What's new

NYPD Blue Season 12 thread (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I loved the ending that was not really an ending. Much like the characters who are (as Jeff observes) allowed to grow and change (even if slowly) this is clearly not the end.
We know for instance that Andy will continue to be at odds with his superiors and will have the respect of his subordinates. The new detectives will stumble and learn and grow under his (and the rest of the squad’s tutelage). The squad will change—yet everything will remain the same.
A fine final shot, not of any person, but the pullback from Andy that shows us the empty squad room, the real core of the series.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Haven't watched the final episode yet, but really enjoyed the retrospective right before.

I had forgotten how incredible Gail O'Grady looked when she was on the show, especially in that "I'm all yours, Detective" scene with Gordon Clapp. Wow!

Rob

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
What a class act, the whole 2 hrs. were wonderful and bittersweet. I'm going to miss this series because it is one of the few quality shows left on television these days. Hats off the the writers and actors,actresses that made this series the one that all other drama series will have to look up to. You can't argue, with 26 Emmy awards, NYPD Blue deserves this honor. Thanks for 12 wonderful seasons..

todd s

Senior HTF Member
They ended it how I wanted...with things basically the same. Thus leaving it open for a 2 hour telemovie every once and a while.

ps-How bummed were those two actors who played the rookie detectives? Finally get on a great show...but its the last episode. :)

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad they didn't end it on too much of a happy/shiny/sappy note -- the work is still going on, there are battles being fought both in the street and in the office. You know Andy is going to run afoul of his superiors, and he may have to learn a lesson or two but he is going to do the job and find a way to cope with the BS.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
We came into this story in the middle, and we left it still going on. There was no story where Andy and John Kelly met, or where Andy joined the 15th. There was no concluding story where he retires, or dies, or walks away from the job. But in between there was nothing but change - not least in the fact that Sipowicz, who originally was meant to die at the end of the pilot and even later was never intended to be more than a second-banana, became the central character and the heart of the series. It was really nice to see Andy, who started out one inch from losing his job, his pension and his life, end up - after all the losses in between - as the squad's elder statesman, a happy man with a beautiful wife and a second family, who has battled his demons and beaten them, and who will go on being the decent man that was always buried somewhere inside him.

"Good-night, Boss."

Regards,

Joe

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I loved it. It was the perfect final episode. Life goes on. No big "Andy gets fired", or "Andy Retires". Just life goes on.

My favorite line . . .

"I don't think I can work for you"

"That's ok, I'm going to be bringing in my own people".

A fond farewell, 15th squad.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor

Make that third family.
He & 1st wife ==> Andy Jr. (RIP)
He & 2nd wife (Sylvia (RIP)) ==> Theo
He & 3rd wife ==> baby (I don't recall the name)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
OK, so I can't count. Or else I forgot about Andy J. and Katie. (Heck, even the writers forgot about Katie, so I'm in pretty good company. :)) I'm striving for a poetic appreciation of the series, Bonner's counting marriages and grading my arithmetic. :D

Joe

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor

Nah. No biggie. I've been thinking about how great this series was and recalling all of the heartache Andy suffered. That's why I remembered about his first wife (I forgot her name was Katie).

One word that Andy used quite often was "Boss". I was waiting for the moment in the final episode when somebody would call him Boss. As always the brilliant writers delivered with Clark Jr. calling Andy "Boss" with the final line of dialogue.

Great series...one of my all-time favorites.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor

I don't think they forgot about Katie, her story just played out. Remember, she came back into Andy's life after Sylvia's death, helping out with Theo. It progressed to the point where they were going to remarry, but Andy backed out because he realized that just providing a mom for Theo wasn't a good enough reason to marry someone he wasn't in love with. That had to hurt her a great deal, and it makes sense that they just parted ways at that point.

BTW, I thought the finale was great - indeed, I enjoyed the entire final season greatly. Nice to see a good show go out with class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks