What's new

O Brother, Where Art Thou? Is this worth my money? (1 Viewer)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
There's a link to my review down in my sig, if you are so inclined. :)
I liked it better the second time I watched it. The Coens' films tend to get better on repeated viewings. Not as hilarious as The Big Lebowski or simply amazing as Fargo, but a pretty good film nonetheless.
I thought I read or was told by a friend who owns a couple theaters that O Brother, Where Art Thou? is the most financially successful film by the Coens. Apparently O Brother has played smaller areas than it might have because of interest in the soundtrack. (What I'm trying to get at is that it's playing in areas that don't have big cities nearby and ordinarily wouldn't play something quite as esoteric as this.) I (and I think many of us here) tend to be fairly cynical in regard to the general public's taste, but it seems that at least in this case they are proving us wrong.
Oh, and the cinematography looks very accurate compared to what I saw in the theater.
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: The X-Files: The Complete Second Season, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Big Deal on Madonna Street: The Criterion Collection, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Bridges at Toko-Ri

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I too must agree as I watched this today and found this very enjoyable and as noted the dts soundtrack is wonderful
icon14.gif

popcorn.gif

------------------
http://members.telocity.com/todbnla/theater.htm

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
Loved the movie and the dvd. That said, I don't see how this helps you decide if its worth YOUR money.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Yes, I was surprised to hear that 'O Brother' earned about $44M.
I'm slightly more cynical than you Mark, and part of me says that Mr. Clooney's swaggering presence in the film earned it the lion's share of it's $$$$ AND resulted in it showing up in Nowheresville USA. But, there was considerable interest in the soundtrack, you're right. It is also worth noting that it was also their most expensive film, with a budget of ~$25M.

DennisP

Stunt Coordinator
I loved the film when I saw it in the theater. Bought it the day it came out. It's a definite keeper in my opinion
------------------
"I like your style Dude".
"Well, I dig your style too, man. Got that whole cowboy thing goin".

Mick B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mick
It's your typical Coen bro film. It gets better everytime you watch it. I'm not suprised it only did 44m. I don't think it was released nationwide during it's run. It only appeared at the second run houses around here.
Mick

PeggyManson

Auditioning
I haven't seen "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" yet, and will probably rent this one before buying. I guess I am the only person who picks "The Hudsucker Proxy" as my favorite of the Coen Brothers work.
After reading all of your comments on "O Brother . . .", I will check it out as soon as possible, though.
Peggy Manson
Flower Mound, TX

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
RAF, is the color/look IDENTICAL to the theater print or did they tone it done some?
Ryan,
Theater print? You mean they actually still show movies in theaters?
laugh.gif

Seriously, I never saw this in the theater, so I can't answer your question. Perhaps someone else will jump in here.
In fact, the only time I go to a movie theater nowadays is for an occasional premiere. I'm so backed up with movies to watch that time-and-date is not an issue with me. And, in my case, I can't even subscribe to the "there are some movies that have to be seen in a theater to be appreciated" theory because, in my particular case, this just isn't true. Please don't think I'm bragging, because I'm not. I've invested a lot of time and money into my HT and I let the movies come to me rather than the other way around.
This should be the ultimate goal of most HT aficionados.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Pre-knowledge of The Odyssey will only add to your appreciation of this film in much the same way that familiarity with The Big Sleep & other Chandler novels will add to your appreciation of The Big Lebowski. I remember several reviewers declaring the Gulf War references in Lebowski gratuitous, but it was actually a humorous parallel to the "War years" settings of the Philip Marlowe stories.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
It's your typical Coen bro film. It gets better everytime you watch it. I'm not suprised it only did 44m. I don't think it was released nationwide during it's run. It only appeared at the second run houses around here.>>>>>
interestingly enough, 44M is the HIGHEST GROSS EVER FOR A COEN BROS. MOVIE!!
I couldn't believe it either until I read the current EW - this is by far the most successful Coen bros. movie as far as box office goes...Big Lebowski - 17.4M; Fargo 24.5M (very suprising - although remember this was initially treated as an art-house film); Hudsucker Proxy - 2.8M (is this right? I was out of the country at the time...seems to me such an expensive movie would have made a bigger dent, at least on it's opening weekend!). And these numbers reflect the total gross, not opening weekend.
Entertainment Weekly either has the wrong numbers or O BROTHER is their highest grossing film.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I think it's worth your money, even if Ebert & Roeper disagree. I can't believe they both turned thumbs down on this wonderful film.
My recollection of the color pallette I saw in the theater is captured very well on the DVD, not toned down a bit (thankfully).
"Well, the two of us was fixin' to fornicate."
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Pre-knowledge of The Odyssey will only add to your appreciation of this film in much the same way that familiarity with The Big Sleep & other Chandler novels will add to your appreciation of The Big Lebowski. I remember several reviewers declaring the Gulf War references in Lebowski gratuitous, but it was actually a humorous parallel to the "War years" settings of the Philip Marlowe stories.
I can vouch for that. It wasn't until I saw The Big Sleep that I understood the "Brother Seamus" joke in Lebowski.
biggrin.gif

StevenR

Auditioning
I bought this DVD today and had nothing but audio problems. Is this normal? I have a Toshiba SD-9100 and a Denon AVR 5700 receiver (no slouch equipment)
This is the first DVD I have tried that has the silk screening showing through. I also noticed that the coating was sloppy near the spindle, ie it looked sloppy , like you left paint dripping down the side of a can.
Both the DTS and DD tracks would lose synch, in and out. Then I could jump back and it would be ok for awhile.
The picture was fine.
This is the first time out of the 100+ movies I own that I have seen this happen. Any clues?
Steve

DennisP

Stunt Coordinator
Every damn penny of it. This one of my favorite Coen Brother movies. Of course I'm a fan....so it's just my opinion...and I could be wrong.
------------------
"I like your style Dude".
"Well, I dig your style too, man. Got that whole cowboy thing goin".

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
This was a movie which I thought was going to be a hoot from the first trailers I saw of it last fall in the theaters before it hit the big screen.
When I finally went to go see it, needless to say, I loved it--instantly.
I especially loved the music as well--the version of Man of Constant Sorrow never fails to put a smile on my face every time I even THINK about it!!!
The music utilized in the film went a mighty long way toward a tremdous amount of the film's character, IMHO.
And, of course, be it that O Brother, Where Art Thou? came out on DVD in June TWO DAYS BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY...I MADE THE DVD A BIRTHDAY PRESENT FOR MOI!!!!! :)
I have enjoyed it even more in the cozy confines of my home theater ever since!!!!! An ideal present for any occasion, IMHO!!!!! :)
------------------
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

Dawn_R

Grip
Of course I had several reasons for being *supremely* eager and enthused about "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", not the least of which was....*George Clooney George Clooney George Clooney* ::grins impishly:: Well, what can I say....a one-track mind indeed! Nonetheless, I well remember that first time I saw it, the whole way through I was nearly falling to the floor in hysterical laughter, my sides ached long with it....the whole theatre was rocking with it, too, and to me this says much about just how great the film is, its amazing, delightful, stylishly cunning and unique appeal....but how everyone seemed to connect with it just the same! Yes, it may not be what one might call "typical" multiplex fare, but what of it? People still love it and that's what matters. :)
And the DVD presentation in and of itself, well....even on my limited HT system it's plenty spectacular, and moved me to tears the first time I saw it in all its glory....mine, at long last! Indeed, I think one of the most fascinating and unique features on the DVD is that "Painting With Pixels" documentary-style thing; I had *no* idea they went to such lengths with it, really hadn't fathomed that so incredibly much was involved therein....which, thus, just makes me all the more ironclad certain that the Coen Brothers, and "O Brother", were manifestly *robbed* by the Oscars this past March! Harumph....
The way I see it is, "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", like other Coen films, may not necessarily be a film to everyone's tastes, that it might not be for the general multiplex crowd....but that's quite alright, isn't it? After all, as long as there are those of us who *do* deeply love and appreciate and understand these films, and see them for their real worth....then, to me, that is plenty enough and as much as anyone could ever hope for! :)
Dawn. (bonafide!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks