O.K. brace yourself my widescreen bretheren, check this sight out!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerome Grate, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

First I hope I don't offend anyone but I came across this on another forum and wanted to share it with my favorite place so let the mudslinging begin on http://members.aol.com/Savetele/

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

p.s. let's keep it clean, but I understand your anger.

3. Michael St. Clair

Been there, done that....this site has been around a long time and gets brought up here from time to time.

I still wonder if he's really a proponent of butchery or rather someone who gets a kick provoking knee-jerk reactions.

4. Joey B

Joey B Stunt Coordinator

What the...?

I thought this was a joke but I never got the punchline. Fortunatly, there have only been 10,000 visitors since July 2000. That's less then HALF of the registered users on this forum alone. It is kind of funny if you think about it... Stop the Sensorship! I want to watch my movies on TV!! (where movies are never CUT or SENSORED or MODIFIED...) What a joke.

Joey

5. Ross Waite

Ross Waite Stunt Coordinator

Oh boy...I've seen this site before. All I can say regarding this, is that it brings to mind a saying a sage friend of mine is fond of...

"Ignorance is curable, stupid is forever".

At least I can forgive people who make an informed (albeit wrong, IMO) decision. This guy...simply cannot seem to understand the fundamentals of that which he advocates!

I will say this though...he (or she?) is passionate (militant?) about their cause!

It is probably best to not provoke this person. Nature loves balance. Just as we are devoted to OAR, there must be those who are just as opposed. This is simply an extreme case.

Kinda sad, ain't it?

Just my $0.02 worth...

-Ross

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Now that google has finished cleaning up the deja archives, I recommend you take a look at the historical posts (or is that "comic stylings") of mister Bernard Farber in the various movie and video newsgroups. He had the e-mail address of [email protected] for a while. He mounted quite an aggressive usenet "spampaign" to stop letterbox "censorship". It was all very amusing. He is either a complete moron or the ultimate troll. Bless him either way.
    Regards,

7. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

this cant be serious..at all. I dont think Ive ever heard of someone lobbying against widescreen. most people that are supportive of full frame movies could really give a crap less one wayh or another..its just a preference to them. I think this is someone just trying to bust balls

-Damien

8. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

9. Rain

Rain Producer

Hey, wait until they find out the Earth is round...that might just push them over the edge.

"This straightjacket has been formatted to fit you."

10. Matt_Marlow

Matt_Marlow Stunt Coordinator

That guy is obviously trying to get a rise out of people. I think it's hilarious. And I remember some of his Usenet rants from a couple of years ago. Very funny stuff!

11. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Oh yeah I remember this! I don't know if it's a joke or what.

12. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

Its obviously over the top humor. Just goes on too long...typical of most comedies

13. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

White Plains in the mothaflurkin house!!!
    [​IMG]
    Seen this site in the past and well, the consensus seems to be it's an extensive joke or just too stupid to even waste time commenting on.

14. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Ah, yes. The wonderfully trite ignorance of Bernard J. Farber. Sadly, to those who are wondering, he *is* (or at least was) serious.
    It was not uncommon to see him spouting his rhetoric in alt.video.dvd and alt.video.letterbox a few years ago. But once he was identified as a lawyer from the Chicago area, his rhetoric died very quickly. That's when people started to stop taking him seriously, and he probably realized that his geographic location (now being known) might put him in danger. I know that he really did piss off a LOT of people.
    He also attempted to have widescreen banned under the Americans with Disabilities Act because (as he claimed) widescreen presentations were violating the rights of those with visial problems!!! (No, I'm NOT kidding ... I saw the post myself in one of the disabilities newsgroups when it was pointed out to me!)

15. Scott A.

Scott A. Agent

Geez, I always thought this guy was a troll. a troll with a lot of times on his hands, but just a troll.

You mean to say he was serious, and not just having us on?

S.

16. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

17. Matt_Marlow

Matt_Marlow Stunt Coordinator

I still maintain that he was a "troll". As a troll, the guy was...uh...brilliant. If he was serious, well, he couldn't have been serious. I think he was just someone with too much time on his hands, for one thing.

18. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Give me the simplicity of DOS (in reference to the link above)? Has that guy ever heard of Linux or any of the various flavors of Unix operating systems? That'll give him plenty of command line typing to do. I should know... I use ARC/INFO GIS software on a Sun Unix machine all day long at work.

That guy's pretty amusing.

19. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

So this guy's a lawyer, huh?

Who's he on retainer for? Blockbuster?