life may end any day - don't push your luck.

-ELmO

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
IMHO, it all depends on whether you have a large room or need/want the extra SPLs.

in my case, my living room is 26 x 13 ft with 9-10ft ceilings, and two open passageways as well. my little 22-31PCi still shakes the walls and is plenty loud enough thank-you-very-much; but I don't listen at reference levels, since I live in an apartment with thin walls, and the SO doesn't like high volumes either.

so if you're in a similar situation as me, don't bother waiting, just get the PCi and enjoy it now.

Jay_E

Stunt Coordinator
How about a compromise. Get a 25-31PC+ and use one port-block to tune it to 20Hz.

Jay

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Or you could watch for a B-stock. I picked up a 25-31PC+ about 2-3 weeks ago. I think they are $50 less. I can't see anything wrong with it at all. But, if you can believe it or not, I still haven't hooked it up. I should be picking up my new receiver this week, so hopefully I'll be able to crank it up then.

Aaron

Sean L

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a 25-31PCi, had SVS tune it to 22HZ and I can tell you firsthand that this sub rocks. I have a large HT room, about 20'x15' w/20' cathedral ceilings, and the 22-31PCi has more than enough HP for me---The Normandy Beach Landing Scene in Saving Pvt Ryan is very, very intense---it shakes the whole damn house!
Here's a few pics of the room setup:
http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...1&ppuser=51722
Regards,
Sean in Nor Cal

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
My great room is 20x30, with vaulted ceiling and an opening in the back to the hallway. This room has my kitchen, dining and living room all together,(if that makes visual sense). My home theater part is on the left 15 feet side of the room though.
I'll probably just keep saving so I have a bigger amp and more tunable options I suppose. Damn I hate to wait though, makes me not wanting to watch any movies without an awesome sub!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks